Thread: Hard System Crashes while rendering OS X, LW 7.5

Hard System Crashes while rendering OS X, LW 7.5

Hey folks, I have been dealing with a rather frustrating problem for a while now and was wondering if one of you out there may have experienced the same thing, or know haw to deal with it.

It seems that I set my machine to render over night, and at a random undetermined point in my render my machine has a "White Window" crash(white dialog box with a message in multiple languages to restart my machine by pressing the reset button", and the screen seems to be slightly darkened, almost as if looking at one field of an interlaced image.

My config is:
    OS X.2.5
    LW 7.5
    Dual 800, 1 Gig RAM

If anyone has any ideas, clues, anything, it would be a great help. Thanks in advance!

self flagellating LW monk
    sounds like the new kernel panic screen. i have heard, but not seen, that this is what they look like these days.
    now all we need to do is figure out what is causing it

so it happens at night?
    are you on a LAN?
    using screamernet?
    exotic hardware installed?

does your system check for software updates automatically?
    does your system do anything at night, automatically?
    any distributed computing screensavers?

I'm shooting in the dark here, my guess is that during the render, something else that is ram/processor intensive starts up, and they both fight for control of the os, crashing it. This used to happen to me in os 9 when Sherlock would catalog the hard drive If i left the machine on over night. I never knew that it was doing that, so i would wake up to a crashed mac, thinking the renderer was the culprit. Once i stayed up to watch the render, I saw what was going on, it was an easy fix.

Thanks for the input eblu, heres the breakdown:

Originally posted by eblu
    so it happens at night?
    are you on a LAN?
    using screamernet?
    exotic hardware installed?
    Yeah, it is definitely the Kernal Panic, which I used to get in OS 9 as well. I am on a LAN, but not using Screamernet, and the only thing that could be considered exotic hardware is an EchoFire DV breakout box - Via Firewire. There are thwo other Macs in my vicinity running the same config as myself, and they don't seem to have this problem (Aside from one rare incident a couple months back).

Originally posted by eblu
    does your system check for software updates automatically?
    does your system do anything at night, automatically?
    any distributed computing screensavers?
    No software update checks, or screensavers/energy saver activity, no autobackups or anything. That is what is baffling me.

I also have had this same problem happen while working in LW with a few apps open, but it is hard to reproduce in the same conditions each time....

self flagellating LW monk
    ok now it sounds like a memory problem, or a file corruption problem.

problem is, i've had crashes bc of corrupted files, and apparent memory leaks, but not kernel panics. OSX runs Apps in A protected memory space, which basicaly means its really difficult for applications to steal memory from other applications. and You have way more memory than I have (640 megs).

what kind of animations are they? are you using huge models? Particles? hair? extreme levels of raytracing?
    Now I'm wondering if there is something that you do, that i don't (or vice versa) that might be causing this. For example: many people have found that LW crashes during a render if you dont save the scene and the object files first (happliy losing your work for you in the process). I never experienced this problem after vers 5.6, because I learned to Always save my work, before a render. Another example: I dont have any trouble with scremernet any more, it works exactly the way i expect it to... i dont use it.

this would suck real bad, but i have to mention it... your scenes could be corrupted. Julian Johnson Helped someone edit his scene file with a text editor to remove a line that apparently caused crashes.

so... delete your preference files, look for threads with julian johnson in them (it was fairly recent) check for really big number crunching scenes, and shaky modules (Motion designer etc...)
    other than that I am at a loss to explain it.... bad ram?

I am leaning towards a system/faulty hardware/RAM problem. This unpleasantness only seems to crop up when there is a lot of heavy Lightwave work to be done, usually in the form of rendering. This same issue was occuring some 6 months back, but before I could totally repair the problem, the project was finished and I was on to other work....

All my files are saved before rendering, there is no MD or heavy raytacing going on (one or two reflective objects but that is it).

I may try another clean re-install of LW and see if that fixes it up... Thanks for the brain power on this eblu!

would tend to agree with eblu...ram.fairly easy to check.
    OSX is more intolerant of marginal/faulty ram.
    also seeing that its a dual 800....seems Julian, and some others
    had problems with these units with one of the processors failing
    they seem to work fine under normal loads, but when taxed By LW they failed randomly? also i seem to remember Apple acknowledging problems with a certain serial # range(dp 8oo's) with faulty processors.
    goodluck