Thread: anyone Deaf there online

Newbie Member

anyone Deaf there online

Hello my name byron i am Deaf i ask you know some those in newtek in there online Deaf something ?? please let m know thank you

Not deaf here (just sometimes hard of hearing), but why would it matter? Hearing has nothing to do with making great 3D work. Hearing has nothing to do with posting here either. There are plenty of great free tutorials in PDF and HTML form, and some great books to help you learn LightWave. Also, you can learn a tremendous amount by studying work by others in the Work In Progress (WIP) Gallery. So go for it and post some of your work in the WIP gallery so we can help you and so we can learn from you too!
    Welcome to the community!
    -Jeff
    Product Design+Development: www.jeffrutan.com

yeah,
    Deaf or not, there's a lot of stuff out there.

But... if you are looking for folk that are "Deaf Aware", I'm one of them. I have sorenson if you need to talk to someone and I work with the deaf everyday. (Or just have to talk to someone deaf -- unless I'm mad at my wife. ;} )

Get as many of the vids as you can find as watching them will go a long way. And if there are things in the vids that don't make sense, when you come to ask a question make it clear that the audio is of no use to you. I know of at least one person trying to caption his tutorial material but I don't remember who.

You've joined a great community. Good luck!

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byronfilmasl
    Hello my name byron i am Deaf i ask you know some those in newtek in there online Deaf something ?? please let m know thank you
    Not deaf, well, not fully.
    Lost all hearing in my left ear a couple of years back and it do make my life difficult, though not my 3D.

Actually, I can use it as an excuse to carry on working as I "didn't hear" the wife calling me from downstairs.... NOT that I would ever do such a thing of course.

The only time being deaf is a hinderance in 3D is if you're using video tutorials.
    I wonder if there is software out there that would do speech recognition and put it up as type on the screen?
    Too old to die young.

Pronounced Inarticulate
    I captioned the first two IK boost video tutorials (link in sig).
    I did have deaf and partially deaf in mind, but mostly it was for people that may not have English as a first language or may be watching in a noisy environment. Combine that with my 'dialect' of language and what is probably a strong local accent... I thought the soundtrack needed help!

Captioning for deaf / partially deaf is a skill in itself and I dont claim any expertise there, so I realise my captioning could potentially make the videos less useful for the partially deaf.

As regards the tutorials and further captioning themselves, I have abandoned doing any more under the [8] cycle. As the intention is to consolidate all into a full programme for 9, I hope to caption those fully.

What other improvements could be made to the likes of Newtek documentation / 3rd party tutorials to make them more accessible for deaf people.

Could the programmes be improved?

One time a I had a dream of making a library of poses & motions for sign-language, but after thinking about it - I realise I'm the wrong person to do something like that. I would definitly be interested in helping where I could if anyone ever did go for a project like this though.

I've done a few of those, omeone, and it can be quite convoluted real fast!

That would be a fun project as I think 3d lends itself well to portraying signs and how to put it all together as the language of ASL.
    Lightwave as a text-based app is one of the best for teaching in a deaf environment.

not deaf, but i do rudimentary ASL.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Pronounced Inarticulate
    Sign Language is very localised as well, AFAIK? American being different to British, different to French, German ete etc..

I'm curious... if it were possible to have a straight English <-> ASL dictionary: How many entries?

And how 'straight' could you make those translations?

Also, how good/bad is VT's facility for captioning? would there be any tie-in?

Gosh yes, omeone, very localized: NY and Texas sign differently and one can often see the 'dialect' in the signs.

It would be quite convoluted because english has so many weird idioms. Also, if a word isn't in 'vogue', for lack of a better term, then it has no sign equivalent and is spelled out.

John Perkins may have a cc utility for VT but I'm unsure as to whether he's gotten the 'git er done' approval to make it happen. Nonetheless, NewTek has removed earlier barriers to captioning with VT and it can now be part of the cc process.

An aside:
    Way back on the AmigaToaster, I made a captioning app with AmigaVision using the Toaster to overlay...

Those were the days...