Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Discovery... Yet Again... What has to happen Newtek???

Lightwave Discovery... Yet Again... What has to happen Newtek???

You know I've posted about this subject before.

I am now posting again. Honestly because I truly do want Newtek, Chuck Baker, and ANYONE who can for ONE MOMENT act on this issue that is sooooo far overdue that it's absolutely ridiculous and shameful.

I get many e-mails from people who are looking to get into 3d either for a living, or hobby etc.

And I generally try to send them Newtek's way to check out Lightwave. But you know if they can't use your product to demo they probably won't buy it.

Here is a VERY VERY VERY VERY (did I say VERY??) simple solution.

Post a link on your homepage.

I'll even give you the HTML so your web guy doesn't have to code it:

<a href="ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw75d/LW75dPCUpdate.exe">Lightwave
    Demo Version</a>

OR you could simply post this text SOMEWHERE on your homepage:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/Lig...5dPCUpdate.exe

I would recommend the HTML link though but for GOD'S SAKE put SOMETHING up there!!!!

I believe the future of this company, HONESTLY, depends on it.

You want more money? Want more sales? Want more people to buy your product so that those of us who use it can benefit from your good fortune?

DO THIS!

Ok I'm never posting about this again. I have before a couple times, and I will not ever again. I'm tired of trying Newtek. If I could bill you I would.

It is now up to you Newtek. It's up to you. I've basically done the job for you here in this post. A simple copy and paste. I can even make you a little logo if you want

And perhaps it's up to eveyone else who uses this product to complain. I don't know. I'm really not sure what it will take to get this company to TRY and bring in new people.

Here is the said e-mail I just recieved from an aspiring 3d artist after I found the link for him:

Wow, thank you SO much for that lightwave demo! I
    NEVER would have found it, i searched high and low for
    that! I do actually like the interface though, it's
    not very "pretty" as you say but it's not as
    cluttered. The screenshots of the interface reminded
    me of the Blender interface, and i HATE the blender
    interface. But thanks so much man because i think i
    will go and get lightwave, but only after i check out
    a few tutorials first. THANKS!

Justin

And if you doubt the authenticity of the e-mail Newtek... Chuck... anyone... shoot me an e-mail my website is in my sig... I'm done.
    Jamie Clark
    SamJam design

Great idea, long overdue...

I too have had people wonder about getting a demo version, (like the other @#$#%^& software companies) since I am presenting Lightwave, and recommending it to others. It should be simple, right in your face easy, front page stuff. I would love to see someone (?????) from Newtek, take care of this and post a thank you to you for reminding them, and making it extra easy. I boggles the mind that this isn't always in front of the priority list!!!! I appreciate your suggestion, and I have linked people to the address that you posted, since there is no other.....
    Paul
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

I know that you can request a tril of LightWave to be maild to you but it would be a lot less hassel to just download a demo off the internet. Almost every other profesinal 3D website I have ever been to has a free demo and I'm really surprised that NewTek hasn't done this yet.
    Triboot-

XP:Work, play, ect.
    Vista:... I don't know.
    Ubuntu: Developing on Linux also...

Pentium 4 2.8 GH
    GeForce 7600 256 MB AGP 8x
    Driver:163.75(WinXP)
    1 GB RAM

LW Watcher
    Head, wall, against, banging and brick come to mind..

It has been mentioned several times that once Lightwave 9 arrives in the next month or two, that a demo will finally be available.

HRGiger-
    It has been mentioned several times that once Lightwave 9 arrives in the next month or two, that a demo will finally be available.
    Not only a demo but a full time limited demo rather then point, scene, render limited demo
    Brent

I know when I first checked out Newtek (as you can see by the number of my posts, versus my actual join date), I couldn't find any info about a demo anywhere (hard-copy or download). Someone mentioned to me that I should actually call Newtek for the demo; so I did, and it was mailed to me. But I agree, it should be front page stuff (and downloadable). But waiting for it in the mail seems to take quite a bit of time as well.

-Keith
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Hey Jamie, come back to Eden FX fer cryin out loud!

ok, thats off my chest....

I know that many people here on the forum help direct possible customers to what I would call the "Unofficial demo". Heck a few even have it linked in thier signature.

It is odd that I can get Maya and 3d studio demos pretty easy every time I wanna try thier new releases.

I've been with Lightwave since 4.0 day 1 so I never really think about a demo. Yet I do hear people saying they tried Max and Maya but can't seem to find a Lightwave demo. Even my younger brother had mentioned this to me when he bought his new computer.

Chuck and CO. should jump on this idea since it is pretty much standard with most all other 3d software ( i.e. Newtek's competition ).

You and I both know that when you sit someone down with Maya, 3D studio and Lightwave that most people gel to Lightwave quicker since its the interfaces (modeler or Layout) are the most user friendly of the major apps.

I think maybe this post will be enough of a ripple to make change.

If not, I'll buy the beer next time we get Pizza

So...Please Chuck, save Jamie from the horrible fate of free beer!
    -----------------
    KC

NewTek really does need to be more aggressive. And I'm not just talking about demos, I'm talking about their general marketing strategy... or lack thereof.

LightWave is a fantastic piece of software. Let people know about it!

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    But how many people looking for the demo *now* will be trawling the forums about this? How many of them will be bothered to wait or investigate further? I've spotted mention of the demo version on the LW9 FAQ.

Really there should be a prominent mention of the LW discovery edition and how you can get it, with plenty of encouraging words to really make you want to try LW. The current situation is absurd.

I did read somewhere on this site either a post from Chuck or Jay that when LW9 is out they plan to release a demo. Without the current Discovery mode limitations.

So maybe they're waiting for that.

But in the meantime, why not post a link to a demo, then have a page saying it will be available soon, if you want to be notified of it's release then fill in this email form.

Just a thought, but I do agree with Imatk, it's simply a missed opportunity from a marketing viewpoint, it's may even be misconcieved that NewTek have something to hide?
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    But in the meantime, why not post a link to a demo, then have a page saying it will be available soon, if you want to be notified of it's release then fill in this email form.
    Absolutely. They could even put in the support number if they really are shipping out CDs by post. If nothing else, they could at least capture contact details to send out the demos in the future. They could even mail out a small discount voucher to keep the interst of those patient enough to wait.

A lot of people who don't know Newtek would wonder what kind of company it is that doesn't have a demo of their product.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBoy
    NewTek really does need to be more aggressive. And I'm not just talking about demos, I'm talking about their general marketing strategy... or lack thereof.

LightWave is a fantastic piece of software. Let people know about it!

I'm not harrasing you WhiteBoy, just wanted to cut NewTek some slack. NewTek did several double page articles in 3Dworld last year (several months in a row, maybe they still do it, I don't know).

The articles were the (edited) user-profiles on NewTek-europe. The articles were designed in the grid of the magazine so they apeared to be editorial articles. There was just a little line at the top of the article stating that this was an advertorial.

In my view that is good marketing, every month showing people what cool things are made with Lightwave.

Making a demo available is good marketing too, but from what I've read in tis thread thats gonna be taken care of in a few months

regards, Simon

NewTek has been saying that "a demo is coming" for a few years now. I'll believe it when I see it. And I'll believe the resurrection of Inspire when I see it also.

For those to whom it may be a comfort -

To confirm our previous statements, yes, our Discovery Edition will be very much different when 9.0 launches, and will be available by download. As a matter of fact the work on the DE is in progress at the moment. The original DE features are still in place, and that mode is how the software will operate when there is no dongle and the software has not been activated with the new 30-day DE key. With the 30-day DE key, the software does everything except network rendering. No watermarks, point limits, etc.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast