Thread: how to do this in lwcad?

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar

how to do this in lwcad?

I have this test file, to see how far I can get with lwcad when imporeting autocad files.
    So I imported a plan, and the lines are all 2 point polygons, as expected. Then I convert them to curves with the poly-to-curve command, and then curve-to-poly again. This results in a messy polygon, so you do some poking around with self-intersect and join curves and merge curves and so on hoping it will get better, but i can never really get this to become three (or more) proper polygons.
    Does anyoen have any techniques for this, or is this just a little too complex?

anyway, object attached...

Quote Originally Posted by Exception
    I Does anyoen have any techniques for this, or is this just a little too complex?.
    Hi, haven't done a lot with it, certainly no arch cad stuff for real other than the tut's, but from what I remember it's best to use the native tool set to author all the lines, put your original in a background layer as a guid by all means, but build in single lines and use the offset tool to generate wall thickness after the event ( this way wall junctions aren't a problem). For things like wall breaks for doors and windows, again there's a really nifty tool to handle this and has to be seen to be believed, speaking of which all of the major tools are demoed as little flash animations in the HTML Manual that came with the package, you really aught to go check it out.

open for interpretation Gettarobox's Avatar
    have you tried tripling everything, then merging vertices? i haven't tried it but I think I would.
    just when you think, "vampires aren't so bad," you've got a pair of fangs buried in your neck.

One thing I have noticed is once in a while, when there is a problem with polys. I will convert to curve and will find that miniture curves are in the corners. Reducing curves seams to take care of the problem. I think multiple curves are trying to create the same poly.
    Hope that made sense.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

open for interpretation Gettarobox's Avatar
    oh Exception- I think I know exactly what the deal is.
    You have to create trifaces on your autocad file then export a 3ds.
    when you bring it into lightwave you will have to uncheck double sided in the surface editor and then make sure all the normals are properly aligned.
    this is exactly what I did like 10 minutes ago.

ps. you might want to look for 2 point and 1 point polys afterward. I noticed that they spring up now and then.

Thanks for all the suggestiosn guys, but its not working.

Gettarobox: thanks, but its not a polygon file, architecture drawings are always line files, so there are no polygons at all, just lines. Remaking them with LWCAD seems to defeat the purpose of a cad system, as its not exact and it doesn't save any time... its ackward because you can come so close...

tripling and merging only gives you a big mess...
    Has anyone tried using the file I gave?

Intersecting Walls

I finally got a chance to try this plan and the first thing I noticed was that where you have intersecting walls the intersections are incomplete. I first tried to do what you said you did and when I finally tried the curve to poly command I got your aforementioned mess. You need to exactly define what is a wall and what is a floor. So next I 'completed' the wall intersections with LWCAD's Line Tool before using the poly to curve command. This can be a bit tricky sometimes although most of the time the Line Tool does a great job of snapping to point or line-so I viewed the plan in both Perspective and Top views to facilitate this operation. What this does is turn all your wall polygons into quads. This can be a bit tedious even though it only took me less than an hour to complete. Now when using curve to polygon, most walls became distinct from the floor. Some walls disappeared and what I discovered was that some of these lines were NOT 2 point polys. No problem-I just deleted the 'rogue' lines and again using the Line Tool replaced these offending lines with new individual 2-point lines. After a little more fiddling back and forth between curve to poly and Ctrl-Z, I was able to get all the walls to show and differentiate them from the floor polys. All that was left was to do was to extrude up the wall outlines to make the walls. Now one problem that does occur when extruding up the wall polys is that because the aforementioned 'repair' of the 'rogue' lines can create a hodgepodge of new lines ( as mentioned by colkai, you should create these new lines in a specific order to avoid this problem and also join curves before using curve to poly command ) some of your extruded wall polys will be flipped. So then the last step if needed is to manually select those polygons which are facing the wrong way and just turn them around. Hope this helps Exception-the building complex looks cool and LWCAD contains a great set of tools albeit its 'eccentricitries'. I've also started using these tools on an organic model so their use is not limited to just buildings and such. Good Luck!
    Last edited by dgon64; 02-26-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks Dgon! It took me some time to find a gap in my schedule to try this, and yes, it works, but there is, as you mention still a lot of manual labor involved. That is really a shame, it should not be necessary.
    Thus, I found a solution outside lightwave.
    I exported the lightwave viewport to EPS, opened it in illustrator, used Live Paint to paint the inside of all the walls black, exported as version 3 eps, opened in lightwave, and voila, polygons... all that was needed was a drill operation to get it. Neat trick huh? Thanks for helping me!

I knew there had to be an easier way-good idea!