Thread: splinamate plugin- where can i edit the keyframes?

splinamate plugin- where can i edit the keyframes?

Hi

I am using the splinamate plugin for the first time.

Could someone tell me where the **** the keyframes are created to for this plugin in order for me to edit/delete/move them?

i move the spline control points at different points in the timeline and they animate accordingly, but no visible keyframes seem to be appearing on my timeline nor in the graph editor nor in the scene editor...I can't think where else they might be, but surely there must be a way of tweaking the animation?

also, is it possible to rotate the splinecontrol points? I have a reel of film that I'm unrolling in sort of a twisty rollercoaster-type shape, at some points i want to twist it around it's axis, but at the moment only seem to be able to get the points to move in position, not rotation...

Help!

Anna
    Last edited by 3dgirl; 05-25-2005 at 01:29 AM.

I would recommend using a free plugin called shift spline transform or FIs bezier bend over splinate. Both are much more powerful
    Check on flay.com

I agreee with Larry. Don't waste your time on the other.
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

thanks Larry!

the spline transform plugin sure looks great...only I'm feeling a little stupid, I'm obviously missing something major as I've been fiddling with it for about 2 hours and just can't seem to get it to affect my object! I've looked at the sample scenes and I seem to have all the same setting, though it's impossible to see what his first setting sbox was as that only comes up when you first add the spline object...however I've tried every possible combination of options and IT's just not working!!

what am i doing wrong?

Anna

As I recall it's best if you have your model completely in the + Z. I used the lope01 object that came with the plug. Load it layout, add the spline transform in the deformations tab open it and click add. I chose Anchor point count 4 and Distance of 3. Choose attach item and select lope01. Click ok. Now select the transform tab in the newly opened window and click set rest position. Not sure what that says but Click OK. Now set your time to frame 10 or whatever and select an anchor point and move and rotate it. (Something strange is going on and I'm not sure if it's just my machine or a result of the 8.3 patch but it doesn't update in real time.) After you move the anchor point scrub the timeline to see it move. Another cool feature is the fix length. Here you can have your object move alon the spline and deform to it. Heres an animation. I used it on the dolphin

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/upl.../14-850853.mpg
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

In the anchor point tab:
    The first thing you do is add the number of control nodes you want and how far apart you want them to be created. If you are using a weight map you can also assign it at that point.

After the control nodes are created move them to their proper starting positions.
    Select all the nodes and click on normalize. That will fix the spline into its proper starting position (so you dont have to model along a particular axis). You can also have more then one instance of SST applied.

In the Transform tab:
    Click on set rest position.

Also make sure that your subdivision order is set to LAST.

thank you both!! Turns out the only thing I was doing wrong was not setting the rest position! All works now, yay this plugin is awesome- wish I'd known about it sooner!!

PS hunter- can't seem to play your movie, maybe i don't have that codec...

Edit: maybe i'm asking to much of the plugin but i have a film strip that i'm animating sliding out from the reel using the "fix length" thing which works really well, except when it goes to the end of the animation the film strip looks a bit funny with the holes of the strip all stretched and merged into each other (i have subdivision set to last but no difference). When i don't use fix length (which i really do need to get the move i want) it looks fine. I guess this plugin is more designed for simple tube shapes, rather than more complex things...may have to do a rethink?
    Last edited by 3dgirl; 05-26-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod
    You can also have more then one instance of SST applied.
    Not to the same object. Correct?

Cheers
    Snos

Newbie Member
    That may have something to do with the placement of your nodes at the start. I've had problems like that in the past where I moved the first and last control point before/beyond the end of the geometry then reapplied the Rest. The other problem i've had is that if i have too many objects in the scene using the plugin or too many objects (never could tell what was the root of the probelm) it would crash lightwave when trying to reload the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap
    Not to the same object. Correct?

Cheers
    Snos
    Yes you can and also use weight maps.