Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware accelerated rendering

Hardware accelerated rendering

I would like to see LightWave implement hardware accelerated rendering.

accelerated by CPU and RAM?

I would like to see GPU's taking the burden for things like Hyper Voxels etc. They tend to be good at those sort of things.
    I know where I'm going and I know the truth and I don't have to be what you want me to be
    I'm free to be what I want

Agreed...everything graphical should be moving towards hardware use, especially as GPU's get better and better.
    Sieze the time...Live now, make now always the most precious time, for now will never come again

GPU can't accelerate voxels. GPU only accelerate polygons. GPU can render shadows and stuff and full-scene-antialiasing that look as good as raytraced ones.

Even so...GPU's would make rendering faster, would they not?
    Sieze the time...Live now, make now always the most precious time, for now will never come again

Implementing hardware rendering would put Lightwave's rendering quality at the mercy of the quality of the GPU. Any competitor would be able to take advantage of any inherant weaknesses of the GPU and produce a better renderer.

I wouldn't mind an option for to use the GPU as a preview or for those who develop games. But I would definitely not want it to be my only option.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

I agree that it would have to be an option. Actually I dont see how else they would go about it. It would be a major overhaul to run the renders solely off the graphics boards, support for boards should be added in order to keep up with Maya and other 3d renderers.

I didnt mean that the GPU was the only method, but use them for what they are good for, and the rest for the CPU etc. Although good GPU's might be capable of Real Time for the game people.
    I know where I'm going and I know the truth and I don't have to be what you want me to be
    I'm free to be what I want

if there is a hardware to accelerate rendering. All plugins for render should be rewrite. But I think a good ideia.

And newtek(Andrew Cross) have know about this.

later
    V a l t e r . S i l v e i r a
    3D Artist - Editor
    http://valtersilveira3d.blogspot.com

All plugins for render should be rewrite.
    That's not necessary, since hardware will most likely unable to accelerate any render process that has to do with raytracing.

I believe Maya now supports hardware rendering... Up to 20x faster for broadcast graphics type stuff...

As an option for previews and the like, yes, otherwise I dont think it is a good idea. Todays GPUs are still alcking in mayn parts.
    I am not sure about hypervoxels not working as acceleration for volumetrics has been introduced with Geforce 3 if I remember correctly. However, all this will only be usefull for previews or stuff where the quality is not as important as speed.
    CU
    Elmar

Quality was mentioned. I dont see how the quality would be worse if a GPU is in use. It is built to do what the software does just faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast