Thread: Left CTRL button woes

Left CTRL button woes

Okay, this is gonna sound a bit strange to be placed on this forum, but i know a lot of you folks play games, so bare with me...

I have this problem with my keyboard/OS/whatever-is-doing-it that whenever i press my left CTRL button in combination with 2 other keys, at the same time, say <left CTRL> + <W> + <D> my computer makes a beep and only executes <left CTRL> + <W> or <left CTRL> + <D> (probably depending on which button i pressed first...)
    Now, this is playing merry hell with my gaming experience as i like to play with WSAD steering and use CTRL for crouching...see my dilemma?...i can't crouch diagonally with this freaking beepy keyboard/OS?see-above-comment...

Now, it seems the left CTRL button is the ONLY friggin' button to behave like this, i have no idea what is making my PC behave like this, it's a new computer and i can't remember ever having this with my previous 2 riggs (i basically turned of ALL those so called Accessability Option XP comes with, so this can't be the cullprit (i hope))

I'd like to have some light shed on this, as i like to have total control over my machine...

Oh, here are the specs btw:

P4 3.06GHz
    ASUS P4P800 Deluxe (E or second edition)
    1GB Kingston PC3200 RAM
    Maxtor 160GB PATA HDD
    GeForce 6800-GT 256MB DDR3
    NEC-3500 DVD-writer
    Logitech Internet Keyboard (the really really cheap no-stupid-functions-and-buttons version)

OS : Windows XP SP1 (i fear this bastard is the culprit)

all drivers up-to-date, all OS fixes installed with the exeption of SP2
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

This sucker is what you need:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=157024

Not an exact answer to your question, but a nice alternative
    Click here if you do not want to wait any longer
    (or if your browser does not automatically forward you)

That's interesting, I found a similar thing a while ago, if you clear your scene using cntrl+n and press 'm' as well, the scene clears instantly, without a confirm dialog. I do it all the time now, saves a keystroke - only works with the left cntrl.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Nice alternative Capt LW ...but indeed not i was looking for...

This is one those problems that makes you scream at the way search engines on the internet work...try doing a search on this...it's impossible to get a coherent answer from Google

Check your BIOS... you say it's a new machine - maybe it has issues with keyboard typematic speed or whatever it is called in BIOS....

And maybe it's the keyboard itself! That's why I always buy the cheapest sorry keyboards around, so I can smash them when I get mad at the world!
    Nice scapegoats, those cheap keboards, yes they are....

Nope, not in the Bios, i chaked that...nothing there, but, type matic rate setting, and that just handles the speed of the a pressed button...

And as i said, it's the cheapest Logitech keyboard on the market, excact same one i use on my other 2 rigs...can't be that either...

I'm sure it's something XP does, it has to be...it has so many bullsh*t functions that stay attached to your system even though i uninstalled/turned-off/deleted/trashed-the-file them...

Hiya, my brotherr had this exact same problem but it was with windows 98 or 95 and while playing Tomb Raider the original game. He couldn't hold Ctrl, shift and left at the same time, it just would beep and wouldn't do it.

Can't really help because we never solved it for that particular game, it never did it with tomb raider 2... and that was years ago on a pentium 133mhz with a stonking 16meg of RAM (upgraded from a quite significant 8 for a mere 200 quid)

Anyway, just kinda pointing out that it may not be XP
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

EUREKA!

I figured it out...

You ready?...It's the keyboard afterall!...
    I tested it by pluging in my Mac G4 keyboard (on a PC, yes i know, forbidden crossbreading ) and CTRL WSAD works...

So, after some further testing, i also noticed that my old Logitech Internet Keyboard is missing some vital things that my new Logitech Internet Keyboard has...Appearantly Logitech redesigned these keyboards somewhere along the road and added a Mute, Volume - and Volume + button (how on earth did i miss those?)

This probably also means they somehow redesigned the keyboard key matrix which dis-allows for certain key combinations (see how a keyboard works : http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/keyboard2.htm), or atleast, that's my wild guess...i'm really curious about this now, so i think i'll email Logitech...