Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LightWave v9 Status Update from Jay Roth - 12/21/05

LightWave v9 Status Update from Jay Roth - 12/21/05

Dear LightWavers,

We are now at the end of the year 2005, and it has been a great year for LightWave. The new team is well entrenched and committed to making LightWave the innovative 3D package you expect. With each release this year, LightWave has gotten better and better. We know that you demand a rock-solid, outstanding LightWave, and so do we, as we have demonstrated with LightWave v8.3 and v8.5. In addition to adding some cool new features, we have done a great job at stomping many of the older bugs that haven’t been addressed in years.

In the spirit of demanding that LightWave be ready for prime time, I have to inform you that LightWave v9 is not up to our standards for delivery, just yet. The LightWave beta team has been fantastic, championing the cause for a better product and workflow, and helping us to resolve many long term issues. We still have a couple of key elements that need to be addressed before we can release and many bugs yet to kill. NewTek wants this version of LightWave to be the best ever, and we need more time.

So, what does this all mean? It means that LightWave v9 will be shipping in early 2006. Does that mean that you will have to wait a long time before you can use LightWave v9? In a word… no.

We are putting the finishing touches on a public beta program for LightWave v9 that will be open to any customer eligible for an upgrade to 9. As we are effectively in the holiday season now, we will not be starting this program until after the first of the year. Eligible participants will be receiving information about participating in the plan soon. LightWave v9 has some big changes under the hood and we want to make sure that we get everything right before we release the final product. We believe that the public beta program will not only be a great way to ensure that we ship a quality product, but will also allow us to give you an early look at the great new features and improvements in LightWave v9.

Thank you for your commitment to LightWave and your continued support. Please rest assured that the commitment and support runs both ways… we are continuing to innovate, develop and support LightWave to bring you the best possible 3D program on the market.

Best wishes for a great holiday and a Happy New Year from all of us on the LightWave team.

Jay Roth
    President
    NewTek 3D Division

==
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Thanks for the information, I applaud both the decision not to release until LW9 is a solid product and also the public beta programme which will give us the oportunity to play with all the new toys, excellent news! - Baz

Oh well, merry Christmas everyone!
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Particle in 3-D space.
    Oh that`s nice with a beta
    HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006 TO EVERYONE
    Vista Home Premium Service pack 1
    Albatron GF8800GTS 640MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4GHz
    Samsung HD321KJ 300GB
    Asus P5B i965P
    2 1024MB DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the beta!
    Cheers,
    Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805

http://www.malcolmkenworthy.co.uk/

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Aye, I think most of us expected the release to be pushed back, of course, we now will endure the multitude of threads complaining about slipped release dates etc..etc..etc..

For all folks were not impressed with the LW6 release, I for one was glad of the public beta phase of it and I think this is a good step for those wanting to help Newtek make the next LW release a more robust one for "the general public".

Happy holidays to y'all and we await the news in the new year.
    Too old to die young.

Actualy colkai I think you're wrong there- I can't recall a single post in fact where people were complaining 9 was going to be late- quite impressive really.

A number of people, including my self, complained about lack of communication, but thats been dealt with. The only thing i would take issue with now is the abscence of a confirmed feature list, but I guess that may not yet be set in stone, so again I'm happy to wait.

Public beta is good.

Happy Christmas to all

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderpup
    Actualy colkai I think you're wrong there- I can't recall a single post in fact where people were complaining 9 was going to be late
    Heh, trust me, they're out there

The only thing i would take issue with now is the abscence of a confirmed feature list, but I guess that may not yet be set in stone, so again I'm happy to wait.
    Yes, I am somewhat of an optimist and like to believe what we have seen is a preliminary list and is not an exhaustive list of what we may yet get in LW9.
    Too old to die young.

Blog Entries
    ok doky

Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptor®300gig

Quote Originally Posted by colkai
    Yes, I am somewhat of an optimist and like to believe what we have seen is a preliminary list and is not an exhaustive list of what we may yet get in LW9.
    At the LA LW User's Group meeting last month, Jay Roth said the preliminary feature list is a 9.0 list. Still more will come out for LightWave during the 9.x cycle, just as more stuff came out for LW during the 8.x cycle.
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Newbie Member
    Thank you Chuck. I am glad to see NewTek is doing things the right way by keeping the customers informed. I wish more companies would do this.

I am relatively new to lightwave and the users here are very talented and helpful.

Wohoo

Merry Christmas people and Happy New Year.

cool !

y'all have a great christmas,
    hope to hear from you soon.
    www.bytehawk.net

1 : Imac 27’ I7 mid 2017 8Gb ram

Ah! A masterful tactical move! Has someone at NewTek been reading Sun Tzu? You give bad news and yet make a LOT of people happy with the public beta announcement.

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    Well, that sounds good to me! Thanks Chuck.

Happy Festivus, everyone!

Edit: Woops, I should have taken the chance to use this emoticon...

It doesn't get any better.
    Last edited by geothefaust; 12-21-2005 at 10:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast