Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camera Question

New Camera Question

It's new camera time, and I seem to see the JVC GY-HD100U in just about every magazine I pick up.
    Looking for some real world experience, I suspect some of you guys (and gals) have bought the camera.
    I'm interested in overall impressions such as:
    Quality of the picture? How are your getting the output into VT? How do you plan to get it in after VT5 is available.

How easy use? Control layout, menu system, and so on.

What batteries are you using, the JVC pack or Anton Bauer's?

Glad you bought it, or wish you had something else?

Thanks for time to to answer, don't get the money for a new camera often, so I can't affort to make a mistake.
    Lew

I am about to buy this camera. I was sold on the panisonic but we went to NAB and ended up opting for the JVC. there are two models to look at also. the GY-HD200U and the GY-HD250U. You will have to look into the prices and new features to decide what is best for you. I am still not sure if we will get the 100 or the 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    It's new camera time, and I seem to see the JVC GY-HD100U in just about every magazine I pick up.

Thanks for time to to answer, don't get the money for a new camera often, so I can't affort to make a mistake.
    Lew
    I've only been able to play with the camera at NAB but the one thing about it that bothers me is that, in *every* example of footage I've seen with it the highlights are blown out too much for my taste.

If you don't want to make a mistake with a camera then you had better get some hands on time with it before you buy. I would see if the dealer you normally buy from will let you take it out for a test spin under your nomral shooting conditions to see how well you like it.
    Chuck Dotson
    visual concept productions

Lew, As chuck said, get your hands on what you want to buy first. Use a dealer that will let you use it for a while. My dealer let me have the HVX200 for a full week before I bought a newly boxed one.

I sat through the JVC demo and my recomendation would be to wait for the 200 or 250. But like everythng, (and you need to mention it here), it all depends on what you want to use it for.

My reason for going with the HVX wasn't for any ONE reason other then the fact that I could take most any job that came in from mini-DV to DVCPro 100. Film looks, frame rates all the buzz words that different clients "think" they need, this camera can do it.

Being the Swiss Army Knife of the camera world, I was willing to change from VT to FCP if that's what it took to utilize the flexability and versatility of the HVX 200.

Do your homework and be happy with what you get. All these cameras will work, it just depends on your priorities. I'm impressed with all of them for different reasons.
    I wish you luck.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I just got one about six weeks ago. The pictures it takes are incredible! Gorgeous. I love the focus assist, and the peaking and the color (switchable to B&W) viewfinder, plus the side lcd. It fills in all the gaps or short comings of the GY-DV500 which is what I upgraded from. Plus it is high def! It is slightly smaller and lighter (not much, though). It has a record button up on top of the handle also (where your thumb goes) which I really like. It makes nice pictures in low light, but it does require more light than the DV500 did.
    I use the Anton Bauer batteries with it. They provide over an hour and a half of record time versus just a half hour with the batteries that are included. Only two things missing for some reason they don't include shoulder strap, and for some reason there is not acces. screw hole on the top for me to mount my on camera Anton Bauer light. The DV-500 had one. I'm sure there is an adapter to put it on the slide on shoe (whatever you call it) which is present.
    The camera is one incredible piece of equipment, though! I don't think you would be sorry.
    I currently capture with Cineform's HD Connect and the VT automatically scales the AVI files to SD size (it doesn't downconvert, it just resizes, so you can still pan and scan). When VT[5] comes out I will ditch HD Connect and use VT's capture.

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar
    Try the XL-H1, you won't regret it. We just got one and it's the best camera I've ever owned.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Don't forget to also compare Sony's XDCAM HD offerings.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Thanks everyone, very valuable information. Getting some hands on time with various cameras is a great idea but my location and situation make this very difficult. I will, however, travel and at least spend a few hours with my final choice befor purchase.

I currently am shooting in DVCPRO 25, and I'm really looking both to replace an aging Panasonic AJ-D210 and to provide a way to ease into the HD business as inexpensively as possible. One advantage I see is being able to use my DVCPRO source deck to feed the VT as long as I stay SD. Guess I would have to use the camera as the source for HD, but I sure can't afford a HD edit deck at this point.

Thanks for the other camera suggestions, isn't it great to have so many good ones to choose from?

Lew-
    If you were going to be doing multi-camera live switch work it would be a choice between the Canon XL H1 and the JVC HD250, since both have genlock in features and CCUs to give you maximum camera control. I was hoping that Canon would bring out a new wider angle non-LANC control lens at NAB, but that didn't happen. On the other hand the JVC will have five different industrial and broadcast lenses to choose from in a couple of months, one of which will be remote controllable. I've been doing some research and to my knowlege no one on the West Coast is using the the H1 in a studio config even though it has the "Console" control option. And cobbling together a camera cable for a couple of H1s would be prototypical and problematic when compared to the 26 pin camera cable connector on the housing the HD250 will slide into.
    But it sounds like you're only looking for one camera. In that case I'd have to agree with Cholo, the H1 has got a slight edge in image quality over the HD250 (if it's no better than the HD100) and is cheaper, since the 250 comes without a lens. Still the 250 has imbedded audio on the HD-SDI out (the H1 doesn't), it has 60p versus 1080i (some say that's an advantage), it's more easily convertible to a studio configuration, and those five Fujinon 1/3" lenses point me in the direction of the JVC.

Quote Originally Posted by BobF
    Lew-
    But it sounds like you're only looking for one camera.
    and those five Fujinon 1/3" lenses point me in the direction of the JVC.
    I agree with your reasoning. I'm a single person shop, so if I do two cameras, one is set up as a static shot, and I time them in post. Obviously I don't do live switching.

The flexability of the new lenses, and the availability of the dual tape and hard disk recorder are causing me to lean to the JVC. Looking as comparison specs on the quality of the cameras, there is little or no difference. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Otherwise, it seems which picture you like best is a matter of taste.

Newbie Member
    We've got four of these for student use and we've found a design flaw in the main viewfinder (not the flip-out) that causes them to break under light pressure. We've had to send all four viewfinders back for multiple repairs but JVC is refusing to admit it's a design flaw.

Now this might not be a problem if you're gentle with your kit but for a rough and tumble multi-user environment they're just not solid enough. Which is a pity because they're great in every other way.
    Darcy O'Bree
    Media Facilities Manager
    Faculty of Arts, Media and Design
    Staffordshire University
    United Kingdom

Thanks for the heads up Darcy. Since I'm almost always the one using the camera, and I'm till using one I bought in 1991, that is not a great concern for me - but certaily something to be carefull about.

I take my VT with 2 lumps JReble's Avatar
    I wasn't going to hop in on this topic because I didn't want to drop any unfriendly remarks, but I'll just say this so I don't feel guilty for saying nothing...

Been a Broadcast Engineer for over 12 years. Had many, many different camera systems, VTRs, and assorted broadcast and consumer components in my systems over the years. I can say without question through many, many personal examples and those of several others, that one major Japanese manufacturer has consistently had serious problems with quality control issues and numerous manufacturing defects. This was far beyond anything experienced with alternative manufacturers. At the same time, there was a long term consistent lack of acknowledgement of known issues and defects or any proactive technical and customer support. I'm not bashing anyone or anything, just relaying a well ingrained lesson I have learned all too well in the hopes that it may spare at least one other the pain of learning the same lessons. I leave it to the readers imagination to determine of whom I speak.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Do you perhaps mean JVC's reputation of having cheap capacitor problems, such as I and many others I know experiences with our X2 camcorders over the years?
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Someone help make up my mind for me
    Nothing seems to be ideal.

Bob
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast