Thread: How are people using Vue in conjunction with LW?

How are people using Vue in conjunction with LW?

I'm just curious how Vue is being used in connection with LW. Does LW import objects, terrains, textures, camera settings, light settings into layout? Are people rendering movie clips in Vue then rotoscoping or compositing over that? I'd like to know how it fits in the creative pipeline. Also how stable is Vue? It appears to me similar at least in purpose anyway to Bryce.. sorry no intent to offend here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausto
    ...It appears to me similar at least in purpose anyway to Bryce.. sorry no intent to offend here.
    Similar in purpose but not in power & functionality!

When I receive my copy of Vue I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it fairs. As a former Bryce user I know that Vue will be a godsend in the pipeline.

P.S. I live in Calgary, too! (Ordered my [9]/Vue upgrade bundle thru Unison Production Products)
    Last edited by Signal to Noise; 08-04-2005 at 08:10 AM.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Hey another Calgarian!

Thanks for the tip.

Did you notice that this canuck is charging another 40.00 bucks over the Newtek's costs? 395.00 works out to 479.00 CDN he's charging 521.00 CDN.
    Last edited by Fausto; 08-04-2005 at 08:37 AM.

I havent really used LW and Vue together yet - having too much fun using Vue by itself... To my mind, Vue is finally a true landscape renderer. It takes all the power of something like World Construction Set and Bryce, as well as some Lightwave, blends them together and serves them up as a brilliant work. While it can be used for a lot of other things, its one thing that it does very well is Landscapes. I've tried all the landscape makers out there, Mojo, Bryce, WCS, free ones like Terragen... nothing comes close to what this thing can do.

If you have any cash this deal is the best since the DF bundle. If you have any reservations about buying it, put them aside - this program really is worth it, even if you never use it for landscapes - you will use it for skies, clouds, use it for reflection or HDR maps if you have to stretch... use it as a superior GI / radiosity renderer for your LW objects... use it for its superior instancing engine.. but it really is worth it.

There is only one large flaw with Infinite. While it doesn't require a really top notch system ( I have used it well with a 2.2ghz 1GBram machine, Nvidia Geforce 2 card) it does need at least 1GB and the program has some stability issues. When rendering an animation, render out frames, not an AVI for example, because you will want to pick up where it leaves off when it crashes. Yes, I said "when". Though to be honest, I rendered a 20,000 frame animation on a 2GB ram system, and it would only crash evey few DAYS - it appears to me some .dll or portion of the program has a very slow memory leak that builds up over time - the crash was *always* memory related. My scene had 2 MILLION polys (hardly breaking a sweat for Vue, I might add - it starts to complain on a 2GB ram system when you hit 2 BILLION polys - no, that's not a typo)
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

A cute thing in Vue Infinite - render is F9, render animation is F10.

OK... I forgot to mention. I do have one larger gripe about Vue. The interface for animation and for moving the camera is fairly bad. Lightwave's interface is sooooooo much better in these two areas.

VUE and LW

Anyone try doing the oppsite bringing in a view scape into LW?
    Do the texture maps and such come with it?
    CJadams
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble makers. The round heads in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. You can quote them. Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Fausto
    Did you notice that this canuck is charging another 40.00 bucks over the Newtek's costs? 395.00 works out to 479.00 CDN he's charging 521.00 CDN.
    Yeah but don't forget that there is likely customs fees and stuff that need to be covered. And all of his prices include shipping. So whether you order thru the States (which NewTek informed me I couldn't do directly from them) or here the price will likely work out to be the same. When I ordered my LW 7.5 & DFX bundle deal a couple of years ago I did it through DMG Publishing in the States. When I received the package I ended up having to pay an additional $200 in customs fees! In the end I didn't save anything by ordering thru the US but I did get a free one subscription to Keyframe (r.i.p.)
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Vue does export LW objects, and says that it also converts the textures... but I haven't once been able to actually do a complete conversion. Must just be my own incompetence.

It wil export individual objects, and the landmass object. It won't export ecosystems... an ecosystem export would likely crash LW anyway (it would crash any other 3D software as well; Vue is the only software that I've seen which can handle BILLIONS of polygons through instancing)

Quote Originally Posted by beverins
    It won't export ecosystems... an ecosystem export would likely crash LW anyway (it would crash any other 3D software as well; Vue is the only software that I've seen which can handle BILLIONS of polygons through instancing)
    I'm wondering if this would be a problem with the 64bit version of LW with 8gb or more ram?

Cool

Maybe when e-on try out the 64bit version, and some programmer goes "hey, let's try"... History could be made. heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by stargatesg1
    Anyone try doing the oppsite bringing in a view scape into LW?
    Do the texture maps and such come with it?
    CJadams
    What I have tried is take a landscape into Vue texture it then bring it back and well the results are err....... ok but the big seller is the Eco System and it will not work with Lightwave.

I did not have that much time with it to be honest (I was on a friends PC). So I may be wrong but it depends what you want to do the work I'm doing is trying to match landscapes within 5 m at present for some in house stuff and to be honest the biggest assets I've found is Lightwave the texture editor, a scanner and currenntly working on a way of working with HD Instance which will cut down on render times in a major way (also discovered some quick ways of slowing renders down very quickly as well with HD as well! )

[note:- HD Instance needed to create 1000's of trees in the correct places!]

The thing I'm looking forward to most is Ngons because with them all my prayers will be answered with regards to working and manipulating landscape work.

Don't get me wrong Vue is nice.............. **** I started with Bryce 4 and still love it's skys, but if you want a 1km x 1km landscape to be acurate to within 5 m Vue ain't the tool for the job.

And before anyone says DEM's I'm in the UK and if you can get hold of that type of data from OS for less than the price of a new car and good work station I'm all ears!
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badllarma
    Don't get me wrong Vue is nice.............. **** I started with Bryce 4 and still love it's skys, but if you want a 1km x 1km landscape to be acurate to within 5 m Vue ain't the tool for the job.

And before anyone says DEM's I'm in the UK and if you can get hold of that type of data from OS for less than the price of a new car and good work station I'm all ears!
    I'm sure you've checked out here
    www.getmapping.com
    but you can get any 1km x1km UK tile at 5m sampling for £75 plus vat.

If you do go that way be sure to get the data as ASCII xyz, to save yourself a lot of problems trying to import the nasty ntf format which is nothing but trouble - although thanks to the nice MicroDEM developer I think it is now possible at least.

I'm actually doing a 25kmx25km landscape as part of a local authourity project right now (their DTMs), although I'm only keeping the important 1km x2km part at 5m res. and I have been wondering how Vue would manage with the whole lot at that detail level, and if it would be a better option in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinSmith
    I'm sure you've checked out here
    www.getmapping.com
    but you can get any 1km x1km UK tile at 5m sampling for £75 plus vat.

If you do go that way be sure to get the data as ASCII xyz, to save yourself a lot of problems trying to import the nasty ntf format which is nothing but trouble - although thanks to the nice MicroDEM developer I think it is now possible at least.

I'm actually doing a 25kmx25km landscape as part of a local authourity project right now (their DTMs), although I'm only keeping the important 1km x2km part at 5m res. and I have been wondering how Vue would manage with the whole lot at that detail level, and if it would be a better option in this case.
    I had missed that one Colin (thought OS had everything covered) I'll be having a good look would save alot of work.
    Will modeler read the ACSII file or how would I get it in? plugin?

cheers for any info, as usual you learn something every day on these groups.
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

Newbie Member
    No worries, my past month has been full of digging through all these options so I know what it's like.

My route at the moment is to get the DTM in XYZ format, open it in Global Mapper, a pretty nice low cost GIS program, and export a DXF face mesh from there to work up in Modeler. You can also choose to resample the data to 10m or 25m (for example) in Global Mapper too, for background terrain say.

Another route that would work now would be to use MicroDem which does much the same kind of work but is a free download. As a bonus the developer updated it to open the OS ntf files as well after I contacted him.

Either way you'll get a mesh you can open in Modeler and tweak. For me I'm exporting tiles in 5m, 10m and 25m resolution, depending how near they are to the camera and then patching the joints up in Modeler so there's no seams.

I have one other thing still to experiment with, and that's saving the meshes as a standard US DEM and then using the LW DEM loader plugin to optimise the mesh when it loads. Might cut down the poly counts quite a bit on a big landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I'm wondering if this would be a problem with the 64bit version of LW with 8gb or more ram?
    I don't think it's a memory issue, just programming.
    it would work if they could add a plugin inside LW that would render all those trees.

I think it's kind of like HD_instance, where you can create scene with billions of polygons too and doesn't require memory.

when I get vue5 , I will export tree and stuff in LW,
    OR I will render a tree pass in Vue 5 and all the regular stuff in LW and add them together..
    Last edited by JML; 08-05-2005 at 07:37 AM.