Thread: automating a foot in a walk cycle

Newbie Member

automating a foot in a walk cycle

I am trying to animate a T-rex in Lightwave and I do not want to keyframe each toe on each foot for every step he takes. Is there a way I can automate this like in a Messiah demo I saw once? In the Messiah demo when the t-rex foot got close to the ground plane it automatically moved intot he correct postion, the closer the foot got to the ground the more horizontal its pose was. Do I have to use a Expressions? ANy help is much appreciated.

One thing you could do is use a modifier that would rotate the pitch based on other peramiters. Cyclist is one that comes to mind. There are a few things that will do that. Only thing is you are limited to those that come in the motion options panel when IK is involved.

As an example you would set up a keyframe animation of the foot rotating on the pitch axis in the desired fashion. This animation would be controlled by cyclist to rotate the foot as it moves on the y.

Don't know if this is the best idea but only one example. There are other modifiers that control things in similar ways. Look in the add modiffier list in the motion options panel.

Someone may know something better or an ls or plugin.

Newbie Member
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I am going to play with cyclist and see what I can figure out.