Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Skins Thread

Ah! What we had was a failure to communicate. My apologies.

What I wanted to do was find a way of color-coding the busses (or their text) so that when I saw that DDR1 had a green bar and a yellow bar on the button, I could quickly and easily refresh my memory as to what that meant without having to actually chase down which buttons were where. Or worse, trying to find it in the manual.

After all, they went to all the trouble of making (and changing as needed) the color-coded bars in the first place.

Or am I being excessively lazy and nit-picky?

Color coded inputs

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    Maybe you are dragging a color and dropping it on the numbers in the "Main", "Program", or "DSK" rows?

Instead drop the color right on the text IE: "YC1", "DDR", etc.
    Hi Gordon,

I have been doing something nearly like this for about a year now. I even, at Paul's request, wrote it up as a tutorial for the NewTek site. I think that you will love the rest of it, if you do a complicated switch with multiple DDRs.

I use a pastel colors so as not to compete with the colors that NewTek uses on the switcher, and so the print labels for the DDRs are still very readable. I first drop the tint into the labels for the DDRs themselves, and then drag the tinted label to the switcher. With that, I can tell at a glance if I have the next DDR on Preview in the switcher. Has been a big help.

Nes Gurley

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalek
    Ah! What we had was a failure to communicate. My apologies.

What I wanted to do was find a way of color-coding the busses (or their text) so that when I saw that DDR1 had a green bar and a yellow bar on the button, I could quickly and easily refresh my memory as to what that meant without having to actually chase down which buttons were where. Or worse, trying to find it in the manual.

After all, they went to all the trouble of making (and changing as needed) the color-coded bars in the first place.

Or am I being excessively lazy and nit-picky?
    The little red, yellow, green "LEDS" on the switcher and ddr are hard coded and not available for us to increase the size of. I would love to have larger indicators or "tallys" essentially.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    It would be cool to have something like a large tally light or maybe a glow around the DDR if it is live on the Main bus. Maybe a green glow if selected on the Preview bus. That would be cool. There is this product called TriCaster that does it like this. Very nifty.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ
    It would be cool to have something like a large tally light or maybe a glow around the DDR if it is live on the Main bus. Maybe a green glow if selected on the Preview bus. That would be cool. There is this product called TriCaster that does it like this. Very nifty.
    I always liked that as well Jef. It is not just the original TriCaster that is that way. The TriCaster Pro has it as well. As I recall there is no such indication in TriCaster STUDIO. I know you can have the little window with the DDRs. Do they do the red/green thing?

Nes Gurley

Color coordinated DDRs

Quote Originally Posted by Cineman
    I use a pastel colors so as not to compete with the colors that NewTek uses on the switcher, and so the print labels for the DDRs are still very readable. I first drop the tint into the labels for the DDRs themselves, and then drag the tinted label to the switcher. With that, I can tell at a glance if I have the next DDR on Preview in the switcher. Has been a big help.
    Nes Gurley
    Yes, that is a big help. It still requires a bit of hunting in that you have to first look at the switcher program/preview row, then at the color and then find the corresponding colored DDR. It takes about 1 second, which in a live switch is a significant time but without the color coding as you suggested it can take 2 seconds or more if you have 6 DDRs open, (lower thirds, song lyrics, presentation note illustrations, left thirds, video clips, color bars).

Question

Can anyone tell me where I can download skin templates for VT5 / (TriCaster?) etc. (as supplied, before they are modified).

And is there any documentation for the Toaster Script files?

Does SpeedEdit use skins too?

Anyone???????????

There's a reason I'm asking!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Skins availability

I doubt that you can dowload them. I would expect that they are part of the intellectual property of NewTek and not to be released and made available on a public www, (just a guess mind you).

OTOH, you could probably ask NewTek (John Perkins maybe) for them in a private e-mail and I would expect them to help you out. I haven't even looked at the skins directory in VT[5] (nor TriCasters) yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ
    The little red, yellow, green "LEDS" on the switcher and ddr are hard coded and not available for us to increase the size of. I would love to have larger indicators or "tallys" essentially.
    That would be nice, but not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a small graphic element, such as a circle or a box, next to the name of each buss on the switcher, with the color of that buss in the graphic element.

A simple visual reminder of what the little tally lights on the buttons mean. An aid to faster memorization. And a useful crutch for people who can't remember a damned thing at all. [wry smile]

If one can change the entire appearance of the skin (if not the hard-wired behaviors), then it seems to me a simple thing to add. If I knew XML or whatever it is that the skins are written in, I would have done it myself months ago, when I first learned the skins can be modified.

Well, when my copy of VT[5] arrives, I'll study it and see if I can learn a bit just from reading the code. Assuming that XML is similar to HTML.

This is more inline with what I was talking about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On.png 
Views:	548 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	52044  

Drop dead easy

Quote Originally Posted by Thalek
    This is more inline with what I was talking about
    You're right. This is drop dead easy.

In fact, you're practicaly finished; really. All you need to do is get the graphics from the "...VT[4]/Skins/TabbedSwitcher/Default/" directory, paint them up just the way you did and save them back. You will need to do these 3; Off.png, Offro.png and On.png. I may take 5 minutes and do the Off.png for you just to show you.

How to color code.

Here is the step by step.

1. Create a directory in "VT4\Skins\TabbedSwitcher\User Skins" and call it "08 Input Color Coded".
    2. Copy all the files from "VT4\Skins\TabbedSwitcher\Default\08 Input" to your new directory from step 1; ie: "VT4\Skins\TabbedSwitcher\User Skins\08 Input Color Coded".
    3. Copy all the files from "VT4\Skins\TabbedSwitcher\Default\SkinSupport" to "VT4\Skins\TabbedSwitcher\User Skins"
    4. Load the "Off.png" from "VT4\Skins\TabbedSwitcher\User Skins\08 Input Color Coded", color it to your liking and save it back.
    5. Right click on the switcher and choose "User Skins" - voila.

(It seems that you don't have to do the other files that I mentioned in the previous post. Only the Off.png seems to be needed.)

Here is the Off.png file which you can use, (right click and "save image as"):

5 minutes was a bit optomistic

Okay, it wasn't 5 minutes to make this change. It was 39 minutes including the testing and the tutorial. It's that optomizism gene rearing it's ugly head again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    Okay, it wasn't 5 minutes to make this change. It was 39 minutes including the testing and the tutorial. It's that optomizism gene rearing it's ugly head again.
    Thanks, Gordon! That was very generous of you. I really appreciate it, and anyone who had similar questions to mine undoubtedly appreciates it, too.

Ok Gordon, you got me started and now I'm flustered......
    Followed your instructions (or so I thoght!) but I don't get anything different coming up on user skins? Any suggestions?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast