Thread: will LW9 run in Rosetta at all?

will LW9 run in Rosetta at all?

boy oh boy, I REEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLY want to wait and get the new Intel Power Mac instead of the current quad but not knowing when LW will have a UB version is KILLING ME!!

I know I keep going on about this but the more I think about it the harder it gets to make a decision.

It looks as though the new Intel machines will be announced next week (rumour has it this Sunday? with availability as soon as next Friday) and to spend $8K on a PPC quad really feels wrong at this point but I HAVE to get a new machine pretty dang soon ( giving my current Mac to my sister for work related stuff-we own an ad agency together and shes needing my Mac ASAP!)

What a dilema...

HELP ME JEBUS!!

How in the name of Jebus are you able to push the price of the quad G5 to $8k!? Even with 8 gigs of RAM and the 7800 GT, it's "only" $5k.

Anyway, what I recomend is that you buy a PowerPC Mac, if you rely on high performance in non-universal applications, like Lightwave. However, you can also look into alternatives. For example, Cinema 4D is universal. And there's one more option: Buy the "Mac Pro" when it's released, and use Boot Camp to run the Windows version of Lightwave at full speed, then switch back to the Mac version once Lightwave goes universal.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Hey yeah! boot up in windows and run LW!

I didnt even think about that!

Thanks Captain

Oh, the price is with a 23" Dislplay and its actually about 7K

Hi,

I am not Jebus, though I do claim to speak on behalf of him from time to time.

Why on Earth would Apple would release a new machine next week? They never announce anything without some kind of 'event' surrounding it. That's just Job's way.

WWDC is Aug 7-11, which is only a few weeks away. That's when they announced the switch to Intel, so it would make sense for them to announce the final machine in their lineup then, too. I'm not a bettin' man, but if I were, that's the pony I'd stack the chips on.

Here's what you need to know, to make your decision: LW v9 is faster than v8. No matter what you buy next week, it will be HA HA SLOW compared to whatever they announce another few months from then.

I bought an Intel MacBook Pro, only to have it outclassed by a cheaper, faster, better one, 1 week later. It could happen to you!

-Chilton

Yeah Chilton, i'm sure that if Apple announces the new Macs that it will be during the show and not next week.

And yeah, I'll get a new Intel Mac and 2 months later Apple will announce that they are switching to AMD

FWIW, Apple higher-ups were seen at AMD's booth a few years ago. I guess that was while they were looking around at other chips.

Bruce Tognazzini, who I think used to head up Apple's User Interface group, once said that the screen is the most important part of the computer. Speed is nice, but the screen is where you 'live' while working.

The 23" flat screen is sweeeeeet. 30" is crazy big.

-Chilton

http://www.asktog.com is Bruce's current site.

Another option would be to buy a 2x2 GHz Power Mac G5 or something such immediately. If you buy a used older version, with two separate processors, it can probably be had pretty cheap. Then, when the "Mac Pro" is released, buy one of those too. Now you have an additional computer to render on. What's not to love about that?
    Are my spline guides showing?

I run LW v9 on an Intel iMac. Having some openGL issues on the layout side (it looks ugly and renders 10 times slower than 8.5 under Rosetta), but its better than 8.5 in modeler on my iMac. I simply refuse to give Microsoft any more of my money or install bootcamp. Besides if you install LW under bootcamp I suspect you'll be rebooting constantly if your doing any texturing, unless you have MS versions of your programs like Photoshop or ZBrush or whatever.

However, I haven't been using Lightwave much lately because the latest version of Blender runs better than Lightwave on my IntelMac, and I can play with the code. Doing some interesting things with the GLUT frameworks.