Thread: Collisionmeshes

Collisionmeshes

After putzing around with half-life 2 our game dev team came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough support for our coders for what we wanted to do. We want to make a fresh 3rd person game, not a fps mod. We began looking into Torque as a possibility. I was wondering just how the collision detection worked for walls and props. Can we import models from lightwave and have them work with collision detection? e.g. level meshes (walls) tables etc. ?? I'm by no means a coder but I thought I'd ask on their behalf.

Not BANNED!, and quit claiming you are. - The Mods somnambulance's Avatar
    I wouldnt use Torque if I were you. If you really insist on it, I will sell you my licence.

As for collision mesh; I am pretty sure the Doom engine is really dialed in for using LW, and I know ID sets up collision mesh for everything in their levels. I know it is a FPS, but it has a level editor and you can just change the camera to 3rd person. Unreal engine has a great level editor, and adding collision mesh is easy there as well.

I have tried and tried to use Torque... I dont remember seeing anything about collision mesh in the documentation I read. That doesnt mean it isnt there, I just never got to the point with that engine where I needed to think about it.
    Last edited by somnambulance; 06-01-2006 at 05:11 PM.

So what kind of frustrations or obstacles did you encounter with Torque. I know this is a large can of worms but I'm not afraid to ask for obvious reasons.
    I really appreciate the reply. Doom3 is really nice but again, not much support for those newer engines. One more question: Are there actually MD5 animation exporters for lightwave now that actually work?
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 06-01-2006 at 06:04 PM.

I am not positive about the animated md5's actually working or not. I just DL'ed the .exe again and it reminded me of this thread. Check out idDevNet.com for info about the Doom 3 engine.

Torque... seems like everything is more difficult. Importing your models, file managment, placing models, creating levels... AHHEEGGGHHH!!!! Really it was the level editor. I was using a Mac only at the time too which added to my frustration, as I couldnt use a BSP editor. Really, anything I wanted to do I could have done from the free demo. It probably isnt bad if you have a programmer and get a good level editor for it. DL the demo and mod it a bit to get a feel for it, and if you like it keep in mind I have an indie licence for sale.

edit: also, if you look into doom, there is Doom3World.org for additional support. Unreal and Doom have been around for a long time, there is a huge ammount of support for those engines compared to anything else. If they havent given up on the Hafelife engine yet, I think a lot of the users at ModDB.com use Half Life and could either help or point them in another direction.
    Last edited by somnambulance; 06-05-2006 at 10:41 AM.

I can imagine making games on a mac might be a little more difficult. Aside from that it sounds like the tools or whatever need a face lift. I do recall there are other level editors that work with Torque. BTW, Which version of Torque do you have? As far as support for Doom3 and HalfLife2, there was far too much hunting around for information I think and the Wiki seemed pretty watered down for any stage in the pipeline. I would much rather have a manual for our coders. I mean I can't imagine learning lightwave without a manual, why should we expect our coders to do the same with a game engine source?

I'd personly take a look at nebula2 in stead of torque. And we are close to finishing the LW exporter.

It is an indie licence (3D), so I can download the latest version. I just checked and it would let me DL TGE SDK 1.4.0. No shader engine, but you have to have TGE on top of it anyway.

Thanks Guys, I'll get back to you. Appreciate the help