Thread: Where's Foundation?

Where's Foundation?

Okay, maybe I'm just slow when it comes to industry news .. but what happened to Foundation Imaging? ( http://www.foundation-i.com/ ) Did the URL change, did the company change it's name, or *gasp* did the company fold?

C'ya
    Last edited by Nigel; 02-17-2003 at 05:57 PM.

I haven't confirmed this, but apparently they've been out of business for a few months...sad to hear if true.

Damn, that is sad if true. Such a successful, and talented company.
    Was Voyager the last thing they worked on?

Well, considering that Ron 'parted company' from the company he originally started last year, I think that alone indicated things weren't probably going to well...

Maybe someone can give us some 'accurate' info on this, rather then we all speculate?

Didn't Larry Shultz used to work for them? Maybe he knows something? Larry?

I'd not heard anything about this, but its very sad if its true

James..
    uh wha?

Foundation

Yep, FI went down, officially towards the middle or end of last year. The last big show there (big, as in employing a lot of animators) was _Dan Dare_ which finished up at the beginning of last year (if it even lasted that long). _Enterprise_ was the last high-profile series that came out of there, as I recall, but i'm pretty sure that they did no shots for the second season.

To tell you the truth, the rapid expansion and equally rapid contraction of the LW houses in LA around 99-2001 wasn't a real healthy state of affairs. True, it did keep a lot of animators working in the industry, but as a long-term means of operation, it was certainly far from ideal.

I've heard that Ron is involved in setting up a new shop, but I've heard no details, nor have I googled for any press releases or the like.

-Doc, noting the curse of _Max Steel_ hasn't taken Mainframe down yet...

I'm not shure if the term is right and if they filed for banckrupcy but at least Foundation sold assets in a public auction.

http://test.deathfall.com/article.php?sid=1709

Sorry not FI related but Titus your Avatar absolutely rocks. So many unwasted hours of my youth spent reading Asterix.

Originally posted by eheupel
    Sorry not FI related but Titus your Avatar absolutely rocks. So many unwasted hours of my youth spent reading Asterix.
    yup.. me too. that and "tintin".
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Foundation Imaging officially closed its doors back in Oct of 2002.
    Sad but this came as no surprise to anyone who was or had been working there. They struggled a long time to get work in but this last year and half was brutal out in Hollywood after the writers strike, actors strike and 9/11. There was also some management issues which caused Ron to decide to leave months earlier. This actually happens to many studios. They come and go. You end up seeing lots of people at different places that you worked with elsewhere.