Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D Artist Needed!

Newbie Member

Exclamation LightWave 3D Artist Needed!

My name is Brian and work for a company in Pearl River who is looking for a freelance LightWave 3D artist to help us on 3 projects. We would require the individual to come to our offices occasionally so they should live in the New York or New Jersey tri-state area. One of the 3 projects needs to be completed ASAP. This project entails creating a virtual set for our green screen studio. The set needs to be representative of "The Larry King Show".

This is a paid position. We are paying in the $20 - $30 per hour range depending on experience.

Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.
    Last edited by ACORD; 01-05-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Hey Brian,
    Thanks for the interview!
    But after 2 hours driving down to your offices one hour of time at your offices and two hours driving back; not to mention the 5 hours of getting my relevant renderings and printouts together, it would have been nice to get one 30 second phone call to say you had found someone else to do the job you f***head!
    TAPSNAP

I know this is none of my business and I can certainly see how not getting a call-back would be frustrating, but I don't see the sense in burning bridges.

Studios often put potential freelancers/employees on file until the right project comes along.

I agree. I've had many interviews and job applications over the years, and have gotten very few callbacks or even letters of rejection for that matter. Calling someone names is a sure way of NOT getting hired ever. Word does get around.

Yikes!

Although frustrating Daniel, you just have to deal with it and maybe use the experience to motivate your future work.

I have no qualms about burning that bridge. And quite frankly, I hope my post embarrasses Brian.
    TAPSNAP

Companies are under no obligation to notify people applying for staff or independent contractor positions that they weren't chosen or to explain why.
    Some companies are nice enough, even if it's a form correspondence, to notify aplicants of when their application materials are received or if the position(s) have been filled but they are exceptions. Do not expect such treatment.

The burdens are on us seeking work rather than the companies handing it out. Further beating of this drum on your part will have poor consequences for you, not Brian. You'll get known as volatile, argumentative and confrontational and the next company, especially if they're a respectable company, won't want anything to do with you.

It's hard enough to climb to the top without digging a hole to start out of.

After my interview and after putting together an estimate that he requested, and after watching the Larry King show that he requested I do, I called him three times and left messages. I blackberried him twice and I emailed him once, asking him whether this job was to go ahead because I wanted to arrange my schedule accordingly. Just a single response to one of those communications would have been great! Fine! OK, I understand! - Thanks for your time! I hope we can work together in the future! etc. etc.
    But he thought that it was OK just to ignore all six of those follow-ups. If you like being treated like that, that's just fine, but most people reading this, I'm sure, would find that just plain rude. And I think most prospective employers would think so too.
    Last edited by tapsnap; 01-31-2006 at 03:31 PM.
    TAPSNAP

I can see you're upset, and it's understandable... but you really should listen to the advice being given to you. These guys know what they'e talking about.

You should have called once, emailed once, and then taken the hint.

I've applied to almost 40 companies in the last 6 months, and I've gotten about 4 (yes, four!) replies... so you simply need to get used it. For example... One time, I even paid 50 bucks to overnight FedEx my reel to a company because they wanted another copy, and I never heard back from them, even after I emailed them. That's just the way it is, man.

Sure, it can be frustrating, but we've all been there, so no point in calling him vulgarities.

Anyway, I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm just trying to offer some helpful advice
    Digital Delight for Analog People
    www.DereksDigital.com

I think everyone sympathizes with your frustration, but that doesn't condone your actions. Just write it off as experience learned.

Lessons learned...
    1) Don't commit time to someone without money upfront.
    2) Don't expect call backs after bidding for projects or applying for jobs.
    3) Don't ever do ANYTHING without a signed contract.

You know considering how many times you say you tried to reach him, maybe you sunk your own ship. One or two messages with the final one subtley letting him know that you have other opportunities so you need to know if you'll be needed or not or else you won't be able to guarantee your availability would have sufficed. Your # of messages would scare most folks from using you. Sorry, dude.

For the record, I've been on both sides of this thing. I've reviewed and contracted others as well as applied for jobs and bid on contract work. I try and let people know if they're going to be used and I've had plenty of companies fail to notify me when they've decided not to use me. From Brian's POV, time is money. If you have dozens of people applying, you don't have time to send little notes or calls off to all those unchosen. That's just teh way it is. It's not personal, it's business

Condone your actions?!!!! Condone your actions?!!! You sound like I bombed the building!!! - I called him a F***head. Who here would not agree with that label, based on his lack of action? Why are you taking this guy's side? Is this the way you want to be treated the next time you spend 10 hours preparing for an interview and another 3 hours on follow-up. Time is money, as you say, and a 30 second phone call is not too much to ask, is it?
    Last edited by tapsnap; 01-31-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    TAPSNAP

OK, well good luck in your job search and future endeavors.

Well thank you unwanted, and good luck yourself.
    TAPSNAP

I thought I would get in on the conversation and say that I had taken air flights to job interviews say from NY to CA and well it would be nice to get a promed thankyou It does take time. You would of gotten something down the road. Also you should be thankful you got an interview not everone get these chances.

Life to short to worry about this things

P.s. I,m sure he's not even reading this post anymore. it's old and you just keep helping him stay alive.
    Last edited by shaol; 02-01-2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Mac man Dual 2.0 G5
    3 gig ram
    9800 pro
    Lightwave 8.3

Captain! I'm given her full power! I don't know how much more she can handel! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tapsnap
    Hey Brian,
    Thanks for the interview!
    But after 2 hours driving down to your offices one hour of time at your offices and two hours driving back; not to mention the 5 hours of getting my relevant renderings and printouts together, it would have been nice to get one 30 second phone call to say you had found someone else to do the job you f***head!
    I cannot see why he did not hire you with such a fantastic, easy going attitude!
    R A N D Y S H A R P
    Modeling Supervisor: Tron Legacy
    D I G I T A L D O M A I N

"In those days girls were only interested in...well, not us"

-Angus Young

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast