View Poll Results: how do you use screamernet?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • i use it for every project, breeze to setup and maintain.

3 10.00%
  • i use it for demanding renders, not the easiest setup/maintenance.

10 33.33%
  • I have tried it a few times, it works if you do what you're told but its impractical/unwieldy for my use.

3 10.00%
  • I have had major trouble with screamernet, I want to use it, but I have found setup/maintenance to be a barrier.

14 46.67%

Thread: screamernet mode 2 usage poll

self flagellating LW monk

screamernet mode 2 usage poll

hi kids,
    this is an unscientific poll, to determine whether or not screamernet is being used as intended. please vote.

Unhappy

I have to say for ages I just couldn't figure it out, the docs didn't make enough sense so I gave up.

I recently came back to it with a new tutorial and _finally_ got it to work, now I wonder why it took me so long!!!

Once you crack it, you wonder what all the fuss was about!!!

However the fact that some plugs don't work with it and procedural textures can render differently with different processors makes it in dire need of an update.

And please, this isn't the dark ages, or Windows 3.1, give it a PROPER UI!!!!! (Although I can see why having a command line side to it can be useful for scripting it etc.)

Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

i cant beleive 46 people have viewed this, but only 10 have voted...

guess i should have put an "i dont care" option

anyway... bump

I've tried to use it but like many others, I had a devil of a time getting it to work! I'll try again sometime, like maybe after LW 8 is released!

I used SN with 5.6d, 6.5, and a couple of times with 7.5 in OS X.

FWIW, you can't help the processor-gradient issues unless your entire render farm uses the same processors (all G3 -or- all G4 -or- all PIII -or- all PIV) and no combinations. This can't be fixed by Newtek. It's an issue with how the processor computes the gradient, but I thought it was much improved from 5.6d.

In addition, SN has become more difficult since 5.6d. The command line structures changed, and the changes weren't documented.
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

Newbie Member
    I'm not sure what to vote.

I bought the Screamernet Controller from Catalyst and control an OSX and XP machine with it. Very easy to setup and maintain. I render at 3 times the speed I used to.

Highly recommended.

Does that count as Mode2 screamernet?
    --
    Michael Luscombe
    http://www.maumedia.com

How about a vote for "For the longest time I couldn't get it to work on OSX but now I can and so it will NOW play a major role in render intensive work"?
    I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence

Pixel realestate agent
    Saddly I voted for the last option... Matt is also right we need a spanky UI.

Pixel realestate agent
    Originally posted by m_luscombe
    I'm not sure what to vote.

I bought the Screamernet Controller from Catalyst and control an OSX and XP machine with it. Very easy to setup and maintain. I render at 3 times the speed I used to.

Highly recommended.

Does that count as Mode2 screamernet?
    Only one node for free, this sux, they should make it upto 2 nodes free, so u can see how it works with a DP g4 and one g3.

Originally posted by Zarathustra
    How about a vote for "For the longest time I couldn't get it to work on OSX but now I can and so it will NOW play a major role in render intensive work"?
    zar,
    hrmmm.... I'd vote number 1 or 2 if i were you. Of course, in hindsight there should be an option like: Screamernet is difficult to setup/understand/maintain but its the only option for me, so i use it most/all of the time.

I think since you have stated your opinion in the thread, most people checking the poll, would take that into account.

interesting that (as of right now) 40% of mac users dont use screamernet... and they Want to. well, its still early, maybe that will change.

Fine. NOW I'm a "1", and pre-OSX I was a "1" but the 9 months or so in between I was a solid "4".

I posted my stumbles and eventual success at beating down SN and making it work, if anyone's interested:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=3

The trick for me was the specific pathway for job and ack, rather then just tacking them on at the end like you used to be able to do (and many tuts STILL say is fine).
    I would have danced by moonlight and drank goat's blood, at one point, if I thought that would finally make it work. Luckily, I found an easier way.
    One thing I tried but I can't do is have SN render solo, without Layout open. Oh well.
    I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence

Pixel realestate agent
    Needs to be more mac friendly.. We need choices..

man, voter apathy is at an all time high isnt it?

Want to be able to render to PC's from my Mac without paying for a third party plugin/app.

Don't understand why SN's not a whole lot easier to use.

You shouldn't even have to think about it, let alone have to bend over backwards for the damn thing.

Admittedly I do have it running successfully on the single Mac so I can render in the background, but of course that takes up processing power on my wee mac and I'm not sure that it's worth it.

bump:

celebrate your ability to choose... and then ****** about it in the thread