Thread: Hardware locks and Ghost multicasting

Hardware locks and Ghost multicasting

Hi there,

I have got a computer lab in a secondary school environment with machines that frequently need to be rebuilt and have images refreshed (sometimes as often as every second day).

We use Symantec's Ghost software for this. It allows us to rebuild an entire classroom in 20 minutes. A requirement for Ghost to work is that all machines should be exactly the same set of hardware. ONce the image has been rolled out to all machines the individual machine names and IP addresses are changed so there are no issues with duplicate IP addresses.

I have difficulty visualising how I can make Lightwave's registration security work in this environment. For instance, after a ghost rebuild, all copies of lightwave will have the same license key and serial number, which means the lock ID dongles will be incorrect for all but one machine and they will stop working!

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

Your help is appreciated.

Francesco van Eerd
    HOD Computer Studies
    Rongotai College
    Wellington
    New Zealand

Why don't you try this take the license file on each machine and save that to a floppy, once you reinstall all the machines, copy the license file back to the machine.
    If this is done from a master computer, you could store all license files onto the master computer and run a batch file copying and pasting the files to the correct machines. Each license file could have a new file extention on the master computer that is numeric, to help keep them organized.
    This probably would be easier if all computers are assigned a drive letter, then you could just change drive letters in the batch program.
    Just some ideas, good luck
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Francesco, are you storing the ghosts on the machines or do you have one image that is accessed over the network?

I would suggest you get each machine configured to work correctly with it's dongle and license, then create a unique ghost for each machine, storing it on a second partition.

I do QA work for a software company, and use Ghost many times each day.