Thread: Commodore One

Commodore One

I thought some folks might be interested to know that the initial production run of the Commodore One motherboard just completed. We're told that it will be a couple of weeks while they replace the ROMs, since they just developed the ability for the ROMs to be internet-flashed. At the bottom of the pictures page there's a link to pictures of the production run. Including one of the final board with all the "easter eggs" on it.

You can find out more about the Commodore One here:
    Commodore One Website

Briefly, the Commodore One is a reconfigurable motherboard based upon the Commodore 64, running a 65c816 cpu at 20 mhz. The graphics and sound capabilities have been enhanced, it's been made compatible with ATX cases and VGA monitors, and has a processor slot making it reconfigurable for a variety of systems, such as those employing Z-80 CPUS. By design, you could make the system an Apple-II, Atari, Timex-Sinclair, whatever suits you. Check it out; I can't give a worthy description here, briefly.
    It isn't a C-64 emulator, either. It's a Commodore 64 enhanced in a massive way.

There's a mailing list if you want to follow the development as I have been doing. I figure some of the guys at Newtek might be interested in it, not for its commercial value, but because it's a neat and innovative electronic device, like the stuff Newtek makes
    Last edited by Hiraghm; 05-04-2003 at 11:42 AM.
    "Between midnight and dawn, when sleep will not come and all the old wounds begin to ache, I often have a nightmare vision of a future world in which there are billions of people, all numbered and registered, with not a gleam of genius anywhere, not an original mind, a rich personality, on the whole, packed globe."
    -- J.B. Priestly

Exporter of Fine Polygons Psyhke's Avatar
    I had a Commodore 64, and have very fond memories of it. But maybe you can tell me, what is the purpose of making this machine? Is there a commercial purpose, or just nostalgia, what?
    Hey, who likes cupcakes!!?

It's not to compete with Windows, if that's what you mean. It's a hobbiest's machine. From the discussions I've seen, people are working up multitasking OSes for it, alternate CPUs, robotic control, games and graphics apps. While speed-wise it's about as powerful as a '286, I suspect video-wise it will be a lot more powerful than that. My interest, for example, is possibly creating new games and/or graphics apps, to play with its enhanced capabilities. But you can always just play the old games on it, too.
    "Between midnight and dawn, when sleep will not come and all the old wounds begin to ache, I often have a nightmare vision of a future world in which there are billions of people, all numbered and registered, with not a gleam of genius anywhere, not an original mind, a rich personality, on the whole, packed globe."
    -- J.B. Priestly

Exporter of Fine Polygons Psyhke's Avatar
    Hehe... I wonder if the games I had on cassette tape will load onto the Commodore One.

Okay, so for hobbiests then. I can dig that.
    Hey, who likes cupcakes!!?

in a computer magazine at b&n

I saw a whole bundle of os emulators on cd the other day and one of them was the comodore 64