Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when is Lightwave going to be center of attention

Unhappy

blah blah Deleted.

Anyway,
    thanks for letting me blow steam
    later,
    Last edited by New2Lw; 05-29-2005 at 09:51 AM.

As far as I'm concerned, Lightwave is the center of attention (for me anyway).

Newbie Member
    Ya I have been getting the same feeling sometimes lately but if u go to CGtalk and look at the number of people in the software specific forums sometimes the Lightwave forum on CGTalk has more people that the Maya one. I notice that Softimage usaully has the lowest number.

I really think that there are still a great many still loyal to Lightwave. I have noticed some jumping ship for Maya and other programs but I am confident that with the next few versions of Lightwave we will see some much needed improvements especially to the render engine.

As far as I am concerned even if u need some better rigging tools get Messiah Animate for $300.00 it is a great complement to Lightwave and is way nicer to work with (in my opinion) than Maya any day. I am satisfied with the tools in Lightwave for now and I am still being patient to see what improvments will be made in the coming years.

I'd like to interject.

Apps like Maya and XSI are "open" in the sense they can be expanded in-house by using scripts and languages like Python. They also run on Unix platforms and allow heavy customization and a wide array of rendering options like Mental Ray, Renderman, or in-house shaders. Lightwave is an "out of the box" application. You don't hear of studios hiring top-gun of Lightwave Shader Programmers because there are none. Lightwave takes a different angle on fitting a studio's pipeline. With that said, there are things that are easily done in Lightwave that are far superior than doing it in other apps and thus just about every studio uses LW somewhere in the production process.

Basically, a studio may or may not use Maya, XSI, or 3ds Max. Rarely would you find a studio using two or more of the above in the same project. However, regardless of which one of those apps a studio uses they most likely also use LW. It really is that simple.

Regards,
    MarkH
    http://www.markholloway.com

Alot of studio's use multiple apps for different things, i'm pretty sure LW whas also used in the creation of Star Wars episode 3, even if it where only the creation of placeholder geometry.

We all know it whas rendered in maya, but LW is definatly used also in i believe, as said that alot of movies are created like that, using multiple apps.
    -----------------------------------------------
    A computer never makes a mistake, it's the human that does.

Beginning 3D Artist.
    Intermediate 2D Artist.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    Apps like Maya and XSI are "open" in the sense they can be expanded in-house by using scripts and languages like Python. They also run on Unix platforms and allow heavy customization and a wide array of rendering options like Mental Ray, Renderman, or in-house shaders. Lightwave is an "out of the box" application.
    Why does Lightwave 3D come with an SDK for creating your own add-ins as well as a built in language (LScript) then?

Quote Originally Posted by joeldberry
    Why does Lightwave 3D come with an SDK for creating your own add-ins as well as a built in language (LScript) then?
    MEL and the other scripting languages are cappable of doing more advanced things then LW's SDK IMO. Although the sdk is still powerfull.

Look at Fprime.

Beginning 3D Artist.
    Intermediate 2D Artist.

As I understand it, Maya is basically (as we know it) an interface built on top of MEL, right?

That means that the heart and soul of Maya IS the language.

Whereas with Lightwave, the LScript language is used to "command" the Lightwave application engine, and the SDK is just a closer/tighter way of commanding the Lightwave API/application engine.

Is this correct?

How does XSI work with its language?

I deleted my first post, if I could I would have delted the whole thread. Basically just said that I was feeling bumbed after reading a "what app is good for me to buy my son" and Lightwave was only mentioned in passing.

Actually, I've been avoiding coming back to this thread due to the fact I figured it was going to be a flame war. To my suprise it's not, I'm glad about that. Thanks guys for being professional.

In my mind, Maya got so much attention not due to the fact that they have a good piece of software but due to their massive marketing setup. They are advertised all over. Also, on the lightwave front, we do have a pretty extensive list of movies Lightwave helped create along with the help of other apps like Maya. A lot of the movies on Lightwaves list you can look up to see the same movie on some of the competitors lists. There are some movies where Maya was used exclusivly along with maybe in house proprietary software. I think there are very few movies lightwave can make that claim. Maybe, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Anyway, if I had waited ten more min I wouldn't have made this thread in the first place cause the bumbed outness would have passed and Lightwave would be again the best app imho

I agree on the marketing thing you said. There are bigger company's behind maya and max, then there is behind lightwave, and still LW is among the top 3d apps, i have to say thumbs up for NT!

Or am i wrong?NT is a small company compared to alias and discreet is it not?

IMO there's one thing no other app beats LW with, and that's the workflow and learning curve.

Beginning 3D Artist.
    Intermediate 2D Artist.

Quote Originally Posted by -NG-
    MEL and the other scripting languages are cappable of doing more advanced things then LW's SDK IMO. Although the sdk is still powerfull.

Look at Fprime.

Lscript is not the SDK.. and the SDK is not Lscript. I actually don't believe the premise that MEL can do more than lscript... or C for that matter.
    Doran A Jones - graphic artist

As for a good spread of looking to see what apps are out there and how they measure up.. take a look and see if you can get your hands on a copy of 3D World Mag, in the back they have been keeping up to date reviews of the software that is out there. Included is Lightwave... I still think that Lightwave is one of the better out of the box apps for the price and power its really really hard to beat..

Are we there yet ?
    Quote Originally Posted by New2Lw
    There are some movies where Maya was used exclusivly along with maybe in house proprietary software. I think there are very few movies lightwave can make that claim. Maybe, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?
    Probably not the best example. WOT were the lead FX house (by far) on Sky Captain, and as far as I know they are exclusively a Maya studio. I also know that Pixel Liberation front also did 88 shots (mainly of the British flying fortresses) using only XSI. I believe CafeFX did 80 shots for Sky Captain, but I'm not sure which ones.

A better Example would be the New BSG (BattleStar Galatica), Firefly and its up coming movie Serenity, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The Series). All of these from what i have read in articles and news reports state that they are using Lightwave.

Are we there yet ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksuit
    A better Example would be the New BSG (BattleStar Galatica), Firefly and its up coming movie Serenity, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The Series). All of these from what i have read in articles and news reports state that they are using Lightwave.
    Definately !!!
    I was trying to think of a better example. but had forgot all about BSG. Great story, superb CG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast