Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 308

Thread: New 3D app now available....

  1. #1
    Super Member Snosrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    4,923

    New 3D app now available....

    Just downloaded and installed m*d* 201. My first impression? LW is in good shape. Loaded some LW scenes to see what it could do and it's dog slow. Moving objects and cameras and lights are very slow and not very intuitive. FPrime is much faster than their "I-View". Rendering is OK, but not what they cracked it up to be. I think 9 will be on par or better. I loaded a scene with many textures and it took a long time to load and then the textures came in as a real long list of named text, rather confusing at this point and on large scenes may be a real challenge to keep track of. Naturally I just started with it, but my first thought is that I wasted some major coin, luckily for me I have some cash coming my way from a LW job. I'll play around with it some more, but in no way look for it to take over my LW workflow. LW is alive and well.

    Cheers
    Snos

  2. #2
    Yeah, I'm still playing about with the 101 demo, and I'm not finding the workflow intuitive at all. Looked like a great way to save about a grand....you know, by not buying it.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Banned oDDity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,517
    Modo has some really great ideas in it, but it failed to lure me from lightwave.
    For orgranic modeling particualrly, which is what I do, modo is way below LW.

  4. #4
    Running at 29.97 fps Titus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,839
    oDDity: Your models are really great!

  5. #5
    Valiant NewTeKnight Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, USA
    Posts
    13,054
    Not that it's any concern on this LIGHTWAVE forum, but I'll be checking out the demo, can't hurt right?

    But I don't regret buying the LW9 upgrade for one second, and the LW9 cycle will prove to be very interesting I feel, I've invested too much in LW to bin it just when things are getting good again!

    But having some stiff competition is a very good thing, keeps NT on their toes!

    Just my thoughts!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek
    __________________________________________________
    www.pixsim.co.uk : LightWave Video Tutorials & Tools


  6. #6
    Defender of Mankind Emmanuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,079
    "Modeling at the speed of thought" is a bit exaggerated, only zBrush allows for that
    modo's cool new modeling tools (pen tool) look seriously great, though...and the renderer seems absolutely gorgeous.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

    ----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

  7. #7
    normally i am different ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Close to the baltic sea, nearly in it
    Posts
    1,904
    The renderer doesn't convince me, it looks like C4D's renderer, too cg'ish.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

  8. #8
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by ingo
    The renderer doesn't convince me, it looks like C4D's renderer, too cg'ish.
    Lol... good one. Especially since the app hasn't even been released for 24 hours yet...
    How long did it take until the first really good LW render showed up?
    You can also bet that a lot of the tech is quite similar to LW...

    Cheers,
    Mike

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    113
    IMHO I think modo 201 is a success. It is what was promised. I use an enjoy LW and find no reason anyone should be afraid of anyone. But I found the new instancing generators, painting, integrated I-View, SSS and the very clean rendering to be a big plus. Michael is right about the renders, right now everyone is still testing the waters with every single option just to get a feel of it. Even the beta renders were still sort of testing things out. Time will tell how realistic renders will lok, if that's what you are looking for. And as mentioned earlier, it wouldn't hurt to try a demo out sometime.

    Yazan

  10. #10
    Valiant NewTeKnight Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, USA
    Posts
    13,054
    I think the renderer will be quite capable of creating photoreal, grimy looking scenes TBH, wouldn't worry about that.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek
    __________________________________________________
    www.pixsim.co.uk : LightWave Video Tutorials & Tools


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap
    Just downloaded and installed m*d* 201. My first impression? LW is in good shape. Loaded some LW scenes to see what it could do and it's dog slow. Moving objects and cameras and lights are very slow and not very intuitive. FPrime is much faster than their "I-View". Rendering is OK, but not what they cracked it up to be. I think 9 will be on par or better. I loaded a scene with many textures and it took a long time to load and then the textures came in as a real long list of named text, rather confusing at this point and on large scenes may be a real challenge to keep track of. Naturally I just started with it, but my first thought is that I wasted some major coin, luckily for me I have some cash coming my way from a LW job. I'll play around with it some more, but in no way look for it to take over my LW workflow. LW is alive and well.

    Cheers
    Snos
    A bit premature, don't you think? I have to agree with Micheal - it's complete nonsense to expect perfect renders from a program that has been available for not even 24 hours. Once we all learn how to tame the beast, things will surely improve.

    I agree, though, that iView isn't what I believed it to be. It's rather flakey and could need improvement.

    Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

  12. #12
    I will give it a try when I finish my actual architectural competition...
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

  13. #13
    Banned oDDity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,517
    No one is denying that modo is, and will be, a great 3d app, but the modo users are some of the biggest fanboys I've ever heard, and try to convince everyone that modo is the greatest program ever written, and anyone who doesn't 'convert' to it is somehow mentally backward.
    We'd all love to see some of those nifty features in LW though, thats for sure....

  14. #14
    Yes some of those peoples are there, but here also, thats for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by oDDity
    No one is denying that modo is, and will be, a great 3d app, but the modo users are some of the biggest fanboys I've ever heard, and try to convince everyone that modo is the greatest program ever written, and anyone who doesn't 'convert' to it is somehow mentally backward.
    We'd all love to see some of those nifty features in LW though, thats for sure....
    mfg mouse_arts

  15. #15
    Deep Diver duderender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Port Moody, BC
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by oDDity
    but the modo users are some of the biggest fanboys I've ever heard, and try to convince everyone that modo is the greatest program ever written, and anyone who doesn't 'convert' to it is somehow mentally backward.
    That's too rich... especially coming form a Lightwave forum... don't put that mirror away quite yet... come on.. chastising modo users for being fanboys.. LOL look around to a lot of the Lightwave users' posts...

    too rich man.. at least I had a chuckle... pot calling the kettle black... nice.
    CG Software is but a tool, only a tool. You don't fall in love with a hammer do you?

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •