Thread: "Make Polygon" command problems.

"Make Polygon" command problems.

Hi,

I'm somewhat of a newbie, so I don't know how difficult this problem may be. Anyhow, I have been building a character model and at one point I got dissatisfied with the upper proportions and decided to select the waist on up and delete it. I kept the lower part, because I was happy with it. However, now I got a big hole where the waist is and I would like to cap it so that I can smooth shift another torso, arms, head, etc. I tried selecting all the points in order and applying "make polygon", buy the edges are square and do not conform to the body. This is illustrated in the second snapshot. So, how can I cap this off, without having the squared edges?

Your expertise is appreciated,
    Dan

Cleared of all charges
    new polys don't come subpatched, so just select the new poly and subpatch it. you're second shot looks like low body polys got flip. if that was not intentional use flip to flip them back but leave the new poly on top the way it is.

danielh68, actually, it looks like, from your second pic, that you did Subd the new square. The problem is you made a square using four points across your entire waist. Your waist actually has 12 point counting around. You need to make a square with 12 points and set these points near your others. Then weld the points, or use merge points with the fixed option.

This is after I welded the points, because some didn't connect when I used merge.

marvin

Here are the images
    Attached Images Attached Images

And the second. Sorry about the 3 posts. Apparently I don't know how to attach more than one image at a time.

Thanks hcoat and marvin. The example you posted marvin is exactly what I want to do, but I'm still failing in some area. Perhaps it's in my method. This is what I do:

Step 1 - I select all the points around the top of the waist.

Step 2 - I press "+" to hide the unselected stuff.

Step 3 - I select each of the points, one at a time, counter-clockwise.

Step 4 - I choose "make polygon"

From this point, I have tried hcoast suggestion of converting it to "subpatch", however, I'm given the message that I must have only three to four vertices selected. So, I tried only select four vertices ( the ones that make the corners) and subpatched them. Although I got rounded corners, it failed to line up perfectly with the contours of the waist. Basically there were still little gaps or holes present.

Now, I have tried "wielding" the points before step three, however I got some funcky results. I actually got more points and the shape totally changed.

Again, I appreciate your expertise and any suggestions are welcome

-dan

you should also check out Faulkermano's "PerspicaciousQuads" L-Script. I've been using that instead of the regular "create polygon" command, and it's worked great. If you select 4 points on a subpatch, it'll create the polygons already subpatched. You can lasso, and it'll (most of the time) create correct polys from your selection.
    [i]-God is a DJ-[/i]

danielh68,

The reason it won't work for you is because you have to make a polygon out of four points. When you select just your four corners, it won't match up because of all of the other "in-between" points around your torso. Make a plane like I showed, with the number of spans to equal the points on the torso. Look at my first image post.

Just for simplicity sake, make this new plane subd before welding. Then go around and select the points 2 at a time, one from the plane, and its corresponding point on the torso and do a weld. Keep going around until all of the torso points have been welded to the corresponding plane points.

marvin

I got it! Thanks Marvin for all your valuable help.

Best Regards,
    Dan

cool

marvin

Or other ways

See my pic (below)

1) Create 12 points and make polygons.
    2) Use Knife.
    3) Select polygons from top by Lasso then move down.
    4) Tab.
    5) Or select points from top by Lasso then use merge points then tab.

That's all. Hope it helps

This is great stuff. Thanks, thekho for presenting an alternative method. I will remember it.

Again, thanks.
    Dan