Thread: Video source monitoring - non-VT Vision

Newbie Member

Video source monitoring - non-VT Vision

Hi All - Similar to the other thread concerning multiple-monitor support in VT Vision except I'm looking for a hardware suggestion to help me do the same externally.

I have a quad split monitor that supports composite in and pass through. I intend to route higher quality component video into the sx-84. To do that I'm looking for a rack mount solution that has component video in, component video pass through (to SX-84) and an additional composite video out for monitoring. I need four channels of monitoring total. So that's a 4x8 type solution?

I've search high and low and been able to find any kind of distribution box that will do this. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you all,

S

What are your component sources?

CCU's (from cameras)? Decks? Something else?

- Mikko

Newbie Member
    Hi. My component video is a down converted HD signal from a HFBKSD1 card installed inside a Sony BRU-H700. It's a 9-pin D-sub connector out of the card to 3-BNC component.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Hey S,

With the nice equipment it sounds like you have it may not be a problem, but be careful with looping thru component signals. Signal degradation and all.

Are you looping thru the components because there is no composite out and it is the only way to monitor the camera externally as well as feed the SX-8?

Jim

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C
    Hey S,

Are you looping thru the components because there is no composite out and it is the only way to monitor the camera externally as well as feed the SX-8?

Jim
    Hi Jim - It's a pleasure to have your input. As a long time lurker I owe you big thanks for all the info I've gleaned from the time you've spent helping others.

I of course do not want to lose any signal quality, but don't see another option then to go loop through. You are correct, I am looping component video because there is no composite out of the SX-84 to allow me to monitor my video feeds for live switching.

Where is the switch on the Bob that let's me change between program out and preview on composite? I'm plenty thankful for all that it does thus far so just need a hardware solution. Thanks.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Jeez, thanks, but honestly I wouldn't know diddly if it wasn't for ALL of the VT forum communities and ALL of those who contribute. Well, that and countless hours connecting the chair and the track ball.
    Sometimes I can come up with the everyday man's solutions, but guys like Mikko (above) and others here have me whooped when it comes to the pure technical specs of broadcast machinery.

Anywho....
    Do you have a composite out of the cameras that is live as well as the component? Send those to the quad split and send the component to the BOB?

Cam 1 (comp out)--------->quad
    (rgb out)----------->BOB

I'm not sure if I have ever seen a quad split with component inputs.

Jim

Wow, thank's Jim! I still consider myself a newbie around here (and one that likes to complain a lot at that). I'm glad I'm of help too.

Umm..
    I'm not familer with that card (or camera for that matter) however according to sony's site, you should have regular composite available from the card alongside component. - To use exactly as Jim described.

Info here:http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...20057&id=80401
    Under "Highlights" it reads: "Outputs 1 down converted SDI signal (BNC), 1 analog composite (BNC) signal, and 1 analog video (YPbPr or RGB from 15pin monitor output)"

Check the manual and those dip switches and see what you can get.
    Ironically enough, I belive those component signals you are using are designed as a monitoring feed.
    Another option woudl be to use an SDI enabled monitor or an SDI -> Composite converter.

- Mikko
    Last edited by mikkowilson; 02-13-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Wow Slapdash,
    That's some amazing hardware. We're using the Sony BRC300s and were looking to upgrade to the 700HDs, but of course we have no switching/recording capability with the current VT setup. We use the Sony remote control joystick setup to fly the four BRC300s and we take the composite out of the CCUs to a quad splitter, into a Marshall 17 inch monitor. The visual quality sucks, but just to get an idea for shot composition, it's fine. I'd be real interested to know how you like the quality of the 700s in standard definition.
    Dan Hong
    http://www.gnoasis.com

Newbie Member
    Mikko/Jim - Thanks for the suggestions. Indeed, the composite and d-sub outs can both be active at the same time. Problem solved.

Dan - Also a pleasure to see you here. I've contacted you directly before and you've been most helpful in answering several questions for me. Again, thank you. Your California Production Insanity post was awesome. My setup is largely a clone of yours.

I was about to go with the BRC300s when I ran into the new 700s at the GVExpo show in DC. The timing was right and I got a good deal on three of them to future proof myself for HD. Having just installed the HFBK-SD1 cards I'm extremely pleased with the SD quality video they are putting out. Not as impressed as the HD of course which I sure wish the VT was supporting now since it basically cost me the price of another VT just to downgrade to SD. If you have any questions regarding the setup let me know and I'll be happy to answer as best I can. Later,

Steve