Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silo, Modo, Hexagon? Which one is best?

Silo, Modo, Hexagon? Which one is best?

I already use Zbrush and most of my regular modeling is done in Modeler

But I have a copy of Modo and downloaded Hexagon last night. I also was considering giving Silo a shot.

Does anyone here use any/all these products so you can recommend one to me more then the others?

My Goal is to have a nice all in one modeling package.

I would like to create great subD meshes for both organic and mechanical objects and if I want greater fine details I'll take my organic stuff into Z-Brush for final touches.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.
    -----------------
    KC

I haven't tried Silo or Hexagon yet, but I really like modo. The learning curve was not a curve so much as it was a horizontal line. One of these days, I'm going to give both Silo and Hexagon a try, but I've been too lazy so far.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Even though I have a certain level of disrespect for the company; I have to say that business is business and Modo kicks some modelling ***!! Silo and Hexagon are both great modeling apps as well, but I really prefer Modo myself.

Hexagon, while very powerful, is a little gimmicky in my opinion. Not gimmicky in terms of functionality or power, rather in it's interface and workflow methodology.

Silo is fantastic and right on par with Modo in terms of power, capability, and workflow. The main reason that I'd recommend Modo over Silo is the 'vertical' progression of Modo as it slowly becomes a full featured app (including painting, texturing, fast high-quality rendering, etc...). I do dislike the interface in Silo, but like Modo, it too can be customized to your own liking.

hope that helps.
    harley

"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."

well not a modo fan here - numeric input into the tools was hmmm jsut not as smooth as it is in lightwave - the only thing i really want from modo in lightwave is the viewport performance - but hoping lw 9.x cycle will fix that

This thread is itchin to get deleted. Newtek has rules about the promotion of competitors products on their forums.

Why wouldn't you just continue to use modeler if you already own it? I think with Lightwave 9 supporting normal maps for Zbrush 2, what else do you need? I think there will be a lot of great additions to modeler over the 9.x cycle as well too, especially considering a few of the developers they've hired who excel in that area.

The above mentioned package seems very nice but like harlan, I have to say I don't have much respect for the developers...

I apologize to Newtek for any misunderstanding.

Didn't mean any harm. I was only trying to figure out if there is a better program for workflow. If I go to Silo, hexagon or Modo forums you knwo the kind of Bias I would get there right?

So, I figure I would see what people thought.

I do continue to use Modeler but there are some things in Modo and Hexagon that are very streamlined for mesh and subD editing. Yet I haven't used them very much.

Maybe I'll go ask Subd Model forums so I wont spark any trouble.

....feel free to delete .
    -----------------
    KC

Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    If I go to Silo, hexagon or Modo forums you knwo the kind of Bias I would get there right?
    Many on those fora would scoff that you thought you could get unbiased opinions here, but, as you see, you can. M*d* is the only one of those I've tried and it's OK, but I would rather stick with LightWave. It's interface is all new-fangled and all, but I prefer the spartan feel of LightWave.

Quote Originally Posted by KillMe
    - the only thing i really want from modo in lightwave is the viewport performance -

Only one? I want at least two. Ha! Ha! I do hope that NT takes a serious look at "dodo" and see that it has some decent things going for it. I did download the demo and liked very much some of it's functions and features. I'd like NT to put in the option of having some kind handles or manipulators to be able to model in the perspective view with more precision. Also I liked how you could change the action centers in "dodo. Lightwave has "Translate Plus" that will scale or move an object on various axis and normals, but it's really a kludge and this functionality should be built into most of the common tools. Right now that's my biggest gripe about LW, you can do almost anything you want, but the tools are scattered all over the place and not streamlined. With that being said I have all the faith that the new dev team is aware of these issues and many others and I understand it's going to take time to clean things up. I look forward to the ride, because when it's all said and done LW is just plain fun to use. I think LW needs to evolve, not change. I like it now, and see no reason to drop it. I just want what everyone wants, a better LW.

Cheers Snos

satellites & astronauts ercaxus's Avatar

But I have a copy of Modo and downloaded Hexagon last night. I also was considering giving Silo a shot.

Does anyone here use any/all these products so you can recommend one to me more then the others?

I would like to create great subD meshes for both organic and mechanical objects and if I want greater fine details I'll take my organic stuff into Z-Brush for final touches.

I think you should go with zbrush, because it's simply a different world and it can do some real super cool stuff. It's not (mainly) a polygon modeler.
    For a poly modeler I would stick with Lightwave. They all can do make/cut/divide poly etc. it's all ui and workflow. New dev-team is working on layout apparently, but wait till they get their hands on modeler's UI . I believe it's going to be "the" best modeling package out there.
    Last edited by ercaxus; 02-17-2006 at 10:34 PM.

i basically do the same exact thing, and from my experience i feel that zbrush and lightwave work very well together. i only have other experience in max, so i am not too informed of the other packages, but since i've gotten used to the going to and from zbrush with lightwave i have found no reason to change my ways

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    The above mentioned package seems very nice but like harlan, I have to say I don't have much respect for the developers...
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    M*d* is the only one of those I've tried and it's OK, but I would rather stick with LightWave. It's interface is all new-fangled and all, but I prefer the spartan feel of LightWave.
    Why am I not surprised to hear such statements from you? This is really getting pointless.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

Time to delete all this nonesense before it kicks off for me..
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

buying modo was my biggest cash throw 2 years ago.... never used it for anythin serious due very bad stability...
    new web page up www.null.hr

They are 3 good modelling packages.

Modo has a strong Lw inheritance so that if you're used working in Lw is a good choice . 101 was unstable, due to the reported problems with Nvidia drivers. but 102 was stable.

Silo is good as well. its not so elegant as Modo, but has high customizability to suit your workflow better. it is rewritten in this period , to support even better features like sculpting tools ala Zbrush.(but i'd not compare to ZB power) another good thing is it's cheap.

Hexagon is a sort of Modoish app, but introduced things like real history, for example, and other great tools as well. well thought as a modeler, but like harlan says, a bit gimmicky in its workflow and behaviour. not so "fluid"

I think Modo is superior because it is more elegant, more fluid workflow and behaviour, and brought in painting and rendering too.It will become a complete package.
    ts not that you find ALL of state of the art modelling features in Modo, but it seems to be very well thought as a base structure, so it could develop very well in time.

Silo and Hexagon will remain pure modelling apps.
    So, if you're a pure modeler you will have no prob using them.

Zbrush is a different beast. it brought the artistic approach to 3d through clay like modelling, and 2.5D painting. innovative app, very far from traditional approach, yet efficient and well coded too. Not everyone likes its workflow and UI, but it works well. It is the perfect companion for all traditional 3d apps.
    Last edited by Nemoid; 02-18-2006 at 03:39 AM.
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Are we there yet ?
    As you already have access to two of the programs and there is a free trial of the third, you are really in the best position to see what suits you.

Of the three I really prefer Modo. That said I fully aknowledge that the other two are very good apps in their own right, it's just that when I demo'd them I prefered the workflow of Modo. Something that is individual to each person.
    I also think Modo has more legs than the other two, meaning that it was concived to be expanded into areas other than just modelling.

Yes there were some initial stability issues with Modo 101, but patches 102 and 103 have made it a very stable app. I use it most days, and can't remember the last time I had a problem (possibly not since 102 was released).

For the price range you are looking at I might also suggest XSI-Foundation. There is no diference in it's modelling tools compared to XSI-Advanced (and very little difference in the animation rendering tools), and whilst it isn't quite as good at organic modelling as Modo (possibly comparable to Silo tho), I would rate it as a better hard body modeller.

It really is a buyers market for 3D programs at the momment, so it pays to shop around.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast