Thread: Calculate particles isn't working

Newbie Member

Calculate particles isn't working

I have an object that is emitting particles from its vertices, to make trails of particles as it zooms around.

The particle birthrate has a curve on it to deal with the varying speed of the object so that as it speeds up more particles are emitted and vice versa. But when I hit calculate, so that I can render with my farm, it seems to calculate only 1 particle per frame. And rendering without a saved pfx file doesn't work at all. Even when I take the curve off I can't get it to calculate properly.

Anyone had this happen before? Is it a bug or just me?

8.5 on a winXP SP2 Athlon 3400

Newbie Member

Angry

errrr I'm doing the workaround which is to put a null with an emitter on each point of my object. Tedious? You betcha. Luckily it was only a simple object.

BTW just another reason why I hate LWs UI. Makes repetitious stuff like this extra hard. Why can't it behave like a normal program? Like: I type a number into a field, I go do something else (without hitting enter), it reverts without telling me, or me telling it to. Why do the people at Newtek think this is a good idea? Don't they use other software? No other programme in the universe does this.

Newbie Member
    Whaaat! LW crashes every time I try to add more than 10 emitters to a scene. NOW what do I do? I'm never getting home tonight.

Piece of junk, I rue the day I bought it.

Would you like to send me your scene? I can have a look if you like...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Newbie Member
    Ok, taking deep breaths, going to happy place..

I worked out what the problem was with the crash. I was dialling the particle limit value up as far as it could go on each of the emitters, I do that so I don't unexpectedly run out of particles near the end of the scene. I think the most you can have is 1,000,000.

The scene was never going anywhere near that, each emitter had like 3500 particles at most, but there is obviously a maximum _possible_ particles that you can have in the scene, which is ten times the maximum for each emitter. So ten emitters all with the maximimum value in the particle limit tab is as many as you get.

Add one more emitter and it sets the particle limit to zero. Try to change this and you've gone over the limit. Of course instead of popping up a pesky dialogue box or something Lightwave politely informs you when you have gone over this limit by crashing.

Here's the scene with the object that emts particles, that don't obey their generate rate envelope. I've managed to gt the workaround to work at least. Thanks..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pureandapplied; 01-19-2006 at 03:38 AM.