Thread: INCREDIBLES DVD - animator's commentary about hole in cloth

Amused

INCREDIBLES DVD - animator's commentary about hole in cloth

I watched the movie and listened to the animators' commentary track. There's a couple of shots where the characters poke their hand through the hole torn into Mr. Incredible's blue suit. At one point one of the animators doing the commentary said that that was very difficult to do - put the character's hand through the hole. Why would that be so hard that it provoked that comment? Just curious.

TW
    Last edited by Tom Wood; 04-09-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Compartamentalized production

That's because the writing team-after arguing for a month-had to concieve of the idea of poking a hand through the cloth, then it went to the director who had to OK the poking of the hand through the cloth, then by way of a few other executives and then down to the animation crew, after the size of the whole was OK'd then it had to be created by the "hole" animation team then went back and forth between the "cloth" animation team and the technical directer, art director, clothing designer, lighting technician, lighting animators, lighting and hole plugin progammers and then back to the technical director and then down to the animation crew but Buck was sick that day so Hal - the guy making the comment-who was around for the whole "hole" episode while working on the "hand on the table" project was finally the one to sit down at the computer and using the plugin that took three computer technicians stayng up late for a month eating Dominos pizza and Diet Coke, simply placed the finger/hand - whatever, though the hole. But it didn't end there. Then after creating a test previs animation in wirreframe to be OK'd - that took a week going though the above described "efficient" production pipeline - and then back to his desk after a checklist of 50 or more "notes" on everything from finger position to it's relative angle to the cloth and the character, he was then alowed to hit the render button on a shaded "test". That test was then sent to the lighting department to be OK'd and then it was up to the lighting department to go through the hoops on getting a lighting set up approved and then again it was sent back to the animator to adjust a few frames because the cloth was blocking the light at one point. Three months later the entire crew sat in the screening room and watched it with the director who didn't like the "feel" of the shot so they had to do it all over again.

And that's the concise version.

Seriously though, actually, I haven't a clue . I've never worked in such a place. I'm just having fun.

It's a good question though. I have no idea why that would be so hard.

Mdust

I bought the movie about 2 weeks ago. I enjoyed it. However, it is just only one step from it becoming one of my favorites. I watched every thing that came with the DVD’s And the best part, I think, was the commentary track.

I think that this movie is worth every single cent that I paid for it. However, I will not hesitate to trade it for a different movie

Something else which is kinda odd about the DVD release...

Why did they change the 'Terminated' signs on Buddy's/Syndrome's computer with all the killed hero's and destroyed robots to just a red slash?
    Why do they muck about with movies for DVD releases? I thought the theatrical release was good enough, and it pretty much made sure you got the point...they're dead, terminated...or did they have to 'soften' it up again for the faint hearted?
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

I understand films are classified separately for the video release. When they are reviewed for the video, the classification board takes into account the fact that dvds/videos are more readily accessible to younger people, and so something which might have passed a low certificate in the theatre will not pass that same certificate on video, thus the film company sometimes makes minor cuts/changes to get that certificate. On the other hand it could be disney sticking it's oar in again!
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

It's unfortunate, but in my opinion movies that are changed by a studio after the fact do not represent the movie as the artists/creators had intended it in its original release.

Here's one for you.

I had ordered the Incredibles DVD from the Disney Store because I wanted the Limited Edition Lithograph Set they were including with the purchase. When I went to get it on the day of release, I was disheartened to find out that the Disney Store was only carrying the movie in Full Screen [pan and scan] and not the Widescreen version. I felt that this was misleading, as their posters in the store do not specify this. As a movie collector and collector of the Disney Lithographs, I wanted the Widescreen version. So, I had to return the lithographs in order to get a refund of the purchase.

It's funny, the Disney Store offered a lithograph set collectors would want, but did not offer the movie in the format that a collector would have wanted it

I know its thier choice of what and how they want to offer something, but I think they should have carried both formats, or have had a way for me to exchange the Full Screen one for the Widescreen and not have had to give up the lithograph set.

I've been meaning to call the Disney Store's Customer Relations Dept. about this,
    just to let them know I wasn't happy with the situatioin.

By the way, I have ALL of the Lithograph sets Disney has ever had with movie releases since they first did it with Laserdisc releases of the animated move classics.

Two points:

1) We too ordered from the Disney store and were surprised to find out it was only there in 4:3. However, they did not request the return of the lithographs for a refund!

2) Our DVD does NOT have red slashes, or whatever you're seeing there - it has the superheroes' pictures. (Are those crew members?)

3) Only disappointment was that the blooper reel wasn't 10 times as long, and that it was really just technical glitches.

Andrew

Nah, my DVD shows the heroes too, but with a red slash overlayed on the pictures, in the theatres those red slashes where a red bar with the word 'terminated' in white on it (like you see overlayed on the picture of Mr. Incredible himself.)

Witty remark goes here. TheDynamo's Avatar
    I think it matters as to where you purchased the DVD from. I bought my set from Costco and it comes complete with "Terminated" on the screen. My guess is that the edited DVDs are coming from WalMart or perhaps Target. It wouldn't be the first time that Wally World has ordered the studios to jump and they ask how high before releasing a movie.

-Dyn

On the Disney Store DVD [Full Screen only] all it says is "Family Friendly Format" on the slipcover. No other mention of any other changes to the movie. And I assume that meant "Family Friendly Format" related to the screen format.

FWIW:

We got our DVD (16:9) from Wal-Mart just a day or two after it came out and it does have "TERMINATED" on the red bar.
    Thanx,
    Matt

(I will come back to LightWave3D when the support Linux. Linux isn't going anywhere, guys. Time to accept it!)

Maybe it's the european release....i have always found european (and especially dutch) DVD releases to be mediocre or just bad...
    Even the special features on Pixar's so called 'Collectors Editions' have been dubbed in dutch, and do NOT offer the option of watching it in english...