Thread: dual Proc PC as a render node

dual Proc PC as a render node

Hey everyone

i have my new screamernet setup working like a dream ...

my render node is a dual Xeon PC but whenever i run a screamernet render
    it only uses 1 of the processors..

so i tried to run 2 nodes on the same machine one for each processor
    which works but only when i render one or more frames..one frame still only uses one processor

how can i make 2 processors on 1 node render 1 frame..

thanks a lot
    n

From what I understand using ScreamerNet will not allow you to artificially multithread scene renders (multiprocessor on 1 frame).
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year. Running over the same old ground, what have we found, the same old fears, wish you were here.

Wish You Were Here
    Pink Floyd

launch 1 screamernet node, and make sure that the lightwave config file LW8.CFG it's reading from, is set to 2 or more threads. ('RenderThreads 4')then it will use your 2 cpus.. (check using the task manager)

= : >--[: ]===
    As JML said:

but it is far more efficient to use a rendermanager that can split up a frame (like TequilaScream) in multiple pieces, since there are several parts of the render process that are NOT multitasking. You can then put these tasks on 2 seperate processors...if you have sufficient RAM of course
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!

Where exactly does the "RenderThreads 4" setting appear in the LW8.cfg file?
    I can't seem to get any change in performance (as if its being commented out but I am just adding the line as you specifed it above but without the quotes).
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

with the powerful program called notepad , search "RenderThreads" in lw8.cfg and you will find it

(this setting is changed every time you close layout.
    so when you close layout, it put in the cfg file how many thread was used in the last scene..)