Thread: EMERGNCY FEATURE REQUEST for LW9!!

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar

EMERGNCY FEATURE REQUEST for LW9!!

Can we get a RED box this time??? (Not Orange like 6, REALLY red. Think 255 0 0 red)?

And on a somewhat more serious note: Objects that emit a light that is a different color from the object?

i.e. the white blade of a light saber emmitting a green glow? If there is an easy way to do this in LW, I surely haven't found it yet.

Verlon

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon
    i.e. the white blade of a light saber emmitting a green glow? If there is an easy way to do this in LW, I surely haven't found it yet.

Verlon
    Don't use oversaturated colors (ie. 000,000,255).

pfft, that was for the box.

for the lightsaber, I would not be so extreme..... 000 000 254.99999 say.

No seriously, I just haven't found a way to have a white blade with a green glow without compositing. I have read in other places how it can't be done, so I thought I would ask.

I know other software packages (Imagine, trueSpace) would allow this trick, but I have since moved past those packages and am generally quite happy with lightwave (except for the lack of a red box...oh, woe is me....)

Haven't tried this, but can't you model the blade seperate to the handle, parent them in layout; parent a green linear light inside the blade; turn off all shadow options for the blade; surface the blade as you would normally ( including glow). This way you would have shadows cast by the saber light but not have the blade obstruction the light itself.

Or have a duplicate blade that's green and unseen by camera if you're using radiosity - or use Corona to apply a green glow - or color the blade light green and crank up the luminosity until the center turns white -
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

hmmm the corona trick might work. I have not found a setting where I could use light green and crank the intensity all the way to "Ludicrous Speed."

I guess it might work if you scaled everything up so big that squared falloff would not allow the intense light to flood the image, but in normal scaling I seem to get a green tint on the entire image (a la The Matrix) WAY before the blade goes white.

Verlon

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    :agree:
    I agree with Toby. Glow does not respond to settings like luminosity / diffuse. So if you give it a colour of of something like: <100,255,100> the glow will be this colour - greenish.

But by setting luminous to 300% it will go to <300,765,300>, which will clip to <255,255,255>.

Which is white!

Not tried it, but it sounds good...

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

The Old Glow feature in LW works just fine for things like lightsabers, here's some quick examples.

Surface Settings:
    Color | R:255 G:30 B:30 (If you use settings like 255,0,0 it's not working)
    Luminosity | 900% (to get the white bright light)
    Glow intensity | 100% (to make it glow)

Glow settings:
    Glow intensity |10%
    Glow size | 20 ( depends on resolution)

Hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great Ztreem! Just add an intensity envelope for fluctuations in energy and it's an animated Lightsaber. Thanks for the tip!

Holy crap....I've been fighting with this and its that easy?

Grrr.....better late than never to learn I guess. Thanks a million.

Verlon

Can I get that in Noble Jedi Green? How about Kool Kat Windu Purple? or Angst Riddled Jedi Brat Blue?

You're all welcome, glad I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by archiea
    Can I get that in Noble Jedi Green? How about Kool Kat Windu Purple? or Angst Riddled Jedi Brat Blue?
    Offcourse!

Same setting as before just a change in the color.

May the Force be with you!
    Attached Images Attached Images