Thread: Best book(s) for a beginner?

Newbie Member

Question Best book(s) for a beginner?

Hi all.
    Now when my high school is about to end and all, I shall finally have time to start studying my expensive Lightwave 7.5 (and 3D-graphics in general) a little more "seriously". But the LW-manual doesn't seem to be the best way to go, so now I'm looking for a good book or two...

So, which books would be best for someone like me who has SOME basic knowledge of LW 7.5 but really needs help on each area of LW? You know, I need a book that doesn't specify on one or two things, but would cover all the aspects of LW.

I've heard that a book called "Inside Lightwave 7" by Dan Ablan would be a good one. Is there a better "general" LW-book than that?

I noticed that I could get many LW-books cheaply off Amazon so I think that I could get an another book too right away (to save some shipping costs). Which book would go well with that "Inside Lightwave 7" for example?

Thanks in advance!
    -Henrik

Well make sure you do read the manuel, there is a lot of good stuff in there. After that, I would recommend Inside LW 7. It has good tutorials on a range of things. I also have the LightWave Applied books, they are good, but a little outdated. Other than that I would recomment [digital] Lighting & rendering (and the other books in that series), they are not specifically for LW, and may be basic for some people, but I liked them alot.

I second getting Inside Lightwave 7 (or when it comes out) Inside lightwave 8. It has been really usful for me to learn it, before I got it I knew nothing at all, now I can model fairly well (I am still learning so give me a break). It is 1000+ pages is very good and has a wide range of stuff (a 100 page tutorial for making a female head, mostly pictures). And it comes with a CD with all the models/scenes/textures that are used in the book. So you can see the final thing. I highly recommend it

I really liked the suture tutorials:
    http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.htm

And this is the biggest database I have seen for LW tutorials:
    http://members.shaw.ca/LightWavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

If you got the cash Dan Ablan's 3dgarage stuff looks good:
    http://www.3dgarage.com/pages/1/index.htm

Newbie Member
    As wapangy said, it'd be a good idea to read through the manual. I wouldn't recommend reading it from start to finish though. I started doing that and quickly became confused, so I broke it down into sections (Modelling, Surfacing/Texturing, Lighting, Rendering). I found it easier to take in doing it that way, but not ideal. A good amount of experimentation also pays off.

<--still experimenting

In addition to the manual I have found Dan Ablan's books to be very good. There's also "The LightWave 6.5/7.0 Project Handbook" by Patrik Beck, which I think has now been updated..."The LightWave 7.5 Primer" if I remember correctly. These books aren't as in depth as Dan Ablan's, but they cover a large range of topics and contain lots of tutorials.

Hope this helps and good luck with learning LightWave :-)

Newbie Member
    Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I've been reading through the manual and I too have broken it down into sections

I'm getting the Dan Ablan's "Inside Lightwave 7" for now because I can get it for a very good price and all. I think that those ~1200 pages should keep me occupied for a while
    -Henrik

If price is a big deal, here's a cheap version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3518