Thread: LW and their Anisotropic Shader

LW and their Anisotropic Shader

First of all let me say that I LOVE my LW. So this is by no means just a hack on NT or LW. It just happens to be a pet peeve of mine because I like to model mechanical parts and it keeps coming up.

When is NT going to get their anisotropic shader right?

I was all excited when I ordered my latest upgrade (I haven't upgraded from 7.5c, so it's been a while) when I saw in their list of new features "improved anisotropic shader". 'cmon, they just added layers to it from what I saw on my quick run through it. It STILL doesn't have any way to orient the effect to the model it is applied to. I mean 'cmon! Anisotropy is caused by micro stucture on the surface of the OBJECT, caused from the machining process. Why on earth would you orient the effect to the LIGHTSCOURCE?

Here. I'll offer the information on how they could fix the shader. Here's the math. It took me all of two seconds to find with a google search.

Anisotropic Info

OK, I've vented and feel much better now.
    Malorie
    Last edited by Malorie; 12-30-2005 at 05:40 AM.
    Life's a journey, not a destination.

Have you tried TBs Shadertree? I'n not sure it will fix anything...
    (What would be nice would be the ability to use a UV map to orient the structure of the anisotropic effect, not sure if there's a plugin that does this though)
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

I guess I'll have to write my own. Worley had one, but not sure if they still do. But I'm not paying $200-$400 for an Anisotropic shader.

I'll just get to work on it today. I have a few ideas on how to impliment it in LScript.

Later,
    Malorie

The paper at the link is for simulating anistropic shading in real time in OpenGL and the method described fails for situations with more than two light sources. Not sure it applies to the changes that would be needed to address the concerns you have with the LightWave's anistropic shader, but I've passed your comments and the link along to the team.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

As I read further into that paper, I saw that also. I'm glad there is an ear out there and I appologise if I came off a bit hard nosed about it. The anisotropic sader in LW is one of those things that just keeps biting me in the butt. And when it does I go off on a tangent.

BTW, since my rant, I've been working on a couple of ways to create an anisotropic shader in LScript. One of my hold-ups is that I need to have LW evaluate a pixel more than once. Is there a way? Or is there someone who knows a way? Or would I need to have my script do all that math?

Could I somehow have my script check to see which pass the render is on and have the user required to use anti-aliasing. Just kind of thinking out loud here.

I really do love my LightWave.
    Malorie