Thread: old model, old mistakes....

I AM THE Action_Bob

old model, old mistakes....

Here is part of an old model that I had worked on a while back. I have circled a trasition from a "squarish" area to a more rounded cockput area for this vehicle. As you can see I have some crumpling in the transition that is subtle, but sometimes noticable when the objects gets rotated and the light shines across the surface. I have tried to go back and spline patch the areas that are troublesome, but I still seem to get the crumpled look. Anybody have any ideas on how I might fix this? I have tried smooth, spline patching and moving them by hand. I was wondering if anybody had any insight... Maybe there are some plugs out there that can take a better average and translate the points to smooth out the rough areas?

-Adrian
    Attached Images Attached Images

I AM THE Action_Bob
    did my attachment show up? I don't see it....

-Adrian

LW Watcher
    The attachment is there..!

Select the whole area (bit more than the ugly zone) and try to use the smmoth function. You should be able to smoothen it out, so that it is no more visible.

Cheers
    Thomas

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Personally, I'd take a leaf out of SplineGods book here.
    Select a "square" of points around the area giving you a headache, build a set of curves to conver that area and patch with the appropriate number of polys to match up with existing geometry. That will give you a nice clean curvature for the replacement geometry.
    Last edited by colkai; 04-13-2005 at 02:37 AM.
    Too old to die young.

I AM THE Action_Bob
    I appreciate the responses...

However, I have tried to smooth and also Spline patch the areas to no avail.... I am wondering if I just have too few polys in that area... No matter what I seem to do I still get an area that is kinda crumpled.... I have thought about just rebuilding the entire body structire from scratch with a better poly flow, but trying to avoid that.

-Adrian

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    looking at your model it seems that it is right at the only place there is a 7 point vertice...all your others are 6 point.
    I think that's your problem.
    But I could be wrong
    Last edited by prospector; 07-21-2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Ummm...hmmm....Yea, what Colkai said

I AM THE Action_Bob
    I appreciate the responses people.. I have tried these techniques and I find that that area is still causing problems. I think the root of the problem is that this is a trasitional area going from a more "squarish" profile to a rounded area and the poly flow is just not set properly as there is a bulging twist in this area.. Nothing I do seems to rectify it. I even went in and reverted the tri's to quads and rebuilt and repositioned the geometry - still get mediocre results... Oh well... I really think it is just the flow..

-Adrian

Just a thought, but this is how I might attack this problem. I would run Merge TrigonsX. (available at Flay) And then run Bandglue on selected rows to eliminate some geometry and subpatch this part. It just looks like to me that you have too many polys making it more difficult to smooth out these areas. You could also copy and paste this geometry into a new layer and then kill all polys and rebuild your geometry using quads only for subpatching. Bottom line – the less geometry, the easier it is to eliminate these crumpled areas.

Tim

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    good call - I would second this - there does seem to be an excess of geometry, which means that it will focus any errors in a small space. Less geometry would give a wider smoothing arc.
    Too old to die young.

I AM THE Action_Bob
    thanks for the replies, I will try this out and see what happens. Sounds like a good approach.

-Adrian

p.s. Hooray for Flay...