Thread: Organic Compositing

Organic Compositing

I'm trying to bring together a live-action shot with a LW 3D object. I've got a couple people who are supposed to be pulling said object, but they don't have an even pull; it kind of bounces. Is there a way to rotoscope this? I haven't figured out how to bring a HD video into the camera view. I am hoping that I can match up the motion of the pulling with the object they're supposed to be pulling.
    Thanks for your advice and assistance.

Not sure what you mean by "it kind of bounces" do you mean one of the talent is pulling while the other is not and visa versa?

If so sounds like a compositing job to me basically treat each indrvidual as a seperate enterty then comp them together and you should be able to re time them together then.

So duplicate your footage mask out one for one piece and the other for the other.... hope you get my meaning.

Had to do something simlars resently where two talent were filmed on poor green screen then comped in front of a miniture/CG back groundthe only thing was they wanted the talent about 6 feet a part where on set there was just about a foot between them DFX come to the rescue though
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

[QUOTE=badllarma]Not sure what you mean by "it kind of bounces" do you mean one of the talent is pulling while the other is not and visa versa?

Yes, kind of. I have two people pulling chains. They are supposed to be pulling a house behind them. I've got the talent pulling a wooden pallet and I wish to composite a house over that. Each step they take is, welll, it's a step and not as even as a computer would make things. I need to keyframe the house as it follows them. I can't simply use a pic of the house, as it wouldn't change perspective as it crossed the camera line.
    So I'd like to bring in my footage of my couple pulling the pallet, lay that in as a background and animate my house over time to the rhythm of them pulling the house.
    Does this make sense? If not, I can put up a WMV of my rough cut of the spot.
    Thanks again for the help.

If you can get the footage into the PC render it off in your Video editing package as a set of stills then

Image Editor > load

(there was a bug a while ago that you needed lightwaves time line set to the number (length ) of the animation BEFORE you bring in the same number of images via Image editor BTW). E.G if you bring in a animation 180 frames long and the time line is set to 60 the next bit will not work.

Ctrl + F7
    Back ground image {load image}
    choose the image sequence and your away

Set your camera res to match your res of the Hi Def and start with the key
    framing!

Two things if you render out standard images your work will include the back ground AND may be a ***** to comp later so your best rendering out in one of the 32 bit formats then recomping your scene in After Effects DFX etc..... With the talent background.

Also it's the lighting that will sell the shot as you no dout know so take your time with it.

all the best
    andy
    Last edited by badllarma; 08-04-2005 at 02:00 AM.
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

Use Camera View Background

I use Camera View Background quite a bit for rotoscoping. It may not be the best way, but it works for me.

1) Press CTRL-F7 to bring up the Compositing tab
    2) For "Background Image", use the pulldown to load the image sequence, WMV or animation.
    3) Press "d" to bring up the display options
    4) Toward the bottom of the page, select "Camera View Background" as Background Image
    5) Press "C" to select the Camera View

You'll see the sequence as the background to the camera view, and can rotoscope in the house movement. You can get the frame count for the animation from the Image Editor (shortcut F6).

mTp

By golly, that worked. Thanks VERY much.