Thread: Animated Background

Animated Background

Hello all,

Really great to see everyone sharing info on this site!!! Can anyone tell me how do you animate a background like you see on Fox News. You know, sometimes it may be colors changing and moving, other times it may be shapes that are transparent and changing colors. Is it all done in lightwave, or is photoshop incoporated some how? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Toshga

You could do it in LW, put a plane in the background stretched to fit the camera size, and use procedurals or image to texture it and animate those. You would probably render the foreground elements first though and composite the background later to make it easier to make adjustments.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Smile ... might be an alternative way.

I try to make those things normally at post, where I can use After Effects to make that kind of background and enhance my LW layers.

I believe it is usually faster that way, since LW render times are more costly than AE ones.
    It's not impossible, just unlikely.

John Fornasar
    If you want to use Lightwave, try the Textured Environment. For your background, try using Textured Environment (Backdrop, Add Environment). Hit the Texture button, set Layer Type to Procedural, Turbulence, give the texture some color, then click the E envelope buttons for position and rotation - throw a few keyframes in, and render... you'll have a start for the distant background, then you can add other effects to it (try a logo with a glass texture in front of the background, etc...

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I quite like doing this sort of stuff - it's very handy for things like DVD menu backdrops.

Texture environments are a good starting point - apply a nice gradient of colour to a texture, then move the texture origin directly towards or away from the camera - this adds nice shifts to the patterns. Personally I find IFW2 Shaders particularly handy for this sort of thing.

For some more snazzy effects I like to do the same sort of thing but apply the texture to a cone or tube, for 'tunnel of light' type effects.

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!