Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio and video problems with VT

Audio and video problems with VT

1. Video Problem:
    I just plugged in the adapters NewTek sent and I am now broadcasting out from the VT using S-video. It looks wonderfully clear except there is a lot of flickering on my tv, especially with intense reds, oranges, etc. How can I get VT to stop broadcasting that flickering? I did use the Video legalizer in Aura and changed all the colors accordingly with that filter.

2. Audio Problem:
    My audio OUT connection from the VT produces a constant rhythmic thumping sound, plus occasional random static scratching noises. How do I get rid of that stuff?

Thanks. Sierra
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

Does the flickering happen if you monitor the composite out? if there is no flicker on composite then your S cable might be bad or not conected correctly, Had something like that happen to me, I was using component conections to a Beta deck and somehow connected things wrong, (green cable to sync in I think it was) and like you said, some colors flickered like mad. No idea on the audio problems.. one thing to check besides cables is the LAN card, known problems are caused by local network collitions.

Make sure you have S-video selected for output in the VT2 Preferences. At least on my SX-8 equipped VT2, it is set to component by default.

john

Have you played with the settings in the toasterscope? If not, give it a shot. Open a Processing Amp and then set click on the small "s" in the upper right corner - this will give you an additional row of settings to adjust.

Open a Toasterscope and set it on the "y" tab.

Once both are up and running, the settings: saturation, u gain, v gain should take out some of the reds without totally killing the picture. Yes, you will lose some of the vibrant colors in the red spectrum, but it should somewhat minimize any illegal signal.

Other than five minutes of experimenting, it won't cost you any new cables in the short run.

audio problems have been known to happen if the case gets too warm. do you have enough cooling power?
    If you aren't confused, you aren't working hard enough........

Thanks for the helpfulness.

As to the sound problem:

It occurs right from the get go, so I doubt it is a heat problem. Also we have enough cooling. My husband thinks maybe one of the cooling fans is creating a frequency feedback but he hasn't experimented with that as yet since we are trying other suggestions. But we will get to it. We just bought a top of the line computer so we will see if the vendor can help when he opens on Monday.

As to the video problem:

Our LAN connection is built into our motherboard and is not a separate card. Yes, we do have s-video selected in VT Preferences Output. But you're right, we had to change it from the default component.

Thanks about using Toasterscope. I saw that in the manual but forget about it. I will try working with that. We are probably using the wrong word when we say flicker. It more like a pulsing of color, slight radiating movement. But the picture is quite clear.

I'll check back with you all and post any results as they occur.

Thanks again, Sierra
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

Toasterscope

OK, I started working with the Toasterscope as you suggested Keith.

My problem is I can't get it to affect the project in Ted. I found where you can select the video source you want to affect but nowhere can you just pick something that lives on your hard drive that is loaded into ToasterEdit. So changing the dials in Toasterscope do me no good because nothing happens to the images I have on the ToasterVision monitor nor the TV.

Then I brought up the Proc Amp as the manual says to do but it seems to be concerned with images that are coming in to your computer from an outside source like a camera or a video deck and not with what is already in your computer. At least I can't find how to get it to relate to my project.

Do you know how to do this?

Thanks. Sierra
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

To make changes to brightness, contrast and hue in TEdit, go to the edit properties panel (F8 or the blue E at the bottom of the screen). Go to the drop down panel and select color correction. Everything you need will be there.
    Dan Hong
    http://www.gnoasis.com

Dan is right, the process amp only corrects incoming signals. The TEd side of color correction will be done via the edit panel.

One thing you might want to consider when using the edit panel. If you have a number of clips that need correcting, select all of them and make them into a subproject. You can then correct the subproject, which will in turn correct all of the clips at the same time.

This will really only be a time saver if all the clips are to be corrected.

Poof! Problem gone!

Thanks about finding the controls in the edit panel.

We had an amazing experience just now. We recorded our project on video tape to play on someone else's TV in case the problem is with our TV. When we played it back on our TV before taking it across the street to the other TV, we were astounded to see it doesn't show up even on our TV when played back on video.

All this fuss over something that doesn't even get recorded. I apologize for taking your time with it. I am baffled and relieved.

Also when my husband turned off our computer speakers (he had the sound going into a switchbox where you could choose TV or computer speakers), our sound problem disappeared.

So it's onward and upward for us now, we hope.

Thanks again all of you, Sierra
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

We were just dreaming.

Well I turned on the computer this morning and all our sound problems are back again.

We will take this up with NewTek support and post what the final answer is-- if we ever get it fixed. (That constant pulsing that breaks up the sound.) We got the tapping to go away by turning off "audio in" to the VT.

I'll post more when we know anything...Sierra
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

hmmm is your audio coming AND going to a deck or mixer? if so you will have feedback weirdness (the audio loops on itself), make sure you turn off audio out on the VT audio mixer when recording to the VT and audio in when playing or recording to tape. Does that make sense?..

Thanks Danner. I have pulled the slider for Toaster In on the audio mixer all the way to the bottom. Then I want to send out from the computer and I still get the distortions. Is there another way to turn off Audio In besides pulling that slider down?

Pulling out the Audio In cable in back of the computer doesn't seem to make any difference at all.
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

hmm I'm out of ideas.. exept maybe some packet writing software, Easy CD creator or similar software causing a conflict. I had audio issues that went away after I blew the dust off the toaster card! it's very touchy. But yours is new so I bet it's not that.

Danner,

We finally got through to tech support. We were given a laundry list of things to try and one of them is to turn off one little feature in the Direct CD software. So you might have put your finger on it. We are going through suggestion by suggestion. In case you are interested, here's our list:

In bios, disable Audio On Board sound card and turn off Plug and Play.

Upgrade Windows Media Player.

Check to see if the fire wire connection is interfering.

The feature in Direct CD we should turn off is what let's you right click on explorer to send a file to the cd burner.

I'll post when we solve it just for your general information (and anyone else who may read this).

Thanks again, Sierra
    Sierra Rose

sierrandipity.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast