Thread: Lightmap tool for LightWave?

Newbie Member

Question Lightmap tool for LightWave?

Hi,

Does somebody know a free lightmap tool? I've created a (large) *.LWO file and now I want to generate a lightmap for it (one lightsource, the sun). The result should be a grayscaled image or something.

I'm using Lightwave 7, but I couldn't find a tool for that in the program itself.

Greetings

I believe you are looking for the job of "baking" lightmaps. That is what it is called in Lightwave. I haven't done much baking stuff, but I can lead you into reading the manual and looking for tutorials on the internet. I think one of Lightwave's own tutorials here on this website explains how to do it.

Newbie Member
    Never heard of it by I started reading about them and I think you're right (thanks!), although I haven't been able to create a proper lightmap so far...

This is what I do:
    1- Create a scene (I made some boxes and a flat underground for testing)
    2- Make an UV map. I simple made one map but creating an top view UV map
    of the entire scene.
    3- Make a surface with that UV map for the objects and add a 'Surface Baker' shader.
    4- In properties of that shader, I did this:
    enable illumination, disable color and diffuse
    attach to the UV map
    enable continuous map
    output as a 512*512 TGA image file
    bake the entire object
    5- I saved the object and opened LightWave renderer application
    6- I put on raytrace shadows in the render options and choose to render only 1 frame.
    7- There was 1 lightsource, I placed it somewhere above the object so that most of it was visible.
    8- I rendered the scene and I got a 'lightmap' image file.

The output image file of the baker was indeed a gray-scaled value but it was if the lightposition was on a different place. Most of the object was gray/black instead of litten. I moved the camera and lightsource around but still a dark image. The lightsource was a distant light, radiosity enabled (monte carlo) and a white color. I also tried back-drop only but no result.

Does somebody know what I'm doing wrong? Or could somebody point me to a tutorial about making lightmaps. I saw the one with the 'arches' but maybe there are more?

Greetings
    BTW, I'm sorry if I can't reply, my internet connection is probably down for 2 weeks soon

You should be using the Atlas method to make the UV map, and don't worry if it looks jumbled, you'll be using the same uv to apply the baked image.

When you bake, set the output image to a 24 bit image (no alpha), because the alpha is never more than a wireframe -

Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Newbie Member
    Atlas, Baker... although I'm using Lightwave for a while now, I still have to learn all those weird names I shall look into it, thanks for helping!

Greetings,
    Rick

I`m sorry for a lil bit off-topic, but I think my problem can be solved in this topic too.
    Can somebody please advice me on how to convert object illumination (single light source - sun) into a weight map ?
    Original WR tools & Lightwave gallery at:
    http://krom.rscsites.org/

I don't know if that can be done -
    Confirmed -

Make a UV map for your object.
    Use this UV map to surface bake an image from it, with Illumination being checked in surface baker.
    Go into modeler and use the Map>Color>Textured Point to apply this image using the UV map and choose Weightmap as the Vmap type for it. It'll use the brightness of the image map to determine the weight values of the object.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

very cool
    Confirmed -

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy
    Make a UV map for your object.
    Use this UV map to surface bake an image from it, with Illumination being checked in surface baker.
    Go into modeler and use the Map>Color>Textured Point to apply this image using the UV map and choose Weightmap as the Vmap type for it. It'll use the brightness of the image map to determine the weight values of the object.
    It worked just fine ! Thank you very much
    Original WR tools & Lightwave gallery at:
    http://krom.rscsites.org/