Thread: Live switching & lyrics projection

Newbie Member

Live switching & lyrics projection

My church is using VT4 for live switching and using an external PC running opensong software for lyrics projection and powerpoint for sermons. We use an overlay box to overlay lyrics on video at the moment. We definitely have no problem with lyrics projection and video switching and all. Tried to bypass the overlay box but we cant do smooth transitions of lyrics over video. We can only do "cut" effect between video when switching. Other effects are not possible...

Is there any solution for me if I would like to bypass the overlay box for lyrics? And at the same time retain smooth transitions and also able to use DVEs for transition?

Here's a very thorough discussion of the topic:
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthr...t=38757&page=5

Read the whole thread for more info... but near the bottom of Page 5, specifically, explains how I got around the issue you are having.

Also - a suggestion that will be widely articulated around here - STOP USING PPT for your sermon overlays! VT can handle this much better. It just means you have to train your people to stop working in PPT. You can use the CG editor, or do like me - create all your CGs in Photoshop, then drop them into a DDR. This will look much better than overlaying PPT. Heck - worst case scenario - keep building them in PPT, and then export them outta PPT (Save As - PNG), then drop those PNGs into the DDR.

Good Luck!
    Jamie Sanfilippo
    Programming Pastor
    The Meeting House

[email protected]

Newbie Member
    Hi Jamie,
    Thanks for your reply. But what if i m using another PC to work on the lyrics projection? Am using Open Song for it (another software that works similarly like EasyWorship but it's free! ).

Basically, instead of having 1 CG doing all the work of cueing up clips for playback in DDR, & lyrics operator, etc, I have 2 CGs. One will just control the lyrics and the other will work on VT4. This is my current setup, do u happen to have any other better solution for me? Thx

Rach

Rach,

You'll have to use iVGA to overlay the lyrics off another computer. I have never used it, but my understanding (this may have changed recently - i dunno) is that you cannot put an iVGA source into the DSK. It goes in the Preview bus, and then you key it from there. Which means you cannot use your preview bus for sources, and therefore, cannot dissolve from one source to another.... you have to simply take sources from the Program bus.

Check me on this - seems to me that this may have changed recently - you may be able to put iVGA directly into the DSK... in which case, everything will work great.

jamie
    Jamie Sanfilippo
    Programming Pastor
    The Meeting House

[email protected]

Newbie Member
    meanwhile (version 4.6, build 6016) you can put the ivga-source into the dsk.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanfilippo
    Check me on this - seems to me that this may have changed recently - you may be able to put iVGA directly into the DSK... in which case, everything will work great.
    Yes, i tried putting iVGA into the DSK, it does work fine but my problem now is that i cant use any DVEs while doing switching. i can only do a fade in/out. hmm... looks like i gotta use my current setup, ie using the overlay box to do both overlaying of lyrics and to be able to use every other thing that VT4 has to offer.

If you can send SVGA out to the projector (if you have a 2-output video card) use the iVGA keyer instead. The iVGA keyer is located in the controls for configuring the sVGA output. Just set it up to key you lyrics from the iVGA feed, and when you don't want anything overlayed, have the lyrics computer displaying a blank (key color) screen.

This has a couple of advantages. First it doesn't limit use of the DSK or DVEs on the switcher. Second it does the key at SVGA instead of downresing your iVGA feed to standard definition so your text is at higher resolution.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Newbie Member

But while the key looks great...

...the video looks crappy on the demo that I say...whooooo, ugly.