Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a better set-up than this?

Is there a better set-up than this?

I was wondering if anyone would recommend a better config than what I have at the moment - I mean not getting the new duel 1.4 gig macs, but what can I do to improve this current one...

G4 duel 1.25 gig
    512 DDR Ram
    ATI Radeon 9000

let me know...

cheers.

Buy the gforce 4600 titanium card..

RAM!

Add more RAM to your computer and you should be good.

I'm not sure that subbing a GForce4Ti card for the Radeon9000 will improve anything. The Radeon9700, however, might. But we'll have to wait to see how it performs on the Mac, once it is released...
    PowerMac G4/1.25ghzDP/1.75 GB RAM - OS X
    Powerbook G4/1ghz/1GB RAM - OS X
    AMD 2200 XP/512MB RAM/WinXP
    Power Mac G3/266MT -256MB RAM - OS 9.2
    Visit [URL=http://www.osxfactor.com]OS X Factor[/URL] - OS X News & Resources

yeah, I ordered another 512 mb ram ontop of the standard system config. but I recieved a 256 mb instead - I should have gotton them to change it but at the time I just wanted to get home and start up!

Next thing is ram then... the annoying thing is though - I have an older G4 with a 512 mb ram upgarde init - I have tried to slip that in my new G4 but, of course it doesn't fit!!! hehe - worth a try!

I am thinking about the GForce 4 Ti next... but its not essential I suppose.

http://mirror.ati.com/products/mac/r...ome/index.html

I wonder if it accelerate Lightwave´s OpenGL?

Looks like they are promoting it as a game card... wonder how much it will improve on the 9000 card...

Radeon 9700

The 9700 (upon it's release), will be the best graphics card (for 3D) that you can buy for the Mac, at least until nVidias next chip comes out. That next nVidia card is supposed to be a behemoth though - it takes up 2 slots, because it's fan is so big.

Plus, ATIs drivers tend to be a little better on the Mac, whereas on the PC it's vice-versa.
    PowerMac G4/1.25ghzDP/1.75 GB RAM - OS X
    Powerbook G4/1ghz/1GB RAM - OS X
    AMD 2200 XP/512MB RAM/WinXP
    Power Mac G3/266MT -256MB RAM - OS 9.2
    Visit [URL=http://www.osxfactor.com]OS X Factor[/URL] - OS X News & Resources

Question

Really I'd like to know what difference a card makes. I have a nvidia geForce4 MX. I sold the geforce 3 because it was too loud. Then I bought a new machine. The jump from a dual 800 to a dual 1 gig I notice. Everything faster. That jump included the new card. I never switched cards to test. But WHAT does a faster card do? Processor power I understand. More calulations; faster render. But does any card really have trouble keeping up with the cpu? Is it all about redraw?

I know it sounds basic. So be it. Can someone explain?

Yes the graphic card will help with screen redraw and textures and all that good stuff. I'm still using a Radeon 8500 w/a Powerlogix 1ghz single. When I upgraded it I noticed an increase in speed and screen redraw (was previously a G4 450 w/ Radeon). Bah, now I'm adjusted and it seems as slow as it was before.

Pixel realestate agent
    Radeon 8500 is a faster card than the 9000 in all aspects.. 9000 is the mx version of the radeons.
    Try and get an ATI 9700 or just goto a pc shop and buy a GF 4 ti card and mac flash it to save some money and spend it on more ram.

Get one of those 8 meg cached Seagate HD's, almost as fast as a UW scsii drive for less.
    Or go UW scsii.
    Try and have 1.5 gigs of ram.
    Wacom would speed up productivity too.

'Radeon 8500 is a faster card than the 9000 in all aspects..'

Eh??? Why is that a faster card???

ATI 9700 or GF4 Ti which is the better and how much is the difference?

'Get one of those 8 meg cached Seagate HD's, almost as fast as a UW scsii drive for less.
    Or go UW scsii.'

I have a Wacom thats no problem.

Pixel realestate agent
    ATI97000 is faster than GF 4 ti.
    GF 4 ti can be cheapoer if u buy a 3rd party pc one and flash rom it, you could save %50.

8500 was faster than the 9000 card in every aspect, ATI just used stupid numbers to confuse everyone, FACT.

8 meg cached Seagates now are 10k rpm in speed, theyre very very fast, as fast as UW 160 scsii !

"8 meg cached Seagates now are 10k rpm in speed, theyre very very fast, as fast as UW 160 scsii !"

Why do I need one of these? I already have a hard drive.

Newbie Member

flashing a pc card for a mac

I was reading this forum and ran across people talking about buying a G4 for a PC and "flashing" it to work on a Mac. How do you do this? Is it complicated?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast