Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Render Farm

Render Farm

Hello all,
    I am looking to build a 20-30 computer render farm, does anybody have any good resources concerning this? Can anybody suggest a Network Render Program? It will be PC based. Currently using Lightwave 8.3

Thank you all,

DC

Check out mule I have not used it myself. But I here it makes network rendering a breeze with little or no setup for the files.

http://www.epicsoft.net/products/mule/

I use Butterfly Net Renderer as my render farm manager. With the addition of the renderme3.p plugin, it allows users using the farm to remotely send the files directly to the farm, and check on the results and que. Very easy to setup and keep updated. Support is awesome. It can also be setup to work with more than just LW as well.

Hoop
    www.mean3d.com

"Problems worthy of attack, prove their worth by hitting back." -- Piet Hein

I have used Smedge from Überware. Very easy to set up and it can controll almost every software out there.
    3DGrafikvonBehr
    Sys: 2x Mac Pro, 8x 2.8 Ghz, GeForce 8800 GT, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Vista Business 64

Brain dead, but here...

Renderfarm Commander...

I use Renderfarm Commander. It makes rendering on multiple machines completely idiot proof. Mind you, it's for the Mac, but has recently implemented the control of PC machines. The nice thing about it is that you tell it where everything is (preferences and the content directory) and it builds the LSWN command files directly for you. You start your nodes and then get RfC to load the scene, hit go, and presto... your rock'n.

BTW, you don't need a powerhouse mac to do it either, just enough to run the program to control the nodes.
    Cheers!
    Arlen
    ----------------------------------
    Fabmedia Studios
    print, interactive, & motion media design

My Blog

I'm a great fan of Butterfly Net, its a very robust program, and the price is reasonable. Fairly easy to set up too... though if problems do arise it can be somewhat tricky to troubleshoot since its error messages aren't the most forthcoming. Its pretty **** hard to crash this system though, and believe me I've tried.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    I've been using the (now) free Spider for the past five or six years.

I adivse you to set-up one or two machines for practice (whatever controller you intend to use) and then the other ones. We also run LW from our server, which makes upgrades a breeze.
    Right now I can set-up a render node in about 30 minutes, including the OS installation (which takes up 29 of those 30 minutes ).

Cheers,
    Mike

Sounds like no ones using Screamernet. Are these other programs that much easier?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Black
    Sounds like no ones using Screamernet. Are these other programs that much easier?
    Jeff
    Absolutely. Especially since using the native screamernet you'd have to start the remote nodes manually, and you can't change content directories easily...

Cheers,
    Mike

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    How do these people write screamernet controllers? It's something I've been thinking about and I was just wondering if there's any information on how to control it.

Well, there are basically two ways to control lwsn:

lwsn -3 which is a batch command line rendering mode. Spider uses that for example.
    In this case just type in lwsn in your shell (PC, right?) in the lw/programs directory and have a look at the options.

The other method is lwsn -2, which starts lwsn and it will then expect certain files to communicate with the controller. Through these files the controller sends commands to lwsn (like change content, load scene, render frame) while lwsn will send back status messages.

I actually don't have the exact documentation on that the contents of those files should be... I think is was part of the SDK ages ago and probably communicated on the plugins mailing list.

Cheers,
    Mike

I am Jack's cold sweat Karmacop's Avatar
    Great, thanks for your help. At least I know where to start now

Mule sounds great.. but if you have a mac render farm...

I have a PC, just to make sure that my Battlefield 2 skills doesn't waste. Can that be used to run the mac render farm?

I have looked into MULE and sorts great suggestion!.. any hardware suggestions? for example....how to build the array? or OS setup? or Do they all have to have keyboards and OS to boot? I guess these are other major questions still pending. Thank you all so far for your input!

We use Muster, it's available both for Mac and PC and can manage pretty much everything...
    http://www.vvertex.com

I also found this one, Deadline, from FranticFilms, which looks very promosing, but never tried it...
    http://software.franticfilms.com/ind...?page=deadline
    Last edited by Red_Oddity; 08-05-2005 at 04:08 AM.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast