Thread: iVGA support.

iVGA support.

Hi, It's me again. I got a VT4 for my church and I got some question here about iVGA. Before that let me explain my setup and what my church wants to output. I got 1 PC with Powerpoint that controls all the worship songs and this PC is installed with iVGA and its link to my VT4. I need to key out the PPT background in order to overlay the songs on top of my video. To overlay the songs using iVGA, I got to use Keyer to keyout the background. If I use this method that I will not be able to switch camera using all the nice DVEs. I can only do a cut from my cam to another. Is there any other method to make my switching from 1 can to another using the DVEs while having my songs overlayed on top of them?

regards
    sha

My solution to this problem was to run Easyworship on the VT machine, rather than on another computer (will work the same with PPT, but Easyworship is much easier to work with).... here's a post from awhile ago explaining how I do it. I am able to use Dissolves and any other DVE with this method.

Run Easyworship, or Mediashout, or any other similar program (even PPT - yuck!) ON THE NEWTEK computer. I've added a second graphics card (Matrox G550 PCI card) so I can do up to 4 monitors.

Set VT to only use 1 monitor. Drag some of the modules (ie DDRs or VT Visions) onto another screen - yes you can do this even though VT is only on 1 screen.

Put Easyworship (or other) control screen on a monitor (I share it with the monitor my DDRs are on), and set the Easyworship program out for a third monitor. I found 4 monitors got a bit overkill for this.

Run VGA Capture utility and select the screen you've put Easyworship program to. Set a solid colour background. Pick that colour in the chromakey colour box.

You can now select that as a DSK source.

Caution - don't try to use a transition between slides on your Easyworship program. They don't key so nicely. You can certainly use transitions between Cameras in VT, though!

This was my theory for some time, and now it's nice to see theory play out successfully!
    Jamie Sanfilippo
    Programming Pastor
    The Meeting House

[email protected]

They key (hehe) is to use the VGA output option in VT[4] (I believe this was added in version 4.5 - make sure your software is current) so you are sending a VGA signal out to the projector.

You need a dual monitor video card to do this, and it means one output is your VT controls, and one the output to the projector.

In the controls to send VGA out, there is a luma keyer and you can set it up to key the iVGA stream over the Program Out. Set up your worship computer for pure black backgrounds and its graphics will key over the video. Have it display pure black only, and nothing will be keyed over the video - use full screen slides in power point with no pure black in them, or with the switcher running a black still store page on the main bus, and you will be displaying just your PPT on screen.

This has a couple of benefits.

First - it frees up your DSK, and you can use DVEs under the key, to your heart's content.

Second - it passes through the iVGA stream at the VGA (XVGA, or whatever you've got the video card and projector set up for) resolution, it doesn't down-res it to standard definition NTSC to pass it through the switcher.

Second - the video from Easy
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by sc73
    Hi, It's me again. I got a VT4 for my church and I got some question here about iVGA. Before that let me explain my setup and what my church wants to output. I got 1 PC with Powerpoint that controls all the worship songs and this PC is installed with iVGA and its link to my VT4. I need to key out the PPT background in order to overlay the songs on top of my video. To overlay the songs using iVGA, I got to use Keyer to keyout the background. If I use this method that I will not be able to switch camera using all the nice DVEs. I can only do a cut from my cam to another. Is there any other method to make my switching from 1 can to another using the DVEs while having my songs overlayed on top of them?

regards
    sha

Her'e an alternative way to do the above:

get yourself a scan coverter (VGA-> COMPOSITE) use this
    on your EASY WORSHIP COMPUTER, now take the output
    and put it into your SX8 as a composite input, now you can
    use transitons... cause your using it as a camera.

I've done this for various things in the past and it works great
    there's always more than one way to skin a cat (or slice some toast)

good luck!!

Another cleaner solution is to create words in GC desiner and save them as pngs, load them into a DDR and there you have it, click on the slide you want and its live, once you select you slide in the ddr you can also scroll slides with your up and down arrows, we did this at our church for years, but wanted to record with no graphics in the mix and didnt want to record main out so we bought a character generator instead but the CG desiner is cleaner than PPT when brought into VT...

Luke

Here's another approach. Bob has a 3rd channel PIP plug-in under development that you could use (There are a few threads about this). You wouldn't be directly keying the letters, but you could create a rectangular PIP the size of a lower third that would be overlaid--or any shape. It would be a solid background but very clean over IVGA because you are using the VT to crop the edges. I think you could even use a matte on the edges. You can still switch between cameras while your PIP is live. You can set up this PIP in advance, store it and recall it. Just another idea you may think about in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by ssdcinc
    Her'e an alternative way to do the above:

get yourself a scan coverter (VGA-> COMPOSITE) use this
    on your EASY WORSHIP COMPUTER, now take the output
    and put it into your SX8 as a composite input, now you can
    use transitons... cause your using it as a camera.

I've done this for various things in the past and it works great
    there's always more than one way to skin a cat (or slice some toast)

good luck!!
    Can you fill in some of the steps here? I'm not seeing how this could do what he was asking.

If you key it over a camera's view with the Keyer, the Key/Aux bus determines what is used to generate the key pattern (the Power Point image - PPT,) and the Preview bus determine what is being keyed with that pattern (in this case also the PPT.) In order to transition from one camera to the next, you need to select the camera you need to punch up that next camera on the preview bus. You can't do that in this setup - because as soon as you change the preview selection, you are keying the image from the next camera shot with the shape of the PPT text.

You could transition to and from the PPT this way, just the same as you could if it were coming in with iVGA, I'm just not seeing how you could key it over live video, and use transitions between video sources while maintaining the key.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.