Thread: Making LW a bit more usable with Mocap

Making LW a bit more usable with Mocap

Hi,

I wonder if LW would be more usable with Mocap if Nt would create some kind of standard rig that works with Mocap ?
    As I understand, that's the trick of Motionbuilder and Character Studio, both apps have a standard rig that easiyl works with Mocap...
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

yeah..would be great..till then i'll stick with 3dsmax for mo cap files as it's SO simple...

mind you...xsi is also a pain to implement mo caps...your not alone....lightwave, cinema an xsi all need some tender care to get a mo cap file up n running onto a mesh character...:agree:
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Once you create your standard rig in LW its not a big deal to reuse it again.

Sure thing, Larry, but what I am asking for is a biped-like-rig built-in that automatically "loads" bvh files and uses them correctly, AKA Character Studio.
    Sorry, the work around with the two rigs, expressions, followers is a bit too outdated for my taste.
    Especially for games stuff, mocap files are the way to go (since most games today require realistic human actions), and beeing able to load the LW_Rig
    and just load the mocaps to it, would be a huge time, work and finally money saver.
    Everything else is pretty old fashioned and tedious,in LW we can only load one mocap skeleton at a time, are not able to add mocaps to it afterwards (unless we save the first mocap as a MM clip, clear scene, load the next mocap, save it as a clip, clear scene...) and if You consider that CS has had this functionality now for about 8 years....
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

No, I agree. The problem depends on how each rig was setup to get mocap in the first place. If youre getting mocap thats been done cosistantly the same way then its pretty straightforward to some degree.
    You can load in mocap and use IKBoost to extract poses or motions off the whole rig or parts of rigs and reuse it. I have to play some more with that.

User.
    Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod
    No, I agree. The problem depends on how each rig was setup to get mocap in the first place. If youre getting mocap thats been done cosistantly the same way then its pretty straightforward to some degree.
    You can load in mocap and use IKBoost to extract poses or motions off the whole rig or parts of rigs and reuse it. I have to play some more with that.
    But thehn what else can be reusable. Skelegons, eyes, ears...What about having a standard well build mesh of a whole body, and readjust its points one by one every different human character, since in the end we are only different genetically for 0.01%

I wonder if LW would be more usable with Mocap if Nt would create some kind of standard rig that works with Mocap ?
    As I understand, that's the trick of Motionbuilder and Character Studio, both apps have a standard rig that easiyl works with Mocap...
    I agree. Or customisable professionally designed biped rigs as found in rival applications. True, there are commercial plugins that do this, and sample rigs in the content folder, but I'm surprised such a friendly XSI style rigging tool isn't built into Lightwave.

The skelegons options are great as you can use the same rig for multiple characters. But the learning curve building a rig from scratch and figuring out IK can seem daunting for beginners. I know, 'cos I've been there. Rigging should be much more immediate and user friendly to animators starting out. IK Booster, for example, is still a black art to many. It's important to know first principles but many animators are interested in spending more time with the art than the science.

The future looks great for Lightwave and present animation tools are good, and often unfairly criticised, but let's hope Newtek strive for a superior reputation in character animation. It would seriously threaten the competition.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel
    Sure thing, Larry, but what I am asking for is a biped-like-rig built-in that automatically "loads" bvh files and uses them correctly
    Hehe,
    I use MotionBuilder and I've found plenty of problems with the so called "standard" rigs in that too. Some mocap comes out looking like a deformed Quasimodo.

That said, should LW find a way of incorporating some MB type features I wouldn't complain. The FBX 'standard' is proving to be much less 'std' than they would have people believe. Heck, FBX6 isn't even directly compatible with FBX5.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by diedond
    But thehn what else can be reusable. Skelegons, eyes, ears...What about having a standard well build mesh of a whole body, and readjust its points one by one every different human character, since in the end we are only different genetically for 0.01%
    Right now skelegons are reuseable and bones are via rig files. Thats nice because you can save and reload whole rigs or parts of rigs and splice them into other rigs.