Thread: help with blowing sand

help with blowing sand

can anyone point me in the direction of tutorial for making some sand that is blowing over a partially buried object? naturally, i was thinking along the particle emitter lines, or perhaps single point polygons. any suggestions? hypervoxels maybe, but i have yet to use them in anything, as i'm teaching myself this stuff on a "as needed for my current project basis".
    AWAKEN TO A DIGITAL DAWN

Creator of the Strange Skinner3D's Avatar
    It depends on whether or not you want the object to become more buried during the course of the animation. If not the blowing sand should be fairly easy. Just set up a particle emitter and either have a wind effector or set the emitter properties to have the vector that you want. You will have to mess around with the coloring in the HV panel, but you are going to want a volume particle although you may be able to get away with a sprite.

I am not familiar enough with 9 yet to be able to tell you if there is an easier way to do this.

Hope this helps.
    Every time I think about Marvin the Paranoid Android, I realize just how good my life is.

My site http://www.freewebs.com/skinner3d

Off the top of my brain, visualising the blowing sand with sprite-mode HVs with a fair bit of Stretch along their velocity would probably work.

For building sand up around a part-buried object, using morphs to pull a subdivided plane up into a cone-shaped drift around your part-buried object is probably the easiest way.

As to getting realistic puffs and gusts of sand.... hmm! Lots of fiddling, and quite probably using multiple particle sources and winds. The Wind Path tool in 9 may actually be quite useful for that.

Let us know how you get on!
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

well, 9 is irrelevant, because i'm still using 7 (gasp!).basically i was looking to to have a half buried face with the sand just kind of wisping over it while it slowly sinks below, a la quicksand. it looks kinda cool without the wisping sand but being me i don't want "kinda cool" i want "holy slapnuts, that's ****ing awesome" , to use the vernacular.
    AWAKEN TO A DIGITAL DAWN

In which case you're probably going to be looking at a lot of work, my friend!

What's your timeframe/budget?
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    7 has dynamics, no?

Just model your sand object, then make it an emitter and dissolve it 100%, set emitter to object surface, add a wind object, and you're pretty set. Playing with the emitter and wind properties should get you where you want to be.

perhaps i'll get 9.until then the blowing sand will have to wait i guess. maybe in a couple of months i'll try it...getting ahead of myself...thanks anyway though, guys.
    AWAKEN TO A DIGITAL DAWN

Amazingly Lifelike
    I don't think you need to wait for ver. 9 for what you want; 7 should be able to do particles in the wind. If I recall, Dan Ablan's "Inside Lightwave 7" had two nice chapters on particle animation that would be worth checking out.