Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All images should be in a 72dpi JPG format

All images should be in a 72dpi JPG format

I know a lot of people will hate this post, but it scares me when I see this on a site that specializes in graphics software (this is on the NT page for gallery submissions). I don't mean to start any kind of heated discussion, it's just a pet peave of mine when I see it - that somehow a 640 x 480 image at 72dpi is going to be smaller than a 640 x 480 image at 300dpi. Doesn't matter on a computer screen and doesn't change the size of the file or viewing it. It only matters in the world of print. This was a big discussion in graphic design school. Now I feel better

I see this quite a bit mostly from new users. You are right every once in awhile someplace will ask for submissions with the screen rez and the dpi. I don't know if they just were not paying attention or really did not know that dpi specs are not needed unless the size for print is mentioned with out the screen rez.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

I guess it bugs me most because while in school I'd have teachers say this - teachers teaching graphic design! - and I'd tell them that it wasn't true and there'd be a large argument and even when they were shown that it was true they doubted what they saw. It's funny how ingrained some things can be

Yeah, I get the same thing. I just ignore it.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

If it is for the web or video, I use 72dpi or sometimes 96dpi by what ever height and width in pixels that I need. If it is for print. Than you use twice the dpi as what the halftone frequency is. In other words, if your printer is printing at 150dpi for the halftone frequency, than you use 300dpi for the pixels. If your printer is using 120dpi for his halftone frequency, than you output your stuff for 240dpi pixels.

With the exception of webstuf. I always over-sample, because it is ok to have too many pixels-dpi, rather than not enough.

And the JPG thing. That has to do mostly with the web, rather than print or video.
    Last edited by lesterfoster; 01-17-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterfoster
    If it is for the web or video, I use 72dpi or sometimes 96dpi by what ever height and width in pixels that I need. If it is for print. Than you use twice the dpi as what the halftone frequency is. In other words, if your printer is printing at 150dpi for the halftone frequency, than you use 300dpi for the pixels. If your printer is using 120dpi for his halftone frequency, than you output your stuff for 240dpi pixels.

With the exception of webstuf. I always over-sample, because it is ok to have too many pixels-dpi, rather than not enough.

And the JPG thing. That has to do mostly with the web, rather than print or video.
    I was just talking about the dpi (not concerned with format), and dpi makes no difference on a computer screen, that's all.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I came here to set you straight! LOL!

Excellent point!

When someone tries to argue with you, you should make them tell you how many inches wide a 640x480 image is.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I came here to set you straight! LOL!
    Haha, me too!
    Are my spline guides showing?

Quote Originally Posted by mattclary

Excellent point!

When someone tries to argue with you, you should make them tell you how many inches wide a 640x480 image is.
    oh - I had a teacher who tried to explain to my class that an image 640x480, 72dpi on a 15" screen would measure physically the same (as if you put a physical ruler up to the screen) as if it was on a 60" screen. That would be a neat trick.

Registered User Puguglybonehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spec24
    oh - I had a teacher who tried to explain to my class that an image 640x480, 72dpi on a 15" screen would measure physically the same (as if you put a physical ruler up to the screen) as if it was on a 60" screen. That would be a neat trick.
    Well, assuming the teacher was referring to a 15" monitor at XGA resolution then the resolution of the 60" screen would be a mere 4,096 x 3,072 pixels. (or 5,120 x 4,096 at SXGA)

Hey! I want one of those!
    Last edited by Puguglybonehead; 01-18-2006 at 09:35 PM.

BTW its PPI not DPI :-)

Just trying to be a smart-***

Florian
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

eheh

I'm with you...I used to work on a tv producer and the postprod guy once at my department asked us to always give him our stuff with 72dpi...man, what happened after was ugly...he had 3 or 4 guys almost beating him for that. "It's for tv man!! You're going to get it at 720x576, períod! Forget the DPIs"...I don't have to say that now I don't even remember is name...he became "The DPI" guy ...LOL

I was working on a PDF trying to explain with simple illustrations the difference between screen and print, never finished it though, might have to resurrect it!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I was working on a PDF trying to explain with simple illustrations the difference between screen and print, never finished it though, might have to resurrect it!
    Please finish it! I can think of a couple forums that could make it "sticky."

We understand that the images will display in the same screen space. The 640x480 requirement had to do with working within the website's design.

My understanding is that the 72dpi policy was originally implemented to limit file size, and the attending server space and bandwidth requirements of hosting 1200+ images as a part of the LightWave gallery, not counting the video gallery's requirements. If anyone wants to provide a link to a larger and/or higher resolution image on their own site with their gallery submission, they are welcome to. We can include it in the caption section below the image where we allow artists to post links to their site and email address.

I'm not an expert in this area, so I will ask. Are you saying that a JPG at 72dpi will have the exact same file size as a JPG at 300dpi?
    Kurtis Harris - NewTek 3D Marketing

All statements to the effect of this parrot is still a going concern are from now on inoperative. This is an ex-parrot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast