Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxx and Dell for LightWave

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boxx and Dell for LightWave

So I've specked out two *exact* systems for our next 3D workstation; one from Boxx and the other from Dell (I've looked at Alienware). For the same exact specs (listed below), Dell wants $5637 and Boxx wants $6869... OUCH!

So why is the Boxx $1232 more than the Dell for the same exact system? What is the benefit from the Boxx that's worth $1232 over the Dell? I know that Dell doesn't list their motherboard types in each of their systems, but I can't believe there's many MOBO options to choose from at this CPU config. Then again I may be wrong. Nonetheless, I've not had any MOBO issues with all the many Dells I owned thus far.

This isn't a "versus" post or about which is better. My facility is FULL of Dells, from workstations and notebooks and our render farm is completely Dell. I've heard great things about Boxx and don't doubt they're ability to perform, but why so much?

System specs:

Dual Xeon 3.6 @ 2MB Cache. 800 MHz FSB. 2 GB RAM. 250 GB SATA. Nvidia FX 4400 video. Both have 3 year warranty.

Note: This will ONLY be used for 3D... no video editing, compositing, etc. That's performed on other systems (the OSX machines actually).

I also have plenty of experience building my own computers (espeically during the Windows NT daze before Dell was what it is today) but building one would seem to cost about as much as a Dell anyway, minus the knowledge of what MOBO you're getting. But as mentioned, all my Dells haven't had MOBO issues anyway.

I'd hop onto the Boxx Bandwagon in a second... if I knew why I was paying $1232 more for the same system!

Any advise or insight?

Thanks,

You are paying $1232 more for the Boxx because of the name.

Buy the Dell.

well, dunno... I still have a dual AMD from Boxx... runs 24/24 365days / year... never had one single glitch... so who knows... ask Proton about it, he 's a big Boxx fan....

main reason is Dell Inc., sales hundreds of thousands computers a day. Just in the Small bus. department they sale $2.5 Million in profit in a single day [I use to work for Dell] They can afford to drop their cost on computers as they are still making around $3000 off that computer.

Boxx on the other hand is most likely only making around $2000 for their system as they only sale maybe a couple thousand a day if that. You are not paying for the Name just quality over quanity.

Dell manufactures 25,000 computers a day at one just one plant. That is just the business based computers which is 80% of all Dell computers sold. It is all done by Humans in the Austin Texas at that plant.

Boxx does not come close to that manufactureing number which by the way they are based out of Austin Texas as well.

Dell can get parts cheaper than any other computer company, they buy them when the truck arrives at their manufactering plants. The trucks from say Intel arrive 3 times a day, say market share for 1000 volume of processors is 0.19 cents each. Dell would say we will give you 0.16 cents each per 1000 volume.

Dell is a big company they can afford to spread the cost of their systems across different 'company' computers. [company as in small bus. home sales, government, educational, healthcare, reseller, et cetra] The cost is distributed to all customers and Dell in the end walks away with major profit per day.

Boxx on the other hand is a small company built on quality first before quanity. Their systems are built to last, and if you buy 2 or more computers they will be exactly the same if you choose the exact configurations.

Dell's computers are not [as stated above the buy in bult, the build so many computers that there is a high chance that even though you order 2 or more of the same configuration those 2 or more will have a chance of not having the exact hardware. [one reason why Dell does not list mobo goes in. Also depending on computer depends on what mobo you get. Harddrive, CDRW, DVDRW, Vid Cards are usually standard across the board. Everything else is made specific for Dell depending on computer design. As the Optiplex GX 260 will have a different mobo than an Optiplex GX 280, and the Dimension XPS will ave a different one compared to the other Dimensions. Each Class of is different they come preassymbled to lock into the case].
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

I would say buy the dell too.

(or buid it yourself, I got a dual 3.2ghz with 1gb a few weeks ago for 1700$)
    (video card not included)

Important :
    price of single xeon 3.2 is about 400$
    price of single xeon 3.6 is about 700$
    a difference of 400Mhz worth 300$ ? hell no.
    dual 3.2 vs dual 3.6 , 600$ difference... faster, yes , but not
    worth 600$ I think..

for workstation I would not get it from boxx.

but I would get a renderboxx from boxx for sure, those things are amazing..
    (and good price/speed ratio I think)

I'm a happy Boxx user (1 3DBoxx R2 workstation and 3 Renderboxx's). Everything is 2 - 3 years old and there have been no problems at all.

I didn't pay for these machines out of my pocket, but if I was going to get a new workstation for myself at home ... I'd seriously consider Boxx.

Plus, each time the Boxx was delivered, I got a cool t-shirt with a great logo.

Newbie Member

BOXX configuration $384 Cheaper than Dell

Hi everyone!

Very interesting thread going on here...so out of curiosity I went to Dell and BOXX websites and configured the system specs that Marco posted and the BOXX was $384 cheaper than the Dell.

BOXX: $6168.00
    http://www.boxxtech.com/products/cf_...&Key=557361499

Dell: $6552.00
    You'll have to reconfigure the system (and be sure the add a second processor) because Dell won't let you view the quote URL, it reverts back to the suggested model
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...c=670rec&s=bsd

Kelly Dove
    BOXX PR

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Dove
    Very interesting thread going on here...so out of curiosity I went to Dell and BOXX websites and configured the system specs that Marco posted and the BOXX was $384 cheaper than the Dell.
    I don't know how you're getting those numbers. I just went to the Dell link you supplied, entered in the processors, RAM, HDD, display card, etc., and it still comes out to only $5637. Are you removing the MS Office stuff it puts on as default and applying the -$400 instant savings? It's a radio button just below the display card options. Those two combined take off about $725.

Glad to see a Boxx rep chime in though! Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Yeah, I didn't think that was right...

I priced it and I get 6,178 from dell web site
    (and 6,168 for boxx)

if I would have to choose between the two, I would get the boxx for sure !

if you want to get the price right on the dell page, don't forget to add the 2 dual xeon 3.6 , the graphic card 4400 , the 2gb of ram (2 dimms) and the 250GB sata drive.

Newbie Member
    Dell Configuration
    Entered through the Large Enterprise Portal on the Dell home page
    Base Price: $1832.00
    Dell Precision Workstation 670Config:
    Intel® Xeon™ Processor 3.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache [add $850]
    2nd processor
    Intel® Xeon™ Processor 3.60GHz, 2MB L2 cache [add $1,199]
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media
    Memory:
    2GB, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, 400MHz, ECC (2 DIMMS) [add $800]
    Hard Drive Configuration:
    C1- All SATA drives, Non-RAID, 1 drive total configuration
    Hard Drive
    250GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with DataBurst Cache™ without RAID [add $190]
    Graphics Card
    512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 4400, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA [add $1,600]
    Monitor
    No Monitor Option [subtract $169]

This includes the cheapest mouse and CD-ROM drive available

PRICE: $6302.00

If you do this same configuration in the Small Business section, you do indeed get a price of $5778 (I failed to take off the Microsoft Office and the $400 rebate).

Depending on which portal you enter at the Dell web site, you can get different prices for the exact same configuration. You won't experience that on the BOXX site. If you take the $390 difference between BOXX and Dell in the above config. and break it out over 18 months, it works out to 71 cents a day more to own a BOXX that is built and certified for the most popular DCC software, with a track record that is unmatched in the industry and a team of dedicated support professionals that are highly knowledgeable of DCC software and hardware.

Right now, BOXX has a great promotion going--the Ultimate Swag Bag Promotion that is running April 12-22. We have many partners that have joined BOXX to give back to the community during NAB in a way that has never been done before. If you add the value of the Swag that comes with a system purchased online during this time, you are adding anywhere from $500 to $13,000 in extras that are specific to DCC. Newtek joined in the promotion with LightWave. You can see the details at:

http://www.boxxtech.com/promotions/nab.asp

See what you think...

Newbie Member
    Okay, our marketing director said to put this out there...

THE FIRST person to buy that exact configuration online today (April 15) at BOXX before 6:00 pm CST gets a FREE 4300 workstation.

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/4300.asp

= : >--[: ]===
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Dove
    Hi everyone!

Kelly Dove
    BOXX PR
    AGAIN: there is a whole world of difference between the Dell price from the website and a quote from a sales Rep. If I lived in US I really may be attracted by the BOXX's, but here in Europe a precision is far more attractive in price and support: in the last 3 years I had 3 issues which required some attention and they were all solved within 24 hours onsite. Is BOXX doing onsite repairs ? (Don't tell me they don't need repairs, because that is the most repulsive salespitch I know...).

There is one thing you just must not do when you buy Dell: don't put dual Xeon's, a top QuadroFX and some 10/15k rpm U320 Scsi disks in one case: that will surely give problems. Always get an external SCSI case. This may be better with the components BOXX chooses, but because of the heat issues from these components, system life will ALWAYS degrade, even with the best cooling hardware available !!!
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!

One side say this the other that.

I have some relative and they have not such good experiences(na, quite the contrary) with DELL and support(Europe).

I build my own workstation and had never problems, and it runs...runs...runs...runs...and so on.

And it makes fun too to build the own System.
    mfg mouse_arts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast