Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Can anyone help me with CSS?

OT: Can anyone help me with CSS?

Dear Fellow LightWavers,

I am having trials and tribulations with CSS - I keep hearing you can do amazing things with it, but it just seems to me to be a pain in the rear end.

Basically I'm designing a site for a friend (so thankfully no deadlines!). This is what I have:

www.bakersvideo.com/LeeHardyTennis.html

This is the kind of design I want (ie navigation down the left under the main title):

www.thetreatmentrooms.co.uk

Here's a link to my .css file:

Stylesheet file

I know this is way OT so I'm clutching at straws here, but if anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Adrian.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

For 5 pages adrain I would not bother with CSS to be honest why not just build yor base base with the links (all the buttons set up ) then x4 the page then add the content for each one?

To be honest all my web page stuff now is all Flash with a HTML frame work very easy to alter and update.

BTW when I mean flash I don't mean flashy graphics it just standard stuff but delivered in a SWF file on the HTML back drop also I've go some good html code if you want to make sure your pages a right in the middle of the sceen no matter what your screen res.
    Last edited by badllarma; 08-18-2005 at 04:51 AM.
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

What you're looking to do is (obviously) achievable with CSS, but you may very well lose lots of hair in the process. I find CSS to be great for formatting things - fonts, text blocks, tables, etc - but crap at actually positioning things. Which makes sense, seeing as how it's a style guide...

First thing I would suggest is check into "float" and "clear" - these'll clear up some of the problems with #Main-Content not lining up with #Navigation at the top. Other than that, I would honestly suggest using tables for your layout. Set up the styles as you've done, then apply them to a table - it's much more flexible as far as the liquid-ity of the design and cross - browser interepretation similarities. Also, it's perfectly acceptable in web design circles to do it this way (unless something has violently changed in the last three weeks or so..)

Don't know what online references you're using, but I found CSS Creator Forums to be a lot of help. Also, the O'Reilly CSS Pocket Reference book is a great reference manual.

Wow, already two valuable replies. Thanks guys. Actually I'm quite glad to hear you say "it's crap at positioning things".... I absolutely 100% agree with this. This also means that maybe it's not because I'm being stupid after all. As for losing my hair.... yes - and my temper!!

My initial thought (before being told how great CSS is) was to use tables and maybe have a simple Flash header (my last few websites have been 100% Flash) so that the site loads quickly.

As already stated, CSS is GREAT for styling things such as fonts etc. For anything else... well it just seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

Adrian.

P.S. Thanks for the link (although it appears to be down at the mo)
    Adrian.

No frames suck your Users can't bookmark internal pages and they excape the frame set. I prefer PHP Includes, XHTML for structure and CSS for design. I'm not keen on tableless CSS though, prefer to use Tables.

riki - I agree about frames. Just not a good idea all around. Tabled CSS certainly is - for me, anyway - the easiest and most flexible HTML design approach. Obviously, Flash is the way to go for total control, but sometimes full Flash is just overkill.

adrian - link works fine for me. Weird... the full link (in case you need to copy/paste for whatever reason) is http://www.csscreator.com/css-forum/index.php. CSS can be used successfully to position things, but it's odd in its implementation - I just finished a site where I used php to pull data from a database of schedule information and then formatted and placed the data into a calendar built and positioned with CSS styles - it works, but every now and then you've got to refresh the browser to get the days to line up. No reason why, and I can't get it to not work with any regularity in either FF or IE. That and I lost a lot of sleep trying to the derned thing to work.

Personally, I would go with your gut - use tables for layout and possibly a Flash header if they want the animation and glitz.

I always use tables and CSS with them. seems like a good combination and works for what i want.

if you want a fairly simple tutorial on CSS try this:
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...lesheet_guide/

They also have a very good HTML Cheatcheat to look back on:
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...ml_cheatsheet/

and one of the most useful things (if your coding in notepad or something other than dreamweaver/indesign):
    Color Codes Sheet:
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...e/color_codes/
    Brian Arndt
    brianarndt.com

"Slide show...boring...losing consciousness..." ~ The Tick

If you on a mac and want a very quick way of setting up a css based site you could look at http://www.realmacsoftware.com/
    Rapidweaver produces very quick css based sites.
    and what's more Adrian they are based in your home town.

as an example, this site was built with Rapidweaver
    http://www.fxstation.com/

Colin
    Last edited by noiseboy; 08-18-2005 at 08:48 AM.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair
    after a sneeze.

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    I thought I'd make a breif reply.

You should always use CSS even if it's just 4 pages. Don't use font tags, they are really bad.

You can use CSS with divs etc to make a cool layout but it is harder than tables, especially because things can render differently in different browsers.

You shouldn't use tables except for tabled data although as I've said it's easier and faster.

If you can use php/java/javascript etc to add common data (header, menu, footer) to your pages if possible.

A List Apart has some good tuts and articles
    http://www.alistapart.com/topics/css/

I had to learn CSS in a week for a class project not too long ago and now I can't code a site without it.

Here is my Lightwave Project Site (It's pretty dated but I might update it later on). All done with Notepad by the way.

http://www.bmadigital.com/lw3d

Here is the link to my CSS file for that site:
    http://www.bmadigital.com/lw3d/css/frameformat.css

The site heavily uses CSS and hardly any internal attributes. Another is my personal site which also relies on CSS www.bmadigital.com and the CSS file here.

Hope I helped a little. Hey if I was forced to learn it in a week I bet you can too. Lemme know if you have any questions about the site. I love coding. Good Luck!
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Thanks for all the replies and links guys, I really appreciate it!

Hey Wickster that's a great site; nicely laid out, quick loading and I love the scrolling box so everything is contained. Also, many thanks for sharing your CSS code. Looks bloody complicated to me!!!!!!!! Your others are very good too, but my favourite is the LW one

I guess you picked up CSS a lot faster than I am as I've been learning it for about a week and I'm nowhere near being able to produce something like that!

Hopefully with all the resources listed here (never come across ANY of them) I will be put on the right track

One question for Karmacop: why are font tags so bad? In fact, what are font tags??!!! Do you mean don't use something like: font-family, font-style etc?

Thanks once again,

Adrian.
    Last edited by adrian; 08-18-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    Adrian.

Font tags are used in html .. 3 I think it is. They look like <font> and you can use it to change the colour/size/font of the text mid sentence.

When using html 4 or higher with css you should use <span> tags instead. It just makes everything much nicer to edit. For example, if you used font tags and then realised you wanted to change the size or colour of the font on every page then you'd have to change every font tag. With css you just edit one line and you're done. It really makes development much easier and faster.

If you're having trouble learning CSS (I had a lot of trouble at first) then I suggest make your webpage in html with a table and only do simple things with css such as font size and colour of your basic tags.

EDIT: fixing my < and > signs
    Last edited by Karmacop; 08-18-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Adrian!

I'm with Karmacop on the subject of font tags. I think what he's asking you to avoid is the:

<font size="+3" color="#FF0000" face="Times New Roman"><b>Big, Bold, Red, Times New Roman Text</b></font>

Imagine typing that tag for every big bold red times new roman text you have for your site. Definitely use CSS instead. Can't wait to see what you do with your site soon.
    ASUS G2S | T7500 C2Duo @ 2.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 256MB NVidia 8600M GT | Win 7 Home 64Bit

AMD X6 1090T @ 3.20GHz | 4GB RAM | 1.2GB NVidia 470GTX | Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Thanks Wickster, that's exactly what I mean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast