Thread: help with a camera

Newbie Member

Question help with a camera

ok..here is my problem I took a trip a while back and i took some video footage from a camecorder but i'v tried to put it on the toaster to edit it but when i put it on the comp it switches to "mpeg" and i cant figure out why cuzz when i put it directly to the television it comes out (uncompressed) but it wont do that on the comp and i just am wandering if any of you know why?
    well if you do thanks in advance!

justin

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Need a little bit more help here, Justin. What type camcorder are you using?

What connections are you using to input to the Toaster? Are you saying the camcorder switches to mpeg?

Version of the Toaster?
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

Newbie Member
    ok..sorry for the lack of info um the type of camcorder is "sony mini dv dcr-trv50" that is the info on it and i think the right conection is called id-2..but im not positive on that...my version of toaster is VT[2] on the conections i dont know if im using the right one. and about changing it to (mpeg) the actual camecorder is not changing it...but when i try to put it on the computer I cant figure out how to make it STAY uncompressed I am quite new at this whole video toaster thing so..sorry if i dont make much since..
    justin
    :)

Are you using Toaster to capture the footage or are you using some other software that came with the camera?

Sounds to me like your using the firewire cable to capture with another app than Toaster.

If you capture the footage via the analog output of your camera with the Toaster's capture then you'll have the ability to choose to capture in uncompressed or any other format that you have available in you comp.
    Have a Great Day

Newbie Member
    ok, sorry i'm really new at this could you explain in detail what you mean? sorry again.

Hey Justin,

Here is what I meant.

To get what you filmed wih your camera to the toaster, you have 2 choices.

1-via the firewire cable. It looks like this

2- via the regular analog cables that will probably look like the cable you use to hook up your VCR to your TV.

With choice 1 you probably end up capturing your video with an application other than the Toaster. So it is that application you have to look into to change the settings so that it capture your video as DV files and not mpeg files.

With choice 2 you end up connecting your camera to the connectors that where supplied with the Toaster card.
    If you have dificulties with figuring out how to connect your camera to the Toaster inputs I recomend you read in the Video Toaster user manual Chapter 2 for more info on the connections.
    For more information on digitizing video with the Toaster you should read chapter 4 of the Video Toaster user manual.

I hope this helps
    Have a Great Day

Newbie Member
    yeah i think that helps alot thanks again for all your help i'll let you know if i get it working...

Victor Tango 3 5 by 5 weaponsInspecto's Avatar
    Hey Justin,

Give me a call if you are still having difficulties. Use my toll free number found at my web site. I'll walk you through it.
    Have you shown your VT[*] to anyone today?

Dave
    http://www.we3m.com