Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave rendering engine

Lightwave rendering engine

hi, I'm David Rossmann from Stack Studios.
    I'm Lightwave user since 1995. I relized about 1000 projects and 4 hours architectural animation. Our clients are Zaha Hadid, Daniel Libeskind, Arata Isozaki, UN, Pirelli, Fiat, DeBeers, and many others.
    Lightwave is a fantastic program, easy to use, high rendering quality, stable...
    But now you can reach lghtwaves quality with many, many different rendering engines at 1/5 of the rendering time. In my company we are 3 Lightwave users, and a total of 180 3Ghz CPU's.
    That means 60 Cpu per user? yes.
    Why?
    Because lightwave's rendering engine is slow and we have almost 6 to 16 hours frames. This is to much for a PAL frame.

The rendering engine needs to be revrited completly or Lightwave will disappear. The rendering engine of lightwave is almost the same since 1996.

Best regards

www.stack-studios.com
    www.arkadin.biz
    www.animax.it/works

You should be clearer in what you post. It took me several reads and some digging to actually figure out what you are advertising.
    Last edited by mattclary; 07-21-2005 at 05:25 AM.

= : >--[: ]===
    Quote Originally Posted by mattclary
    You should be clearer in what you post. It took me several reads and some digging to actually figure out what you are advertising.

I think it is VERY clear what he is talking about. And because this is his first post after 10 yrs using LW, I do NOT think he is here for advertising. I'd rather see someone complaining about LW with a 1000 projects record and a lot of references, then someone with a 2672 post record and NO references...
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!

Hopefully in about 2 weeks will found out what's next for Lightwave 3D. Maybe Newtek will improve render, now they hired that guy from Electric Image, and maybe will get the most expected openSDK so will have Fprime and Kray and maybe some other great renders working for Lightwave too.

Kurtis said that all will be revealed at Siggraph so hopefully, now that Luxology will come forward showing to the users what they have in mind, maybe Newtek will show some kind of a roadmap, so will know what to expect in the future, it is time to do that, they have a good team, stable, so they will have to give a sneak peak of what's next, so users will keep faith in a much better product to come.

that's a very impressive collection of websites and firms daros. congratulations

agreed that 6 hrs a frame is entirely too much. with that much talent, surely you guys have figured out ways to reduce that time. passes, light set-ups, baking, etc etc.

agreed as well that the renderer needs speed improvements. i suspect it's coming, let's hope it arrives w/o sacrificing that special "lightwaveness" to the renders that does seperate them from the crowd.
    We are pirates, we are artists...

Blog

Someone from Newtek (Chuck?) did post a while back that the renderer was being worked on. So maybe this Siggraph we will see the fruits of their labour.

Edit: Daros, you have a great portfolio. Very nice work.
    Last edited by digital verve; 07-21-2005 at 10:27 AM.

improving the rendering engine would be good of course, but I think a lot comes from scene optimization from the user too..

Quote Originally Posted by trick
    I do NOT think he is here for advertising.
    http://www.arkadin.biz/

Then you should look here and ask yourself what "Remote Matador" is and who is making money from it.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar

Then you should look here and ask yourself what "Remote Matador" is and who is making money from it.
    So, that would mean that everyone who has a sig pointing to a (possibly) commercial service or tool is advertising? Do you also imply that is the only reason commercial users post here?
    In that sense, every freelancer showing his work is advertising as well.

I don't really see any advertising in daros' post, I do however see that he and his company have done a lot of work using LW and developed for it as well. Heck, I didn't know Matador got that far in the past few years, very cool. Still not advertising though.

Cheers,
    Mike - who ain't changin' his sig

I guess I should have just said, "Thanks for pointing out the obvious". Yeah, it's slow, thanks for cluing Newtek in, I don't think they or anyone else here knew that.

yeah, it looks like advertising to me too.

the thing I don't understand, why is it supposed to be a super fast rendering engine when it's powered by maxwell render ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    So, that would mean that everyone who has a sig pointing to a (possibly) commercial service or tool is advertising? Do you also imply that is the only reason commercial users post here?
    In that sense, every freelancer showing his work is advertising as well.

I don't really see any advertising in daros' post, I do however see that he and his company have done a lot of work using LW and developed for it as well. Heck, I didn't know Matador got that far in the past few years, very cool. Still not advertising though.

Cheers,
    Mike - who ain't changin' his sig
    I have absolutely no problem with anyone who advertises here concerning LightWave or 3D related things. I just get irritated when it's thinly veiled as something else. Maybe the guy isn't advertising, in which case see my last post.

= : >--[: ]===
    ...Then you should look here and ask yourself what "Remote Matador" is and who is making money from it.
    Don't you think it would be a better strategic move to put a more clear advertisement under the "third party" section, instead of telling people:

"hééy, you guys with that awfully slow render engine, just click on the following links, read all about it and you will find a huge renderfarm which can help you LW-fanatics keep using your favorite software for the next couple of years..."

People should not try moderating posts if they are not moderators !!!
    Last edited by trick; 07-21-2005 at 11:48 AM.
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trick
    Don't you think it would be a better strategic move to put a more clear advertisement under the "third party" section, instead of telling people:

"hééy, you guys with that awfully slow render engine, just click on the following links, read all about it and you will find a huge renderfarm which can help you LW-fanatics keep using your favorite software for the next couple of years..."

People should not try moderating posts if they are not moderators !!!
    THUS my response. I'm chalking it up to his not being a native English speaker.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast