Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscape with 30,000 trees

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar

Landscape with 30,000 trees

Here's a landscape I'm doing for putting my cars through the paces. Any comments/suggestions are always welcome This is a small version as the full landscape is lots bigger and has some 90,000 trees in it hehehe. I need more ram.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's a lotta trees! I think it looks really awesome in the background, but maybe not as good in the front. The image maps are too obvious, IMO. But, if you're just using the scene as background for some cars, then it probably doesn't matter!

What method did you use to scatter the tress about? It looks very "natural," for lack of better word. The hill in the distance could probably pass for a photo... if there was a sky, of course
    Digital Delight for Analog People
    www.DereksDigital.com

That looks really good. Did you do this all in LightWave or make use of something like Vue Infinite?

I did it all myself in lightwave. First I built the road and the I constructed the landscape extending polygons away from the road. After I had the whole landscape I used random pricks to "populate" areas with points. This was quite exhausting I had to do several passes and manually select areas of points so as to not have trees so uniformly spaced. Once I was happy I used point clone plus to fill it up with trees. I have versions of the trees with much higher geometry, but these, which are the lowest polygon count (6 poly's per tree) look quite good as long as the camera moves. Motion blur tends to make them less obvious. I'll post some movies as soon as I have some.

This is a much more distant shot to get some perspective of the landscape I built.

Very beautiful!

What kind of lighting setup are you using? It fits the overcast sky beautifully. Speaking of that, was the fog done in LW or is it done in post?

Digital Delight for Analog People
    www.DereksDigital.com

I have always wondered how to make trees. Any links to tutorials that you know of ?
    Why does nobody new to the industry use LW anymore?

My Gallery & Demo

HD_Instance

You should look into HD_Instance plug in. You can use a variety of
    large poly-count trees, it's quick and fun for the whole family!
    find website on flay.com

the trees are to uniform put some differant trees not all the same.
    Mac man Dual 2.0 G5
    3 gig ram
    9800 pro
    Lightwave 8.3

Captain! I'm given her full power! I don't know how much more she can handel! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Holy.. Someone's mad bored! :P
    Looks soo cool. I'm interested in those cars that you're gonna put in it.. Have any pictures that I can see?
    WWJD

Water 0wnz.

Here's an update at road level.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave
    I have always wondered how to make trees. Any links to tutorials that you know of ?
    Here's an example of a lo-poly tree, something from an old tut. 2 polys I think, but gives you the general idea.

Nice work by the way? Duid you use any random variation in size with Point Clone Plus?
    Last edited by riki; 02-01-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Just wonderful!!

Kuzey

Outstanding.
    Allen Bussell

The last two images you posted are really, really nice. The fog really makes it. What is your lighting rig for this scene?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast