Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sooooo Exciting I Can Hardly Wait!!!

Newbie Member

Sooooo Exciting I Can Hardly Wait!!!

Hi, no will probably care but im going to tell you all anyway im so excitied im sitting here waiting for my new computers 2nd hard drive to format so i can copy my LW stuff to and see how it goes!!!

I just finished putting my new PC all together AMD X2 4800+ with 2 gig of ram, 2 x dual layer dvd burners, 2 SATA2 250gig Hard Drives, Nvidia Geforce 6600GT and a wireless keyboard!!!

Just had a quick question though my moterboard has all this temperature control software on it for the GPU and CPU fans, anyone got any ideas on what a safe temp is? also at what temp you start to melt your chips? Reason i ask is my moterboard also has a heap of overclocking tools but i dont wanna push it to hard tempurature wise.

Cheers.

groove660-
    anyone got any ideas on what a safe temp is?
    500 Degrees

Only Joking, Jealousy's an evil thing.
    If the new systems are anything like the old you should be OK on 60 degrees or so but I'm sure someone will write with more accurate figures.

ps - Nice system
    Brent

How much did that cost you? im still zipping along w/ a dual 2Ghz Xeon.

amd x2 4800+ ? what is tht? and 6600gt is tht SLI? if not i think its bit slower for tht powder system.....
    new web page up www.null.hr

Newbie Member
    Just been doing some test renders in LW and have noticed that the temp hangs around 50-51 degrees (not over clocked) so i think i will wait a while and get some more info b4 i over clock.

Interestingly though i rendered the moon base scene off the LW8 cd and compared the number of threads and render times. Im kinda confused by the results. Basically i rendered the scene 4 times each with the standard settings (AA Classic Enhanced Medium, 640x480, image viewer FP) that the scene was loaded with and recorded the time.

heres the results
    my old computer (AMD 1.2Ghz Athlon O/C'd to 1.33Ghz, 1 gig of ram)
    1 thread - 38m 40s

My new computer (as listed above), the number in brackets is the order i did the renders in:
    1 thread - 12m 27s (1)
    2 threads - 12m 47s (4)
    4 threads - 13m 20s (3)
    8 threads - 14m 26s (2) note screen saver did kick in for a second so maybe cost me some time.

Note i did not restart or close lightwave between each render.

Anyways as you can see it totally destorys my old system so im happy, but im confused as to while 1 thread was the quickest. I havent changed any of the default settings yet in LW its self so maybe i could tweak it some more if i knew what all those options did. But anyways i guess for time being i will be sticking to 1 thread. Any ideas???

Inquisitive - cost far too much, but its all tax deductable so who cares!! cost me $1300AUS so around $950US.

mav3rick - AMD 64 bit X2 4800 + is a new dual core AMD chip (their fastest..i think...). The 6600GT is SLI as is my motherboard

Cheers

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    I remember someone recently saying that if you installed windows with only one cpu then it doesn't have everything it needs for dual processors. I don't know if you need to reinstall or if there's something else you can do ... or if I heard wrong andthis is all wrong

Karmacop may have a point there. If I remember correctly, you should also reinstall Windows to get SSE2 (and SSE3) support to function properly, now that your processor (and Lightwave when it comes to SSE2) supports these...

Also install the latest x2 driver form AMD and the latest BIOS for your MB.

even if it goes around 65 degrees there is no problem with melting or anything, if u check the motherboard does close the computer if the processor goes over 85 or 95 degrees. Because it is dualcore when u render with multiple threads should go much faster, right now ther is something wrong so u shoul update also BIOS, and a fresh windows install.

When you are done.. Please run this..

http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/lwautobench.html

And post the results for us..

and also , you are using XP pro, right ?
    (XPhome doesn't support dual cpu..)

Newbie Member
    Thanx guys, yeah i running xp pro and since its a new computer it was a fresh install. I was going to get xp 64bit but decided against it since there are many issues with drivers etc at the moment. I'll update my bios and X2 driver now, and post my results when done.

Cheers

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    the Athlon 4800+ should be the fastest AMD chip for multi-threaded applications or multiple applications running at the same time.

The GF6600 can be SLI, but can run as one card also. This is true of all GF6x00 series PCIE cards. He did not specify it was PCIE, so it MIGHT be AGP (but given the extent of the upgrade, I should hope not)

I've been thinking about doing something similar myself.....I do love me some hardware upgrades

Newbie Member
    Verlon - correct you are my 6600 GT is PCI-E, at the moment i only have one so it's not running in SLI mode, im not sure wheather its worth it at the moment anyway cos i dont really play games on my pc.

RESULTS ARE IN!!!!

Anyways i updated the bios for board and the chipset, now im not sure how fast this thing should run but **** its quick now!!! Before the bios/chipset upgrade i ran that LW benchmark thingie on the DOF test and the quickest time i could get was 6.0seconds (regardless of the number of threads). After the bios/chipset upgrades this time has been cut to 3.1 seconds and i can see in my AI booster (a control panel that shows temperature, fan rpm and processor use) that two processors are now showing up. I re-ran my moon base test and using 8 threads and all the same settings as before, it renders in 7min 40secs, 1 thread it takes 12m 20s (same as before) however for the single thread render the last two passes of the render the CPU utilization was at 22% and 52% mmm not sure about why, but anyway 8 threads is definatly quicker.

Just as a note i havent really changed any settings at all in XP or the bios or LW so its quite possible it could run faster. Also it appears that with both cores running the chip runs colder. Last nite it was running at 50-51 degrees celceus currently its rendering somthing at around 38-40 degress celceus. However its a pretty cold day today so that mite be it, i dunno.

All i can say coming from my old 1.2Ghz athlon im in heaven at the moment, guess this will last for a month or two untill they release quadripple core CPU's for a quater of the price of mine

Cheers

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSpyrison
    When you are done.. Please run this..

http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/lwautobench.html

And post the results for us..

Which test/s should i run for you guys?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast