Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble with LightWave on dual monitor/card system

Newbie Member

Trouble with LightWave on dual monitor/card system

For some reason, I cannot get LightWave to display "views" on the second monitor - whether this is OpenGL, driver, or other is not known to me.

There is an AGP GeForce4 TI 4600 with one CRT monitor as primary display and a PCI GeForce4 MX 420 with one CRT monitor as secondary display. This is a clean install of Windows XP (just finished) with the NVidia 3.0.87 drivers (since these are the latest that support stereoscopics). No problems with nView, extending the desktop, or displaying video on either monitor, but cannot see LightWave views on the secondary - which leads me to believe that it is related to OpenGL.

What can be done to fix this?

Thank you,

Kuroyume

I have stereo drivers 43.XX on my machine at work. I'll send a link to where I got them. They work and are stable.

Now, I think the problem is that your screen res is too large to handle it. Or you forgot to make it 32bit mode ^_^!

You know, if you have a GF4 Ti4600, the latest drivers will let you use the CRT and VGA as two outputs, thus giving you dualhead on one card.

So yeah, get the latest drivers. If I can't find the link, I'll post them for you... or if you have an FTP, send me an e-mail with the info.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Newbie Member
    Thanks, I'd appreciate the links. Haven't seen anything about stereoscopics beyond 30.87, so am very interested! :0)

The primary display is 1600x1200x32 (21" monitor) and the secondary is 1280x1024x32 (17" monitor). I realize that the GeForce4 TI 4600 can handle two monitors, but after extensive research, most have suggested two separate cards to get OpenGL to work on two monitors (hmmm...) as well as stereoscopics on both. I used to have a primary LCD and a secondary CRT, but that has changed. Maybe the newer drivers correct this problem and I can hook them both back into the TI 4600.

If you can't find the link, you can attach them to an email, just zip them up or Outlook will have a tantrum when trying to do anything with the attachment. My email is:

[email protected]

- Let rip the spam ;0)

Thanks, Lamont!

Kuroyume

Sent the link to you. ^_^!!
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Oh. Lightwave will not run properly with the option "Stereo Enabled/By Hot Key". Make sure it's off.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Newbie Member
    Originally posted by Lamont
    Oh. Lightwave will not run properly with the option "Stereo Enabled/By Hot Key". Make sure it's off.
    Okay. I usually have "Hot Key" enable for stereo. So, off it goes!

Got your link! Thanks again. Will reply back here when done to let you know if it works or there are problems.

Kuroyume

Newbie Member
    Seems that Stereo Control Panel 43.03 has been pulled from everywhere. I haven't been able to get it and the link directories at the source site are no longer there.

One thing that I should note is that I'm using Windows XP Pro (not Home), so it must be a 2000/XP compatible version, not 9ME/XP version.

If it weren't for the lack of a stereo driver in the latest detonator version (43.45), I'd use it.

Setting stereo to "Disabled" on both monitors didn't help the second (under 30.87 drivers).

One last thing, is there a way to save the locations of the Editor windows? I put the Surface, Image Texture, Scene, and Surface Presets onto the secondary display and would like them to open there in future. I have "Save as Default" in Display Options and they reappear on the primary display. Can't seem to find a reference to this in the manual either.

Kuroyume

I have the drivers at work. I'll give them to ya... watch your e-mail tomorrow.

As for the window positions, it will work if the display treats itself as one single large desktop. Not two seperate displays...

It sounds strange, but there was a huge thread back in the day about this.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Newbie Member
    Originally posted by Lamont
    I have the drivers at work. I'll give them to ya... watch your e-mail tomorrow.

As for the window positions, it will work if the display treats itself as one single large desktop. Not two seperate displays...

It sounds strange, but there was a huge thread back in the day about this.
    Well, it should be one single desktop. I have "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" checked and the mouse moves between monitors as if it is, just like when I had them on one card. On the other hand, in nView, the setting is "Standard (nView disabled)" instead of "Horizontal span", which is how multiple video cards are handled, I surmize.

I can easily move the second monitor to the first card as well and see what happens. Might require some resetting after Windows goes all googly over the new setup. ;0)

Looking forward to the driver and will let you know if putting both monitors on the AGP card has a positive effect!

Thanks!!

Kuroyume

I can go ahead and try it before you download it I guess... I just have two machines, one w/Max one with Lightwave... don't ask why...
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Newbie Member
    Why? ;0)

I'm just kidding.

The strangest thing. When I had this set up as dual monitors on a single dual-head card previously (same 30.87, nView, w/Horiz. span), both monitors were separate and could be separately sized in resolution. Now, when I moved the second monitor to the first board (so that both are now on the TI 4600), it shows up as one big long monitor. Very strange indeed. Never had this before.

Good thing, though, is that this worked! LightWave now displays properly on both monitors.

Getting used to everything stretched across the two and loosing my 1600x1200 on the 21" CRT sort of bites. :0( Since one monitor is 17", nView must set to the lowest denominator for available resolutions. Still, I have 1280+1280 x 1024 (2560x1024x32) which is not exactly a bad thing.

So, this gives more incentive for this stereo driver, but how does it handle a single monitor stitched into one?

Kuroyume

I also am running dual monitors with 2 different cards to do it. both are nVidia cards..main is a 128MB GeForce4 Ti4200 and the other is a 32 MB nVidia TNT2 i believe (at work and forget exactly).

My Lightwave won't show the OpenGL stuff on both monitors either...is there a way to make it work w/o putting both monitors on that one video card? I am running Windows XP Pro with nVidia 41.90 drivers, not the latest 43.??.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Ride the wave, the Lightwave!!!

What res? If it's too huge it will display wrong..
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

i believe they are both set to 1152x864. and i think they are both 32bit mode. i'm at work so i can't confirm til later, but any idea now i will try right when i get home. I am running dual 19" CRT monitors.
    Ride the wave, the Lightwave!!!

I will check to see what drivers I have but I know I am running two monitors on a Geforce 3 TI and a Geforce 2 MX and have no problems with open gl on the second monitor.

It was a problem initially then nvidia released nview and it worked perfectly.

~L~
    Peace. Love, and Polygons

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast