Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Manuals

Lightwave Manuals

Hi

This subject has probably been discussed to death, although I can't find anything.

However, I am just about to take advantage of the competitive upgrade and wondered if anyone thinks it is worth going for the printed manual option?

I think I have read it is around 1500 pages long, but is it in colour or has anyone just printed it out themselves and actually saved any money, especially if it just black and white?

It is roughly around £50-60 in the UK, so just wanted to know if it is worth the extra outlay, I suppose it depends on how good it is?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tin Man
    Hi

This subject has probably been discussed to death, although I can't find anything.

However, I am just about to take advantage of the competitive upgrade and wondered if anyone thinks it is worth going for the printed manual option?

I think I have read it is around 1500 pages long, but is it in colour or has anyone just printed it out themselves and actually saved any money, especially if it just black and white?

It is roughly around £50-60 in the UK, so just wanted to know if it is worth the extra outlay, I suppose it depends on how good it is?

Thanks in advance.
    It's not in colored version i geuss, but it's way handy. I have the printed one(B&W) and i find it to be much better then the pdf manual, it's quite big yes but then again alot is explained in it.

You could print it out although i geuss that in the end buying the manual would be cheaper then buying a bunch of paper to print it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    A computer never makes a mistake, it's the human that does.

Beginning 3D Artist.
    Intermediate 2D Artist.

My experience

Personally I think it is nice to have a printed manual.

I tried printing the manual in BW and I can tell it is a hassle. It's massive even printed on both sides. The rements of the attempt is still in my drawer unfinihed. It was burning though way too much laser toner with all of those pictures. The cost of the toners is around $60 US and it would take about one to finish the job by my estimation. So instead I have been using the PDF version.

I have often thought about getting ahold of the printed version.

If I were buying now I'd opt for the printed version. Keep in mind though the PDF adendems with each new update. Those might be worth printing in color and sticking in a folder.

With all of that said I have been getting used to the PDF version as a handy tool on my "desktop" It's easy to search for info - actually a little faster than leafing though pages or an index.

There is also another freeware PDF reader out there that apparently does not steal so many sys rescources. When I find it I'll let you know.

Mdust
    Last edited by Mdust; 04-06-2005 at 03:32 PM.

My prinnted manual hasn't even made it out of the shrink wrap....help file is the path I take..

My prinnted manual hasn't even made it out of the shrink wrap
    Ah, send that sucker over here old man, I'll have the shrink wrap off in seconds

On a more serious note though, Doesn't the "full box version" with printed manuals also come with a tutorial manual that couldn't be given away in pdf form due to copyright issues with the publishers?
    Brent

Thumbs down

I have printed out much of the .pdf manual and I can tell you that the resolution of most of the screen grabs is terrible. You can't even read the settings in the input boxes. I'm really surprised a cg company like Newtek would consider this acceptable. My advice is don't bother printing it -- except maybe for an occasional chapter that you need to read up on while away from the computer.
    Bill C.
    Massapequa Park, NY USA

Proton:

You need a... manual?? Heck, I thought you WERE the manual.

Hehehe.

Does that mean u are shrink wrapped?
    Current system Specs:
    4gb ddr2 1066
    dual 9600 gt (512mb each) running SLI
    9600 black edition amd
    780a nvidia chipset
    XP Pro or XP Pro 64 or Windows 7

If you do decide to order the hardcopy manuals then I suggest one of two things:

1. Order a second binder. The manuals come with a single binder but with 1500 pages the manual barely fits.

-or-

2. Use a nifty binding method such as described here. Jevin's original pic seems to be MIA but you'll get the idea. This is a good way of protecting your investment.

I rarely refer to the hardcopy but it's still nice to have around, especially if I'm working on my laptop and don't want to cramp desktop space with the on-line reference.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

I heard the later manuals have been rebound, I saw a post someplace and the manual had a glued cover on it.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Personally, I would hope to be able to buy one at NAB.

Red face

Most of my printed LightWave manuals take up too much space on my bookshelves. The nicest thing about a PDF file is being able to hit CTRL-F and search for a specific word.

The manual's usually my last resort for learning LightWave, though. If I want to learn something, I'll stubbornly experiment with it, first. If I can't figure it out, I'll ask the nearest LightWaver. Failing that, I'll search the Web and forums. Or I'll wait until the next LightWave User's Group meeting to ask others in the group. If I still haven't found the answer to my question, I meekly crack open the PDF file and search for the answer in there.

I have learned a few things from the manual. I'm just too impatient to sit down and actually use it.
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Hi,

It's important to note that there are several differences between the US and European manuals:

1. The US manual comes in a binder, the Euro one is printed and perfect bound into a book
    2. The US one comes in at 1500 pages roughly, the Euro one is less than 1100, although it contains the same info.
    3. The Euro one is written in British English, where possible...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Thanks for everyones input.

Certainly differing opinions on this one. I am glad though the European One is a bound manual and not the binder, although I can see the advantage of the binder method for replacing and adding pages.

Still 1100 pages is still a hefty manual, and I suppose which each new update will be more new content to which the pdf manual would have the advantage, would have been nice at the price to have it in colour a well! Somebody also mentioned screenshots and the quality of them, is this in reference to the PDF or printed manual?

Guess I will have to think about whether I am comfortable enough referring to a screen for reading or a printed edition, although saving the money by not buying the printed manual could go towards the next upgrade

Thanks

The quality of the screenshots in the European manual is very good. They are a lot clearer that those in the 7 manual and probably exceed the quality of those in the 6 manual - not that you will have seen either!

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I got the electronic manual... and when i got my lightwave package i was shocked to find the manual on a CD for me. I expected the electronic version of the manual would have to be downloaded!

The piccies in it are clear as day, compared to version 7 they are perfect.

Mdust: i would love to know of that PDF reader that doesn't use so many resources... Adobe Acrobat is unbelievable with the amount it hogs!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast